PDA

View Full Version : Strap tradition

Drogo
Mar-18-2007, 10:04pm
A newbie question for A style mandos....

I've been putting the head end loop just above the nut. #seems to work fine. #But just recently have seen a few pics with the loop in the middle of the head, between tuning pegs. #Made me wonder if there is a tradition, or actual reason, to put the loop up there. #Is it in the tradition of only putting the strap on your right shoulder? or something else?

Walter Newton
Mar-18-2007, 10:12pm
If you put it up between the tuning pegs (as I do) it just moves it a bit further away from your hand than having it behind the nut, gives you a little more clearance.

otterly2k
Mar-18-2007, 10:20pm
Drogo- there are different ways to attach a strap to an A - style mando... above the nut, farther up on the peghead, add a strap button on the heel, if there's an elevated fingerboard, tie under the elevation... etc.

Do whatever is comfy for you.

PseudoCelt
Mar-19-2007, 6:15am
On my main mandolin and my mandola, I have to tie the strap on between the tuners because there isn't enough clearance under the strings at the nut. My other mandolin has plenty of room under the strings at the nut, so I tie the strap on there. Doesn't feel much different either way.

Patrick

MandoCincy
Mar-19-2007, 2:00pm
Yep - having it in between tuners keeps it from interfering with you hand - I find that right by the nut gets in the way when stretching for some chords.

Even better, IMHO, is a heel button. I have two A style mandolins, only one of which has the heel button, but I definitely prefer that arrangement.

mandodan1960
Mar-19-2007, 5:30pm
Is it in the tradition of only putting the strap on your right shoulder?

I have always heard that was started to accomodate the cowboy hats.
MandoDan

Drogo
Mar-19-2007, 9:13pm
Cool, I'll try it. #My strap is leather so not sure if it'll fit. #

The comment about the right shoulder I read in a Bruce Dix book and he said the tradition came because bluegrass guys didn't want to take off their cowboy hats... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

DryBones
Mar-19-2007, 9:18pm
have a $10 strap button installed on the heel and never worry about this problem again. I finally did it to my Eastman 505 and just plain love it now. Threw on a $17 Levy adjustable mandolin strap with holes on both ends and its perfect. Felt so right I did the same thing on my Mid-Mo! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif