PDA

View Full Version : New ebony tailpiece for sullivan

bradeinhorn
Mar-17-2007, 12:06pm
So, I recently acquired this John Sullivan mandolin, however it came sans tp cover so I decided with all the other nice ebony appointments on it, i'd have an ebony one made. my buddy adam buchwald did it, and i think it looks great. tough to fully illustrate it here as it's all black on black, but i will do my best. this first shot shows how it mimics john's headstock design.

bradeinhorn
Mar-17-2007, 12:08pm
Slide it down a bit and you can see how nicely it blends with the pickguard:

bradeinhorn
Mar-17-2007, 12:11pm
and all slid on. very sleek.

bradeinhorn
Mar-17-2007, 12:15pm
Finally-at home in powder blue calton:

mandolooter
Mar-17-2007, 12:15pm
nice touch!

MML
Mar-17-2007, 12:25pm
Shes a beauty, I like the strap too.... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

cooper4205
Mar-17-2007, 12:27pm
that tailpiece really "ties it together" as the Dude would say

got any soundclips, i'd be interested to hear it

bradeinhorn
Mar-17-2007, 12:32pm
thanks guys - here's a little youtube clip i put up the other day while playing around with the mac camera and mic. #this was all prior to a bunch of fret work and setup but in any case (i also one day strive to this mando more justice - but you'll get the idea):

Sullivan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCS-hV4X01w)

JEStanek
Mar-17-2007, 5:15pm
The trebles on that Sullivan have a nice ring... almost like a... what's the word... Tang.

Nice pickin' and that TP looks great on there.

Jamie

mandroid
Mar-24-2007, 12:24pm
The Bill James TP worked well to do the same sort of thing.
Epoxied the ebony on the lid, then finished the shaping and finish sanding.
then the TP was installed..
the Lebeda had a big difference in the end pin jack location so that part , the doweling to plug hole, and re drilling the shifted endpin jack hole was turned over to the local instrument Ace.[I bought the ebony piece from him] the small stuff could be managed by the Shop-less Mois.

mandolooter
Mar-24-2007, 1:31pm
nice version of St Annes ya picked there...my favorite fiddle tune by far!

bradeinhorn
Mar-24-2007, 6:09pm
thanks!

DryBones
Mar-24-2007, 6:22pm
sounds like you are already doing it justice!

bradeinhorn
May-09-2007, 7:54pm
This mandolin is for sale-just bumping the thread for those interested in seeing pictures.