PDA

View Full Version : Flat Top Mandos.. Banjo Mandolins...

Dioptase
Feb-01-2004, 2:11am
Well everyone, my A9 is finally on it's way. I'm excited. 900$ may not be much to a lot of you, but it's the single largest purchase I've ever made except an 1100$ flight to India.

So.. now I've got this Michael Kelly to deal with. Keep it as a camper? (I do plenty of camping). I've thought about it. But I tried that with my guitars, and my nicest instrument always seems to end up by my side, sun rain or snow.

So I've been considering possibly trading for a flattop or banjolin.. or maybe both (I've seen some deals in both camps).

I tried a (heartwood) Parsons flat top out in Los Angelos. The sound was beautiful. Anyone have any experiences with these, or another direction I might look? I know lots of you will advise Mid-Mo. Anyone play the two side by side?

How about manjos? I see them advertised at all prices on Ebay.. but honestly, I wouldn't know a quality instrument from a beater. Any advice in this reguard?

Thanks!
Micah

doanepoole
Feb-01-2004, 10:38am
In the flattop arena, I have played one Weber Aspen that had a beautiful tone...only played one, though. I think these are higher priced than your Mid-Mos and Parsons, and not sure that the difference in tonal quality is worth the difference...that would have to be an individual decision.

I am not a fan of the banjolin sound. I think tenor banjos may be worth looking into if you want something twangy tuned in 5ths.

John Flynn
Feb-01-2004, 10:50am
I have to agree that the Mid-mo would be great choice. I think it would be much more versatile that a banjolin/manjo. Those instruments, even the good ones, have so little sustain that they come across as just pure percussion with no tone, especially in an ensemble. As the previous post said, a tenor banjo would be the way to go if you really need the banjo sound. Another option to think about would be an octave mandolin. You could probably find a used Trinity College or equivalent. Even the lower priced ones have a great sound. That is what I am considering for my next purchase.

Steve L
Feb-01-2004, 4:35pm
Micah, I own both a Mid Mo M2 and a maple Parsons flat top. I like both...I think the Mid Mo has a slightly richer tone but the Parsons, with a 1 3/16"nut and oversized frets and adjustable bridge and truss rod plays a little better for me. I don't think you could make a mistake with either of these if you're sure you want a flat top.

WireBoy
Feb-01-2004, 7:00pm
I'm a brand new Parsons owner. #It is an F5 style though. #BUT that 1 3/16 radius fingerboard and oversize frets really make for comfortable play regardless of flattop or archtop. #you won't be disappointed with Fit and Finish either. #A good looker and an easy player - hard to beat that.

mcashion
Feb-04-2004, 8:12pm
a friend brought a steel resonator Johnson mandolin to practice last night. Very interesting sound. It cut above the fiddle on Amazing Grace playing a countermelody and we all immediately decided he should play it at our next gig. Sounded better than a banjolin by far. Wonder how it would sound with a slide on the pinkie?

Martin Jonas
Feb-05-2004, 5:53am
a friend brought a steel resonator Johnson mandolin to practice last night. #Very interesting sound. #It cut above the fiddle on Amazing Grace playing a countermelody and we all immediately decided he should play it at our next gig. #Sounded better than a banjolin by far. #Wonder how it would sound with a slide on the pinkie?
There's a sound clip of a solid metal resonator mandolin being played here (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3701380096&category=10179). This one looks pretty spectacular, but I have to say that I can't cope with the tone on that clip; it sounds incredibly harsh and messy. Maybe that's what one wants from a resonator mandolin, but it's not for me.

Martin