PDA

View Full Version : New mandolin

Chuck Brown
Mar-06-2007, 1:43pm
I just bought a new Silver Angel mandolin from Ken Ratcliff in Ky,An F style destressed model,I have four top end mandolins and none of them touch this Ratcliff by a long shot,The tones are the best I have ever heard to this day,The playablity is great,very strong sounding,projecting better than the $10,000.00 ones I own,And the 150 year old red spruce top let's it sustain forever,,I should have bought it first and I would have saved allot of money buying the others I wasted my money on,The mandolin looks eighty years old,It's beautiful the colors he used are the best,It's got them all beat,Sound,looks and plays great you name it,He sent me pictures all along as he built it and kept in touch with me to do it the way I wanted it,,I can not say enough good things about the builder,and the mandolin,,If your in the market for the best mandolin out their,check out Silver Angel Mandolins,and get what you need the first time around and save your money,searching forever like I did for 5 years of buying mandolins,,Thank You,Chuck Brown,,1-828-894-2955 if you have any questions about my mandolin,I'll send you a Cd of the tones of it if you want one and if I have any left,God Bless you all,,

F5G WIZ
Mar-06-2007, 2:05pm
Congrats on the new mando. Where are the pictures? As they say "money spent on a good instrument is only parked" guess we will be seeing some more high end mandos in the classifieds. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Mark Walker
Mar-20-2007, 10:38am
Yes - pictures please! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

As has been mentioned a time or two, Ken & Laura's mandolins are certainly among those with 'bang for your buck!'

Congrats & enjoy that Angel!

Lee
Mar-20-2007, 11:57am
Laura just sent me additional pics of the A-style in the classifieds. Another looker!

bgmando
Mar-20-2007, 2:01pm
I'd like to see the front of the one in classifies, wish she had posted 2 pics.

bgmando
Mar-20-2007, 2:04pm
Chuck -- welcome to the SA club.

Mine is sounding extra good these days with Bush monels if you want some tone variety in the mix with bronze.

HOpe you keep enjoying yours.

Doug Edwards
Mar-20-2007, 4:05pm
# Mine is sounding extra good these days with Bush monels if you want some tone variety in the mix with bronze.
Bill, you got got to try the Fire Wire strings! Make it sing.

Kip Welty
Mar-20-2007, 8:46pm
Is this a lefty ?

kyken
Mar-21-2007, 11:33am
Yes, this is the lefty we were talking about.

kyken
Mar-21-2007, 2:41pm
here's some pix of Chuck's mandolin.....

kyken
Mar-21-2007, 2:42pm
the top. It's weird building lefthanded. I found that after working all day, I had trouble shifting my car!

kyken
Mar-21-2007, 2:43pm
the back........

bgmando
Mar-21-2007, 2:45pm
A lefty roaming around Winfield is what led me to SA ownership. I hope to run into that mando again someday to compare with mine.
I did get a tad disoriented just looking at the lefty pics. Ha.

tnpathfinder
Mar-21-2007, 3:15pm
I had to do a double take there for a second...the lefty thing threw me off. Looks wonderful indeed. I have played a Distressed Silver Angel they are just amazing.

DryBones
Mar-21-2007, 3:23pm
<DROOL> love the fingerboard and the Orrico tailpiece!

mandolinoman
Mar-25-2007, 10:25am
Hi, Everybody,

Let me share with you all that, recently, I bought a brand new bowlback mandolin from the region of Abruzzo, Italy. #Of course, that region is not known to play mandolins, but accordions. #I bought it through Ebay. I would say that it is made, possibly, in Catania, Sicily. #Inside the mandolin hole, it says "COMET - Lavorazione a mano". #Meaning "Labor by hand". #Here is the photo of the front of the mandolin.

Best friendly regards,

George

mandolinoman
Mar-25-2007, 10:27am
Hi, Everybody,

And here is the photo of the back of the mandolin.

Best friendly regards,

George

bluegrassrulz
Apr-12-2007, 8:36pm
i bought one of laura's mandolins used from another cafe member a few months back....and I've been very impressed as it has broken in. The chop is really blowing me away on this little mandolin, and it plays a good little melody line too. If you're ever looking for a very affordable mandolin, one of the Ratcliff A's is the way to go.

Mark Walker
Apr-13-2007, 7:23am
Did I miss something? # That's a beautiful bowlback mandolin, but how did it get into the middle of the Silver Angel thread? #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Spencer - there are at least three Laura Ratcliff A-styles within a few miles of me, and they're all excellent sounding and playing mandolins. #Everyone agrees they've got a great chop to them! #Chalk some up for the women - Laura Ratcliff and Gail Hester are making some top-shelf mandolins!

We could all agree to say to them, "YOU GO, GIRL!" #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif