PDA

View Full Version : My  gibsons

carleshicks
Feb-25-2007, 9:33pm
I was browsing the web earlier today looking at all the mandolins out there that I wish I had when I decided i should just appreciate what I have. I lined them up and took some pics and I thought I would share them.
First is My 1922 F-4 #70318 which is in the middle of a little face lift, next is a 1925 A-4 #82626 and last is a 2002 Derrington signed Master Model #V-70327.

carleshicks
Feb-25-2007, 9:34pm
here are the backsides

carleshicks
Feb-25-2007, 9:37pm
here is a close up of the 22 F-4. there is still 2 spots that the color is not quite dark enough so I taped her up for some air brushing.( refer to thebuilders page (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=7;t=41132) for the whole story)

carleshicks
Feb-25-2007, 9:39pm
here is a close up of the A-4. This Is the mandolin that I started playing when I was ten. My Dad has owned it since the mid Seventies.

carleshicks
Feb-25-2007, 9:41pm
My three year old son reminded me that his Epiphone is made by Gibson so he had to get in the picture.

carleshicks
Feb-25-2007, 9:45pm
The Epiphone actualy sound very good it is a mid seventies with no serial number or label but it is stamped "2" on the back of the peghead. The wood has no figure at all but the fingerboard has the same inlay as my old '77 Gibson F-5.

K3NTUCKI8oy
Feb-26-2007, 1:28am
I played one the same age as your f4 and those have great tone

johnl
Feb-26-2007, 2:12am
I think you're doing quite well, mandolin-wise! Even the Epi; I believe it's an MM-70, which was the top Epiphone of its day. No weak links in that mandolin chain.

carleshicks
Mar-02-2007, 9:08am
I wouldn't trade the epiphone for any other pac rim I have played it is not very pretty but it has a nice loud bark to it. as a matter of fact it souded just as good as my 1977 Gibson F-5.

carleshicks
Mar-02-2007, 9:11am
here is a pic of the F-4 almost ready to French Polish

tnpathfinder
Mar-02-2007, 10:49am
Very Nice. That A4 is a jewel.

carleshicks
Mar-02-2007, 3:41pm
yeah I love that a-4 it is the loudest of all three gibsons. I like the sound of the Master Model the best though for the bluegrass that I play, but the A-4 sounds so nice when I am sitting at home picking.

Don Grieser
Mar-02-2007, 11:20pm
Yes, the ovals get the couch time here too. Just love to play them. That A-4 snake is mighty sweet and how nice to have it in the family. Nice group of mandos.

Kevin Briggs
Mar-03-2007, 8:03am
They all look dang nice, and I'm sure they sound great too.

What about your Hicks? I heard Sean Lane play one at Gettysburg a few years ago and it sounded saweet!

onlyagibsonisgoodenuff
Mar-03-2007, 2:47pm
Looks like you could get more sound out of the F4 if you pull that rag out of the sound hole!
Maybe put some strings on it.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

carleshicks
Mar-03-2007, 9:29pm
They all look dang nice, and I'm sure they sound great too.

What about your Hicks? I heard Sean Lane play one at Gettysburg a few years ago and it sounded saweet!
actually the Hicks #1 and #2 are two mandolins that I am building. I am going to put "The Hicks" on the peghead. I talked to the fellow that build the Hicks Mandolin that Shawn lane playes and he is a pretty nice guy. He agreed that he would just use "Hicks" and I could use "The Hicks". My mandolins are going to be Loar copies in every detail. My Goal was some day to build the most acurate Loar copy around with only the name on the peghead different but Hans Brenthrup raised the bar in that market with his Lloyd copy. Mr Hicks' Mandolin are very nice but they are not meant to copy Loars at all.