PDA

View Full Version : New michael kelly deluxe from themandoshop.com

FlatPickinDan
Mar-01-2007, 12:11pm
I recently received my new Michael Kelly Legacy Deluxe and I am very impressed. No, I am NOT new to mandolin playing and while I have never had very expensive mandolins, this is my third and the most expensive. Now I know some of you may snub your nose at MK and even mandos in this price range but I have to tell you this MK mando is awesome! GREAT projection and sustain, a good chop and balanced tone. I played last weekend with my regular musicians blasting all they had from their D-28s and I could still be heard. SWEET! Intonation and neck are good as well not to mention an absolutely gorgeous satin finish (see attached picture). I bought it from Kyle at TheMandoShop (http://www.themandoshop.com) Kyle gave me the best price I could find, was very friendly, great communication through the buying stage and set it up for me as well although in my case the mando did not need too much. Any way I am a much happier mando player now and believe this new MK is going to keep me satisfied for quite a while until my next upgrade. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

PS I have no connection to www.themandoshop.com Just a very satisfied customer with a good experience and a great mandolin. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Seafood
Mar-01-2007, 12:30pm
Kyle at the MandoShop sold me a Mandolin and set up my old one and they are GREAT!! He knows his stuff. NFI here either.

FlatPickinDan
Mar-01-2007, 1:26pm
Seafood: What kind of mando did you buy? I am already beginning to talk around to see what my next trade-up should be. The Eastman looks nice. Here is another pic of the back side of my Deluxe.

Keith Erickson
Mar-01-2007, 3:10pm
Dan,

I really enjoyed reading your post. I have an MK A+ that I will never do without.

Like your MK, mine has the sustain, projection, tone and a great chop to boot.

Best of luck to you...
...I know that you won't be dissapointed http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-05-2007, 4:07am
Dan,that looks like one beautiful Mandolin - is it a matt finish?.The colour is superb.
Personally,i think the Michael Kelly Mandolins are very good quality for the price . I'd be very proud to own that Mandolin,
Saska

FlatPickinDan
Mar-05-2007, 10:05am
Saska: It is a satin finish called which is sometimes called "matt" I think. "Satin Amber Fade" was what they called the color/finish on MK site. Yeah that was my first choice on the finish. The satins and other less glossy finishes seem to be gaining some level of popularity at this point and I suppose because it makes them look a little more vintage/old style. It really DOES look every bit as good if not better in person. No joke. Any way thanks for taking a look. Before buying this I did a lot of research and knew the MKs were a good buy for the money but I was unsure as to how good it would actually be. I was pleasantly surprised. My last mandolin was also an MK F model solid top with laminate for the balance and while it was beautiful it just did not measure up to what I wanted but then again I did not pay for what I got here in this new one.

Mattg
Mar-05-2007, 2:48pm
Saska: It is a satin finish called which is sometimes called "matt" I think.

I think you mean "mat".

Matt

FlatPickinDan
Mar-05-2007, 2:53pm
Ha Ha! Right Matt!

gnelson651
Mar-05-2007, 7:13pm
Saska: It is a satin finish called which is sometimes called "matt" I think.

I think you mean "mat".

Matt
Try again,

its "matte" #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-06-2007, 2:07am
Well er, thanks for that guys !. I still think it looks wonderful,i wish more makers would offer that finish as an option,i really do like it very much. Incidentally, the correct spelling is MATT = dull,lusterless,un-polished,not shiny. I think it drives from an original French word MATTE as applied to a paint finish in art. Not lecturing folks,i wasn't sure either ,so i looked it up.

TheMandoShop
Mar-06-2007, 6:11am
I'm not lecturing either because it really doesn't mat(ter) to me but depending on which dictionary source you check, all three spellings can be used to describe the finish. The largest number agree with standing on a mat when talking to Matt about the matte finish on his new MK. Thanks Dan for your kind words about themandoshop.com.

FlatPickinDan
Mar-06-2007, 10:22am
U awl wrong cuz ah wun smelling bee in skool win ah wuz en sevunth grad.

newblue
Mar-06-2007, 12:02pm
Dan,
I'm liking my MK deluxe more everyday, The top is a little thick, but as my playing gets better and I play more it is opening up and sounding good to my ears.

FlatPickinDan
Mar-06-2007, 12:17pm
Jason,
Good deal! Don't be afraid to pound it out (with respect of course) on that baby. That is what they are for. Just be good to your instrument and it will be good to you. We had a session over at my place weekend before last and mine got its first good workout. I was utterly amazed at how it was cutting through three flat tops sitting in the circle and these were not wimpy six stringers. I can hardly wait until we do it again!

bluemtgrass
Mar-10-2007, 4:26pm
Look at the MM's ( Morgan Monroe MM8 ) in the satin
finish. Much more " woody " then the pics here. Kinda
like a mix between walnut and oak, old looking right
out of the box. This one looks more cherry finish. Which
is fine if you like that kind of finish. No knock meant
since MM also has the same finish/color as the MK in
another model. An older friend of mine bought the satin
finish than ended up polishing the heck out of it to get
it where he wanted it. To each his own...

FlatPickinDan
Mar-10-2007, 4:59pm
Nathan: Yeah the picture of the top of mine looks pretty cherry but in real life it is not quite that cherry. More a deep red/brown. I don't want to polish mine. I LIKE that old dull look as it makes it look a bit older! I am going to go have a look at the Morgan Monroe and actually had considered them as well. Maybe next time but now I think when I trade up I am going to check in to an Eastman or Weber from Kyle over at
www.TheMandoShop.com

mickey66
Nov-01-2007, 4:10am
Dan....your Mando is a beauty and it is good to hear a + review here on MK Mando's....I bought a Mk L-O Mando and I really like it....really,really loud for a thick top and the finish is a beauty BUT I like the matt finish better and could not get it on the L-O....like your photo's seems like you got a good one and so did I which.... brings me to this question with this brand of Mandolin and I have seen this in so many reviews of MK Mando's....you will pick one up and it will sound like S**T the very next one you play will sound GREAT! To me this is strange for a Pac-Rim Mando or is it? Congrats!!!

Treetopper
Nov-01-2007, 8:54am
I agree with all of you in that I really enjoy my two MK mandolins, they are great....... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif