PDA

View Full Version : Gilchrist Photos

Don Grieser
May-07-2004, 12:12pm
The color is way too red/yellow/orange, but you get the idea.
Back scroll detail. Really outrageous wood.

Don Grieser
May-07-2004, 12:16pm
Front scroll detail. Adironrack red spruce, hard rock maple one piece back, tone bars, made in 1999, ordered before I knew what I was doing and I'm keeping it.

Jonathan James
May-07-2004, 12:18pm
Beautiful Don! I'm sure it sounds as great as it looks.

JDSmith
May-14-2004, 11:30am
That is one beautiful instrument! Does it have a varnish or lacquer finish?

Don Grieser
May-14-2004, 12:51pm
It has a varnish finish. I played a gig the day after I got it and literally had to peel my sweaty shirt off of the back of the mandolin. Left the imprint of the material in the back. I was sick. When Gilchrist came back to the states the next year, he French polished all that out (for free). It took a while to really harden up. The finish on the neck is wearing down to the wood and it's very slick and comfortable. And it does sound as good as it looks. I know of at least 5 people who played it and later told me they ordered one. I'll try to post a picture of the whole back when I get a good one.

JDSmith
May-14-2004, 12:54pm
Thanks for the info. I'd love to see it. I knew varnish was touchy but wow! Does it ever fully cure or does it require special attention for life? I am curious because I am in the planning stages of a custom order now and can't decide between lacquer or varnish.

Don Grieser
May-14-2004, 1:30pm
It got really hard after a couple years. Steve Gilchrist was very good about working with me on the finish--when I got it to him for fret dressing the second year, he sent it back looking like new (no charge for the French polish). It never needed it again. I don't know what difference the lacquer would make on the sound, but if I had to do it over again, I'd do varnish again. I'd just be more careful. You especially don't want it to get too hot when the varnish is new. You'll be very happy with the way the neck feels with varnish on it. None of that sticky lacquer feel.

Peakbagr
May-14-2004, 4:25pm
Hans Brentrup is building my mandolin now. When I was out to visit his shop, he spoke about his recommendations with a new varnish finish. Said that when I receive it, it should be stored OUT OF its case for a while, so the varnish can better cure and dry out in the air.
He also recommends that it be played for only few times a day(chords) for 10-15 min at a time. Body heat warms it up, and the brief periods of play keeps your 98.6 degrees in contact with the finish from warming it up too much.
I'm may not have all the details, this was just from memory.

onlyagibsonisgoodenuff
May-14-2004, 10:20pm
What is that odd reflection/blemish around the f-hole?

Dedian
May-14-2004, 10:31pm
Do you mean the white thing that loops up and to the right? Looks like a window-frame reflection to me

Don Grieser
May-17-2004, 8:40am
Yes, it's just a reflection from the window.

JDSmith
May-17-2004, 1:09pm
Peakbagr,
Just out of curiosty - What is Hans' current lead time? I have yet to speak with him on a potential project but would like to know if it's in terms of months or years. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif Thank you.

Dave Reiner
May-18-2004, 2:04pm
I did just post a Brentrup 21V in the classifieds -- no lead time on this one!

Dave http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

JDSmith
May-18-2004, 3:12pm
I am looking right now but I don't see it out there. Wow! It really must have sold fast! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Rave On
May-25-2004, 7:38am
I've played this one. (Hi Don!) It is the best sounding instrument I've ever played.

Km1000seth
May-25-2004, 2:13pm
NICE!