PDA

View Full Version : Newfound road mandolin

kyken
Mar-10-2007, 6:43pm
here's some pix of my latest mandolin. It's an oil varnish distressed with a BIG sound.

kyken
Mar-10-2007, 6:44pm
some more views........

kyken
Mar-10-2007, 6:45pm
I hand stained this one instead of airbrush.

kyken
Mar-10-2007, 6:46pm
I like the effect, but harder to do........

kyken
Mar-10-2007, 6:46pm
another........

kyken
Mar-10-2007, 6:47pm
another........

kyken
Mar-10-2007, 6:48pm
last one....thanks......

Mark Walker
Mar-10-2007, 9:29pm
Ken, that's another beauty. Very unique! Keep up the great work! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

david blair
Mar-11-2007, 2:59am
Ken
That really floats my boat! Beatiful one piece back, where's the wood from? Did you seal the wood before staining? Also wondering water or alcohol stain? I like the binding, and the big scroll too. Can I borrow it for a while and add some distress?

David

kyken
Mar-11-2007, 6:44am
That wood is 100 year old red spruce. No I didn't seal the wood before staining, I wanted to put as small amount of finish on as possible for sound. The one piece back is domestic red maple from here in KY. thanx.

Mark Walker
Mar-11-2007, 7:43am
Ken - is that a Gibson-type tailpiece? Were you going to look into those James tailpieces too? They all look great; I like your Orrico ones as well!

kyken
Mar-11-2007, 8:02am
That's a James tailpiece. That's what he wanted. I like the Orricos too. They are very artistic. Both are good......

Skip Kelley
Mar-15-2007, 6:24am
Beautiful mandolin! Ken, you really captured the distressed look! Nice job! I Love the wood selection!

Kip Welty
Mar-18-2007, 8:53pm
One of my Fav's I have ever seen. Being a mando player and a collector of 18th Century American Furniture in old finish, I simply love this look. I am lefty. Have you ever made a F Lefty ? This looks like a piece of furniture I have (chest of drawers) that was made around 1760. It still has it's original finish and has that same awesome patina as your mando. Awesome.

kyken
Mar-19-2007, 5:57am
Yes, I've made several Lefty mandolins. As a matter of fact, the one before this one was left. There's a topic on it right now in this section under new mandolin(great mandolin).

Kip Welty
Mar-20-2007, 8:48pm
I tried to find the thread, but no luck. Any idea how to see the topic ?

Thank you,

Kip

kyken
Mar-21-2007, 11:30am
It's in this same section(post a picture of your mandolin)it says" New Mandolin". It's only a few topics below this one.

seththedude
Mar-21-2007, 12:21pm
I really like the coloring and finish on this one. Really nice Ken.

Seth

Kip Welty
Mar-21-2007, 3:59pm
found it. awesome, ok, i am beginning the process of trying to acquire one. I simply have to, they are awesome ! it is done in 2 steps, 1) saving the $$$$$, and the hard one ........... 2) convincing my wife I need a second mandolin.

#1 is doable, #2 is another story, to be continued........

ronlane3
Mar-21-2007, 7:02pm
#2) convincing my wife I need a second mandolin. #
Convincing my wife I needed a second was easy. Convincing her that I need the 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. That gets more difficult.

She actually let me have 3 for a little while.

Kip Welty
Mar-22-2007, 9:28am
what is your tactic ?

Steve-o
Mar-22-2007, 11:54am
what is your tactic ?
I'll chime in here... I wanted to ask my wife if I could order a custom (2nd) mando, but wasn't sure the best way. Then another guy on the Cafe said "Don't do what I did! My wife found out when she delievered my Poe. She's our mail carrier. Was not a happy home for quite some time." I thought it was so funny that I shared it with my wife and when she learned I wanted the new mando, she immediately agreed! Sometimes a guy get's lucky. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Kip Welty
Mar-22-2007, 7:07pm
This could really be started as a whole new thread, maybe under the category of "Theory, Technique, Tips and Tricks"

DryBones
Mar-22-2007, 7:14pm
Kip,
So you're the guy who got the 615 from Dennis or is that from Gianna?

Kip Welty
Mar-22-2007, 7:17pm
yes. I purchased from Dennis about 6 mths ago ? Something like that ?

F5G WIZ
May-26-2007, 7:56am
Got to hear and see this mando in action last night in Hillsboro Ohio at a small festival and I must say that it has a killer sound! Very impressive especially being so new! Rob seems very happy with his new mandolin as he should be. Beautiful work Ken. Keep it up.

Darrin