PDA

View Full Version : Value of 1961 gibson f5?

stream41
Mar-06-2007, 8:32pm
Hey guys, thinking about buying this. Here's a description from the seller:

"Very nice shape. Serial number 22048 embossed on the back of the headstock and clearly printed on orange label inside (no union made). Appears to be all original with no repairs of any kind. No cracks but some tiny dings and bruises. The scroll look like it has a fracture but not broken, maybe glued at some time. The tuners were replaced when I got it but the original gold kluson deluxe single line tuners are now back on (the buttons are shrinking and one was replaced) but the replacement tuners left 2 screw holes visable. Wear spot on the back of the neck from playing and the pickgard is missing. Nice pink lined original Gibson form fitting case."

What do y'all think it's worth? Thanks!

-Jesse

Danny Clark
Mar-06-2007, 10:04pm
i would think in the neighborhood of $4000 -5000 most this period do not sound very good,although i have a 67 that was reworked by Randy Wood in the 70's,its a great sounding mandolin,for that kind of money i think you have plenty of other choices such as modern Gibsons and small shopbuilders also
Elderly has a 59 @$8000 ,two years older but that another decade and sometimes that means a couple of grand!
Danny

f5loar
Mar-07-2007, 12:53am
Only 27 made in '61. Sounds like a '61 but I would want to verify it by the factory order number found in the lower F hole. Some of these may have already been regraduated out which can be a good thing and a bad thing.
Good if it improved the sound, bad if it made the top too thin and it sinks in. I'd say in the $4000 to $6000 range depending on condition and rather or not it is indeed the original finish.

stream41
Mar-07-2007, 2:24am
Thanks for the opinions, guys!

Mar-30-2007, 9:54am
Condition sounds rough.

Added tuner holes is a big deal for value, wear spots, no pickguard. I would not pay a collector price for this.

Brian Aldridge
Mar-30-2007, 12:27pm
A big factor in it's personal value to an individual would be what your interest in it is. I mean, will it be your player, or do you just want the log because that was the year you were born. No douubt you can get a better instrument for the money as far as sound and playability, fit and finish, overall looks and weight and feel... well you get the idea.

Ken Waltham
Mar-31-2007, 7:30pm
What's a 1961 F5 worth? Very little, would be my opinion. Unless it was to complete a collection, or, as Bian says, it has some other meaning for you.
I'd buy a new Gibson instead.

f5loar
Apr-04-2007, 10:16pm
I agree Ken for the same price you could pick up a new or sligthly used MM Fern Gibson and have twice the mandolin in terms of tone and playability. But for collector status a minty '61 would be hard to come by.