PDA

View Full Version : Best CBOM accomp't in IRISH recording?

steve V. johnson
May-09-2004, 2:29pm
A friend asked me to point out examples of bouzouki accompaniments that I liked on Irish trad CDs, so I'm in research mode...

What are your favorite examples? For this exercise, let's not restrict it to "bouzoukis," but open it to the whole CBOM lot.

Thanks!

stv

Steve L
May-09-2004, 4:49pm
Alec Finn has done some stunning duet work with fiddler Frankie Gavin and whistle player Mary Bergin. #Jaime McMenemy plays great stuff on old Battlefield Band recordings, Kornog's records and the recent Fred Morrison CD.

Then there's the entire recorded output of Donal Lunny, Andy Irvine and Ciran Curran. #And this doesn't even begin to scratch the surface.

steve V. johnson
May-09-2004, 10:18pm
Alec Finn has done some stunning duet work with fiddler Frankie Gavin and whistle player Mary Bergin. Jaime McMenemy plays great stuff on old Battlefield Band recordings, Kornog's records and the recent Fred Morrison CD.

Then there's the entire recorded output of Donal Lunny, Andy Irvine and Ciran Curran. And this doesn't even begin to scratch the surface.
Well, ok, that covers it then.

Thanks,

stv

Ward Elliott
May-12-2004, 1:23am
How about Michael Holmes with Dervish, he may not play a lot of real intricate stuff like Alec Finn, but I sure do love his playing. I got to see them in Charlottesville VA a couple months ago and they were fantastic. The zook carrying the bottom and the mandola weaving in and out were fabulous! #Ward

POB
May-12-2004, 2:11am
All excellent suggestions so far. Here's a couple that spring to my mind, in no particular order:

Brendan O'Regan features on lots of good recordings - I remember being all excited by his playing on Vinnie Kilduff's "The Boys From The Blue Hill" when I was a young fella thinking about buying a bouzouki.

I've always liked Eoin O'Neill's playing. Here's a description: Eoin O'Neill (http://home.hccnet.nl/h.speek/bouzouki/eoin.html)

Generally, I'm not a huge fan of ADAD tuning and extensive use of the capo, but this guy is good. At the end of the day, what's important is the sound he makes in the context of the music he's accompanying, and he does a really fine job.

Also check out Pat Marsh. You can hear him on his sister Josephine's eponymous album and on recordings by the group Calico.

wannabethile
May-12-2004, 11:38am
robin and marian by nickel creek!! thats the greatest song there is. you should defintley download that one.

POB
May-12-2004, 2:16pm
Oh no! There have been about a gazillion "Nickel Creek Ain't Bluegrass" threads here and elsewhere, and now we're in danger of this turning into a "Nickel Creek Ain't Irish Traditional Music" thread! If I'm correct in assuming that the "Robin and Marian" of the title are Robin Hood and Maid Marian, then a tune written by an American musician about English folklore figures in a non-Irish setting AIN'T IRISH TRAD! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

(Just in case anyone takes this too seriously, I'm a huge fan of Nickel Creek and think that "Robin and Marian" is a fine piece of music.)

Dolamon
May-12-2004, 2:21pm
ALL of the above are worth listening to. A local (Chicago) group which is developing quite a following all over the world is Bohola # (http://www.bohola.com/content/faq.html)which is a remarkable trio of Fiddle, Piano Accordian and Dordan (which is the Biggest Bouzouki I've ever seen). Pat Broaders the Zookist calls it Brigit and he really weaves his way in their choice of tunes.

Interesting group to hear ... if you get a chance to see them, be ready to be amazed and leave with your sides aching from laughter. They'll be in both Fayettville and Little Rock on the 14th and 15th of May.

dane
May-12-2004, 9:44pm
For pure accompaniment work, I've always been a big fan of Zan McLeod. #He switches off between guitar and bouzouki, but his style is similar on both instruments. #My favorite examples of his work are on James Kelly's "Ring Session" and Dan Grotewohl's "Bear in the Greengrass." #Both are wonderful CDs.

And despite the CBOM focus here, I think any discussion of Irish accompaniment is incomplete without mention of the incomparable rhythm guitarist John Doyle. #His work with Solas, as well as in accompanying players like Liz Carroll and John Williams, is IMHO absolutely without equal. #He's certainly someone that every CBOM player can learn a lot from.

steve V. johnson
May-13-2004, 12:02am
How about Michael Holmes with Dervish, he may not play a lot of real intricate stuff like Alec Finn, but I sure do love his playing. I got to see them in Charlottesville VA a couple months ago and they were fantastic. The zook carrying the bottom and the mandola weaving in and out were fabulous! Ward
[QUOTE]

When I got my Phil Crump B-II, it just scared me it is sooo deep. I hadn't expected this much bass response.

We heard Dervish in Killarney at the Gathering Festival and I understood. Holmes does indeed carry the bottom. Wonderful!
Thanks!

stv

steve V. johnson
May-13-2004, 12:05am
All excellent suggestions so far. Here's a couple that spring to my mind, in no particular order:

Brendan O'Regan features on lots of good recordings - I remember being all excited by his playing on Vinnie Kilduff's "The Boys From The Blue Hill" when I was a young fella thinking about buying a bouzouki.

I've always liked Eoin O'Neill's playing. Here's a description: Eoin O'Neill (http://home.hccnet.nl/h.speek/bouzouki/eoin.html)

Generally, I'm not a huge fan of ADAD tuning and extensive use of the capo, but this guy is good. At the end of the day, what's important is the sound he makes in the context of the music he's accompanying, and he does a really fine job.

Also check out Pat Marsh. You can hear him on his sister Josephine's eponymous album and on recordings by the group Calico.

I haven't heard of Brendan O'Regan! Great, thanks!

Eoin let me play his Joe Foley zouk one night in Ennis, and it's fabulous. I really enjoy his playing a lot.

Alright! More new stuff, thanks!

stv

steve V. johnson
May-13-2004, 12:09am
For pure accompaniment work, I've always been a big fan of Zan McLeod. He switches off between guitar and bouzouki, but his style is similar on both instruments. My favorite examples of his work are on James Kelly's "Ring Session" and Dan Grotewohl's "Bear in the Greengrass." Both are wonderful CDs.

And despite the CBOM focus here, I think any discussion of Irish accompaniment is incomplete without mention of the incomparable rhythm guitarist John Doyle. His work with Solas, as well as in accompanying players like Liz Carroll and John Williams, is IMHO absolutely without equal. He's certainly someone that every CBOM player can learn a lot from.
[QUOTE]

There's a cut on piper Kieran O'Hare's self-released (and eponymous) CD called "Give It The Lash" which is three Scottish whistle tunes, and it is the first time I heard John Doyle play bouzouki. It's fantastic, really spooky. In C minor, if I recall properly...

The guitar and fiddles come in on the last of the three, but before that it's just the whistle and Johnny. It's really great.

Thanks,

stv

chinatogalway
May-16-2004, 10:27pm
I would probaby put Andy Irvine and Donal Lunny top of the list, and Andy Irvine being TOP of the top of the list:D

mandolman
May-17-2004, 5:49am
Ok for Andy Irvine, Donnal Lunny..... but other one very good !

Michael Holmes of Dervish

Frank Le Bloas of Storvan. The most famous bouzouki player in Breton Music

danb
May-17-2004, 6:17am
You might not have heard of Dun Creagan.. Rick Gagne plays a sobell 10-stringer on their disks. If you can find "The 80's Live" you'll like it, great backing, and generally a band marked by fantastic arrangements.

Roger Landes has backed on numerous recordings, very good stuff. Paul Kotapish's work on the first "Open House" albums is very nice too. Eoin O'Neill is a favorite of mine, I have worn out multiple copies of a tape of him backing john Williams at Milwaukee Ceilidh

kmmando
May-17-2004, 10:54am
My vote goes to Alec Finn. Uniquely stylish,dynamic and inventive on 6 string Greek bouzouki. No-one has ever come close to emulating his sound or style. And it goes beyond accompanying tunes. His arrangement of song accompanyment is superb. Listen to Alec accompanying Mary Black singing "Johnny I hardly knew ye", on De Dannan's Anthem, or the seminal "Rambling Irishman" with Dolores Keane singing. Just sublime. But, thereagain, I'm biased!
Kevin
http://mysite.freeserve.com/kevinmacleod/