PDA

View Full Version : New michael kelly deluxe from themandoshop.com

FlatPickinDan
Mar-01-2007, 12:55pm
I recently received my new Michael Kelly Legacy Deluxe and I am very impressed. No, I am NOT new to mandolin playing and while I have never had very expensive mandolins, this is my third and the most expensive. Now I know some of you may snub your nose at MK and even mandos in this price range but I have to tell you this MK mando is awesome! GREAT projection and sustain, a good chop and balanced tone. I played last weekend with my regular musicians blasting all they had from their D-28s and I could still be heard. SWEET! Intonation and neck are good as well not to mention an absolutely gorgeous satin finish (see attached picture). I bought it from Kyle at TheMandoShop Kyle gave me the best price I could find, was very friendly, great communication through the buying stage and set it up for me as well although in my case the mando did not need too much. Any way I am a much happier mando player now and believe this new MK is going to keep me satisfied for quite a while until my next upgrade. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

PS I have no connection to www.themandoshop.com Just a very satisfied customer with a good experience and a great mandolin.

JEStanek
Mar-01-2007, 1:42pm
Enjoy it and play the heck out of it! Congrats on the new instrument. It looks very nice.

Jamie

Eric F.
Mar-01-2007, 1:53pm
Congratulations and enjoy. It looks very nice.

Mark Walker
Mar-01-2007, 2:08pm
While I personally have not heard a 'good-sounding' MK mandolin, that's certainly not to say there aren't some out there. #Once in a while you'll encounter just the right combination of wood used for the top, back, sides, bridge, etc. on most any make/model - and wind up with a great sounding and playing instrument!

Sounds (and looks) like you've got one of those in your hands! #Congratulations and enjoy it! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

FlatPickinDan
Mar-01-2007, 2:24pm
ClosetMandolinPlayer: Yeah I know what you mean exactly. This is my second Michael Kelly. The first one was very pretty but pretty much a dud in the sound department. I like this one so much I don't know how they can sound any better but I am sure they can. I started 6-string guitar 40 years ago and play on a Martin D-28 after going through several others, some of which I even liked but now that I have the Martin, I would not give up for anything. I suppose some feel that way about their mandolins. I think I am trying to eventually have a mandolin which is to mandolins what my Martin is to guitars. Here is a picture of the back. This is one pretty hunk-o-wood. Oh, and if finding a decent mandolin is not challenge enough, I am now searching for an upright double bass. Money money.

Thank you all for your congradulations!

Eric F.
Mar-01-2007, 2:40pm
I played an MK at a store around Thanksgiving that totally had it going on. That a good-looking back, Dan.

FlatPickinDan
Mar-01-2007, 2:44pm
Thank you Eric! :cool:

Mark Walker
Mar-01-2007, 5:52pm
Dan - Yup. #I'm with you there. #Back in the mid-70's - when Martin guitars weren't up to their usual 'snuff' for a while there - I 'test drove' some Martins and wound up getting a fabulous-sounding Hohner HG320 Limited Edition flatop dreadnaught which looked and sounded WAY better than any Martin's I'd played. #Still got it; still love it.

But yeah, back to the wood in instruments... man, sometimes you just get that 'right' combination on a production-line model. #A buddy of mine has a mid-range Yamaha 6-string that just KICKS out the volume with a rich tone. # Ya never know!

I shared some of what I've discovered toward the bottom of THIS (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=13;t=42027;st=25) link. #Purely my humble opinion based on some experiences, but fall in line with your MK!

Glad you're enjoying it! #Good luck with the double-bass procurement! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

moku9
Mar-01-2007, 6:08pm
Congrats on finding your new friend. I've loved my MK for several years and am looking forward to many more.