PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky 380s tailpiece cover

Sandy Beckler
Mar-06-2007, 4:25pm
Hello All

I am getting ready to replace the strings on my 380S (for the first time)and have a couple of questions that perhaps someone may be able to help with.
1) How is the tailpiece cover removed?
2) Any suggestions for replacement strings? (Im thinking
J74's) Please share your experiences. "Good and Bad"

Thanks...Sanchan

Gail Hester
Mar-06-2007, 6:05pm
To remove the tailpiece, hold the mandolin in your lap with the headstock facing away from you. The tailpiece cover will slide toward you. Avoid prying or leveraging the tailpiece, the part that is screwed into the tail of the mandolin, by bracing with your thumbs and sliding the cover toward you with your index fingers. J74s are a great choice of strings. Change them one at a time so you don't change your bridge position. Best......

Bob Denton
Mar-07-2007, 11:55am
You may also consider changing the bridge. I replaced the one on my 380S with a Cumberland and it made a significant difference.

When you change the strings is a good time to check intonation and the actual fit of the current bridge. It should be an exact fit to the top..no light coming through when the bridge is on the top with litle or no pressure.

Check out the Frets web sit eon positioning the bridge and checking intonation.

The 380s is a great little mando but it can be made even better with a decent bridge and a good set up.

Cya!

Mattg
Mar-08-2007, 3:34pm
All I have to do is play a few bars and the tail piece cover on my 380s pops right off all by itself.