PDA

View Full Version : "the goddess" by james curtis

BlueMountain
Feb-25-2007, 4:57pm
James Curtis is a MandolinCafe member and luthier in Port Townsend, WA. He's an artist at heart, and he loves to do interesting new things to his instruments. This one is called "The Goddess." Look closely and figure out why. Just right for all you Pagans out there. I've just sold this, but I told James that I'd post photos.

BlueMountain
Feb-25-2007, 4:58pm
Goddess on the headstock, rather like the Venus of Willendorf (about 25,000 years old). This isn't a truss rod cover. It's painted on.

BlueMountain
Feb-25-2007, 5:00pm
Unusually big-bottomed. I think it's a very attractive look.

BlueMountain
Feb-25-2007, 5:02pm
Interesting hand-carved soundhole. I think the lack of symetricality was deliberate. I'm not sure what the red inlay is. It's fiber-like.

BlueMountain
Feb-25-2007, 5:03pm
Another look at the soundhole.

BlueMountain
Feb-25-2007, 5:05pm
I love this graceful little ebony bridge. It's positioned with two tiny registration pins that help keep it from falling over. The top is X-braced, and the legs sit on the braces.

BlueMountain
Feb-25-2007, 5:06pm
Nice maple back with moderate quilting. All solid wood.

BlueMountain
Feb-25-2007, 5:08pm
Nice Schaller tuners

BlueMountain
Feb-25-2007, 5:17pm
I don't think the binding is wood, but I can't tell for sure. Boy, wouldn't it be awful to splurge on ebony binding, then have people think it was plastic?

BlueMountain
Feb-25-2007, 5:21pm
Tone: Very loud, very smooth, incredibly long sustain. Not at all for bluegrass type sounds--no bark, no chop. Characteristic pancake-style sound--a bit echoey. But a pleasant, pure sound. This was made in January of 2004. I think the number was in the 60s, and James is presently in the 90s. I bought it for $625 and sold it for $650, but after the fees, I just broke even. I also put about four hours of labor into sprucing it up in various ways. So I guess $650 is a good sign of what the market will bear.

bush-man
Feb-25-2007, 11:43pm
Shades of Georgia O'Keefe! Oh gosh! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

russell

K3NTUCKI8oy
Feb-26-2007, 1:22am
very different indeed brade http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif