PDA

View Full Version : Ralph's banjo special

bush-man
Feb-22-2007, 11:05pm
I've been listening to a couple different takes on this tune lately, especially a killer version with Sam Bush, and I'd love to give it a try. Anyone know where I might find some tab for the piece?

russell

Mandomax
Feb-23-2007, 8:45am
it's in the latest issue of mandolin magazine

AlanN
Feb-23-2007, 9:02am
I have a four-page handout, with this tune noted out as played by Steffey, Emory Lester, Bush and Mike Marshall. All the same, but different http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

I'll try to find, scan and send.

Steve Perry
Feb-23-2007, 12:04pm
Isn't Daybreak in Dixie essentially the same tune? If so, then it's in the Mandozine files.

Steve Perry

Flowerpot
Feb-23-2007, 12:20pm
I tabbed out Sam's version he played live on the American Music Shop in the 80's some time. It's probably similar to the others, but if you want it, I could scan it in.

Jim Broyles
Feb-23-2007, 3:03pm
The tune in the video on youtube, in which Sam Bush introduces it as Ralph's Banjo Special, is Daybreak in Dixie, written by Bill Napier although credited to Carter Stanley on Stanley Brothers releases.

Jim Broyles
Feb-23-2007, 3:05pm
Ralph's banjo version of it goes to G after the first A in the A part, unlike the mandolin original.

Jim Broyles
Feb-23-2007, 3:23pm
On Mandozine, the Steffey versions are the closest to the way Sam does it.

bush-man
Feb-23-2007, 5:44pm
Interesting. I have at least 3 live recordings where it is called "Ralph's Banjo Special", one is with Grisman, the others are with Sammy in various groupings. I can't use Mandozine, as I use Linux and can't read those files.

russell

Peter Hackman
Feb-25-2007, 6:04am
The core of the piece is as simple as a song. The rest is embellishment,
why not make your own?

It IS interesting to compare the many versions on Mandozine, however.
They seem to have one thing in common, the fear of rests.