PDA

View Full Version : Passernig mandolin info needed

tterral
Mar-01-2007, 6:18pm
I have checked the archives and it seems that these mandolins are very highly thought of by the few people that have an opportunity to own/play them. I was wondering if anyone could discuss the tone, playability, construction quality, etc. of these mandolins. I called Smokey Mountain Guitars (Passernig's exclusive dealer) and they were very enthusiastic about them. Sure they have a financial interest, but they also sell Collings as well as other brands and they feel these mandolins stand up to anything they sell. I also have spoken with Stefan, who was very generous with his time, and was asking about some minor customization - 1-3/16" nut, lighter stain/finish - and it sounds like Stefan builds what Stefan builds and that is that. This is not necessarily a bad thing, just a fact. These sound like very interesting mandolins.

pickinNgrinnin
Mar-01-2007, 10:06pm
Tim-

I've owned my Passernig F5 for close to a year now. It has an Adirondack top. I bought it sight unseen from Dan at Smokey Mt. Guitars. He had so many positive things to say about Stephan's Mandolins that I thought I'd give one a try. I knew I had a trial period to check it out and figured if I did not like the Mando, I would just be out some shipping money. His new Mandolins don't come up for sale too often as he runs a small shop by himself. That was another reason I thought I'd give this a try as the ones he delivers to Dan's store, don't stay around too long. Once I received the Mandolin, I took it out of the case and played a few fiddle tunes. I knew in the first five minutes I was going to keep this F5. It was everything and more of what Dan described it to be. No hype from Dan - he was just telling the truth. I've played and owned a lot of fine Mandolins over the past 25 years of playing and this SP is among the best I've played and is the best I've owned.

Stephan worked with Bill Collings for a bit over 4 years. During that time, Stephan helped Bill bring the A style Collings Mandolins to production. I've said before that Bill's attention to detail was not lost of Stephan. This Mandolin is extremely clean fit and finish wise for a completely hand made instrument. No CNC work here but it's close to being that clean. He builds them with 18th century tools.

He definitely builds them his way. Stephan told me a potential buyer asked him to build a Mandolin out of some wood he would supply. Stephan did not want to do that. Like Shayne mentioned, he does not go for the flashy woods - just the woods that will be best for tone. Dan has been after Stephan for awhile to put his name on the headstock. It looks like he eventually wore him down as I see his new Mandolins have Passernig on the headstock instead of SP.

The Mandolin has a lightly radiused fretboard which makes for easy playing. The Adirondack top seems to provide vitrually unlimited headroom. You can play it has hard as you want and the tone does not break up. Very woofy chop and the notes really pop. It's a very powerful instrument.

I've had the opportunity to speak with Stephan a few times and he's a nice fellow. He views his Mandolins as "Folk Instruments." He is an artist by training, a painter I believe. Given more time for building, he has the potential to be included in the same circle as another well known Austin builder - Tom Ellis.

I had mine up for sale awhile back to help pay for my son's college tuition but I was recently able to dodge that bullet. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Dan certainly sells a lot of Mandolins in his store but believe what he tells you about Stephan's Mandolins. I found he was right on.

tterral
Mar-02-2007, 12:18pm
Thanks for the replies so far. Shayne I saw your add and appreciate your comments. With all due respect, new Passernigs were $3,850 until the current batch Stefan has just started (those are going to be in the $4,200 range now) and I am wondering why the $4,000 asking price. I assume you are negotiable on the price and know you have the added fingerboard, but I am wondering if I am just missing something. Please do not take this as me trying to be a jerk, I am just curious. I am really wanting an adirondack top anyway and I believe yours is European spruce, but I gotta tell you that is one fine looking mandolin. While it is more than I originally wanted to spend, I am thinking I may have found a mandolin I will feel comfortable spending that kind of money on sight unseen (I just wifh Stefan would allow a "little" customization, oh well).

pickinNgrinnin
Mar-02-2007, 1:01pm
Tim, if you bought Shayne's, you would be saving $200.00

Stephan told me back when I was looking to sell mine, that he would extend the warranty for two years to the 2nd owner for structural issues but not for cosmetic issues.

So save $200, get a warranty (that I doubt you would ever need) and no waiting for the next batch. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

tterral
Mar-02-2007, 1:22pm
Do you know how Stefan joins his neck to the body - compound dove tail joint?

tterral
Mar-02-2007, 1:43pm
Is Euorpean maple similar to sugar or red maple, ie hard maple? What is the width at the nut? Also, how would you describe the European spruce top, compared to an adirondack top, tonally speaking?

Jim Roberts
Mar-02-2007, 2:34pm
Quote: mandopluker Posted: Mar. 02 2007, 12:29

"...and I still loose even at my initial cost for the mandolin." #

Welcome to the world of buying new instruments and reselling them, Shayne! #I've usually lost around 20% of new value when buying and then reselling and I've done it a few (too many) times. #I don't think I'd lose any money reselling my Heiden, though, but it isn't for sale.

That is a sweet looking mandolin you are selling and best of luck!

KTB
Mar-02-2007, 3:52pm
Tim, don't be too put off by the topwood selection. I know alot of people just have to have adirondack, but I have a SP with englemann and its just as loud and maybe better response and sweetness.

Russ Jordan
Mar-06-2007, 12:36pm
well, the Sp is not mandopluker's any more--it's mine!!

Thanks, Shayne!

Cary Fagan
Mar-06-2007, 3:17pm
Well, I can't resist mentioning that the next Passernig mandolin has my name on it. I put a hold on it a few weeks ago when it was still in the white. I will be getting it from Smokey Mountain some time in the next couple of weeks. Tom Ellis, who is a neighbour of Stefan's, was kind enough to go over and put one of his abbreviated pickguards onto it.

As you can imagine, I am more than a little excited.

Kevin K
Mar-06-2007, 3:44pm
Cary,
What woods are being used, gotta post some pictures when you get it.
Congrats.

Kevin

Russ Jordan
Mar-06-2007, 9:52pm
I already emailed Jack. He's glad I got it.

Yeah, Shayne, that was good mando visit at the Cracker Barrell! I have been playing the Passernig tonight--fit, finish, tone, and playability are great. I will enjoy it.

Looking forward to checking your other mandos out sometime.

Cary Fagan
Mar-07-2007, 11:07am
My mando has an Adirondack top which I think is standard for Stefan for his Fs. I will post some pics.

pickinNgrinnin
Mar-07-2007, 1:56pm
Here's mine with an Adirondack top:

jasona
Mar-07-2007, 3:14pm
That's a sweet sunburst.

Cary Fagan
Mar-09-2007, 9:10pm
Today I received my Passernig. It's number 36 and I just have to say it's a magnificent mandolin. Already it has great depth and projection. Tremendous clarity. An amazing chop. After about an hour of playing the e string, which was a little less resonant, woke up. It feels great to play. And it is very, very handsome, with perfect fit and finish.

I can imagine how good it will sound in a month, in six months. I'll post pics in a couple of weeks. Tomorrow I'll phone Smokey Mountain Guitars and thank Jason for his help and the great service. And I look forward to phoning Stefan too, to tell him how much I love it already.

Russ Jordan
Mar-09-2007, 9:19pm
Congratulations, Cary! #I played mine at practice last for the first time, and loved it. #Pictures of #25 can be seen here:

Passernig #25 (http://community.webshots.com/album/558087993smitoO)

pickinNgrinnin
Mar-09-2007, 10:31pm
Russ- I can't open the link!

Russ Jordan
Mar-09-2007, 11:09pm
here we go. I forgot that you can't use tinyurls on the cafe.

Passernig #25 (http://community.webshots.com/album/558087993smitoO)

AW Meyer
Mar-10-2007, 11:41am
Congratulations, Cary. I'm glad that you're happy with the Passernig. I remember your saying that you hoped it sounded better than your Collings. Anyway, let me know if you decide to sell the Collings. I think it's a dandy.

Cary Fagan
Mar-10-2007, 12:34pm
Thanks for the congrats. I feel very fortunate. Al, I think the Passernig is a better than the Collings, although the Collings is a sweet mandolin for sure and has opened up in the last months. I have someone in Toronto who wants first chance to buy the Collings, which I will sell, but let me know if you're interested in case he doesn't take it.

AW Meyer
Mar-10-2007, 1:14pm
I don't think I can swing it, Cary. I'm trying to put together the moolah for a new guitar. I think Ill have to take these purchases one step at a time.

Cary Fagan
Mar-11-2007, 8:11am
Guess I misunderstood you, Al. I'm not worried about selling the Collings. I forgot that you need a guitar. Besides, you have that swell Muth!

Russ Jordan
Mar-16-2007, 12:08pm
So, Cary---how is your Passernig now that you have it a few days? I am enjoying mine!

Cary Fagan
Mar-19-2007, 8:08am
Hey Russ,
We're in a rare category at this point--Passernig owners. I picked mine up while on holiday in Florida and so have only had about a half hour a day to play. (then our flight got snowed out so we drove home, arrived last night in Toronto, and I'm pretty bleary-eyed.) So today will be my first longer session playing and then on Wed. my first jam. But so far it's great. It's starting to feel more natural and easy in my hands. I'm starting not to treat it like it's a piece of fine china. It really has a beautiful sound, very pure and open, with a wonderful musical bark of a chop. I'm hoping to get a friend to come over for an hour just so I can pick a few tunes with her. I'll need a couple more weeks to get a real feel of it.
Thanks for asking. Where do you live, by the way?

Russ Jordan
Mar-19-2007, 11:58am
Cary,
I live near Tryon NC. You could have swung by!

Russ Jordan
Mar-19-2007, 2:38pm
I love my SP. Only killed one banjo so far.

Another SP looks like it sold in the classifieds today.

tterral
Mar-21-2007, 12:45pm
Can someone post a sound clip of one of their Passernig's, or direct me to where a soundclip might be? Reading great things about these mandolins, would like to hear how they sound.

Thanks.

tterral
Apr-01-2007, 1:24pm
OK Shayne, where are the clips - don't tease us, let's hear 'em! Did you play on the clips or the folks you thank in your post? Any clips of you playing the Passernig? Inquiring ears want to hear.

tterral
Apr-01-2007, 5:04pm
Yeah, I believe they record to .wav files, which are going to be large, but sound a lot better than MP3s. I think an MP3 is all you would be able to reasonably use/upload on line, due to the file size issue. A friend of mine has a Zoom and seems to really like it. Looking forward to hearing the Passernig.

Thanks.

tterral
Apr-04-2007, 10:56am
Shayne -

Are you able to do a 'Save As' to an MP3 in your computer software. I do not know much about the software that comes with the Zoom, but I am guessing it may be as simple as doing a 'Save As' to MP3 from your .wav files. I know there is freebie software on the internet that can do it, unfortunately I do not know any of the names. Just a thought.

Greenmando
Apr-28-2007, 12:59pm
Is there a website for Passernig?

pickinNgrinnin
Apr-28-2007, 4:23pm
Not that I've seen. Stephan is keeping a fairly low profile down there in Austin.