PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever play a Weber Aspen?

pickinBob
Feb-01-2004, 12:58am
What are everyones opinions on The Aspens for celtic music? Has anyone ever seen a custom one as a 10 stringer? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Richard Singleton
Feb-01-2004, 9:50am
Hi, I play a Weber Aspen #1 for primarily Celtic music, and have been very happy with it. It is loud enough for small jams I play in, though for large sessions it might have trouble being heard, like a lot of other mandos. Its a nicely built instrument, good intonation and sound, aesthetically a liittle plain, but check out the colors you can order it in on the Weber custom page! I haven't seen a 10 string one.

PhilGE
Feb-01-2004, 9:58am
I really enjoy mine. Owned it almost 3 years now and still enjoy it's sound. All of Weber's flat-tops have a great tone - just not a bluegrass "woody" chop or the percussive projection of carved top instruments. I settled on the Aspen after many hours at Elderly trying to find an instrument with a tone I liked under $1K. I didn't start finding that tonal quality in other instruments until the price got over $1500 - and that was 3 years ago. I almost bought a Washburn "Jethro" from a musician admire, but opted for the Aspen. When he got to play the Aspen, he smiled wryly and told me he thought I made the best choice.

-Phil

pickinBob
Feb-01-2004, 11:50am
So to get one for $600 would be a steal?

Richard Singleton
Feb-01-2004, 3:41pm
Yes. I paid $744 for mine at Mandolin Bros 3 years ago, and the Weber list price has gone up at least once since then.

PhilGE
Feb-01-2004, 8:47pm
Sounds like a good deal, Bob. Have you played it? What matters most, of course, is if you like it.

pickinBob
Feb-02-2004, 12:04am
No I havent played it but I used the video samplers at Folk of the Wood to judge by and liked the sound. I bought a mando from them before like that and wasnt disappointed. The guy used it for a church worship band which is what I'd be doing.

pickinBob
Feb-03-2004, 1:33pm
I passed on the Aspen. Thanks for all the advice http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif