PDA

View Full Version : Midis flat

Mike Buesseler
Mar-16-2007, 11:24am
I don't know where else to post this. For some time now, whenever I play a midi or a .tef file, they play out of tune--flat, to be specific--on my computer. I'm on PC, Windows XP. My mandolin is in tune--checked it many times.

Anyone know how to fix this?

groveland
Mar-16-2007, 11:49am
What kind of soundcard on your machine? The synth in the soundcard may be tunable.

Mike Buesseler
Mar-16-2007, 11:52am
Ummm, how would I know this? I'm not totally computer illiterate, but don't know where to look for things like this...

Jim Broyles
Mar-16-2007, 12:08pm
Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Audio Tab > Bottom pane is default MIDI Playback device. Click the Hardware tab, find this device in the list and see if it is working properly. Update the drivers, or open the device and see if there is a pitch control which has been set to (-).

Mike Buesseler
Mar-16-2007, 12:19pm
Well, as well as I understand, I followed your instructions. Everything says it's working properly, and I found no pitch control info at all. When you say update the drivers...how do I know if they NEED updating? This is fairly new machine, wife updates things frequently....This may be beyond the 'scope' of the Cafe. I don't mean to push my luck here. Thanks for the help so far.

Jim Broyles
Mar-16-2007, 12:41pm
If there are no better drivers available, it will tell you so and you can just close the program. I would go to the web site of the device's manufacturer and check for the latest driver.

Mike Buesseler
Mar-16-2007, 12:44pm
Thanks, JB. I'm getting to the 'innards' of this issue. You're suggestions got me going in the right direction (I think). I just haven't found any references to any pitch control. I'll keep trying. Oh, my midi driver(?) is "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth"...that seem right?

Jim Broyles
Mar-16-2007, 1:02pm
Click "About" and see what the digital audio output device is. Mine says Realtek AC97 Audio. That is the driver you want to update.

Mike Buesseler
Mar-16-2007, 1:43pm
...I'm getting an education here, jb. I'll let you know....THANKS! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

mandolooter
Mar-16-2007, 4:13pm
mine does the same thing...never got it to change...but i was never walked thru it either.