PDA

View Full Version : Where Can I Get a Piece of Ebony?

racuda
May-07-2004, 11:30am
I recently acquired a Maurer mandolin with a non-original bridge. I would like to make one as close to original as possible.

The photos I have seen look like the bridge should be ebony with a bone insert. Is this correct? If so, where can I get an ebony blank?

johnwalser
May-07-2004, 4:26pm
Ebony blanks available at: http://www.exoticwoods.com/FB-BB-PH-MOP/bridgeblank.html
I bought about 16 blanks from them to experiment with and have been making my own custom one piece bridges for the past six months. I came up with an odd looking design that gives me more volume, better tone and incredible sustain. I am one happy picker!
John

racuda
May-08-2004, 9:10am
Thanks for the info. I'll check them out.

The "odd looking design" that you came up with is intriguing. Can you post a picture?

johnwalser
May-08-2004, 4:23pm
Your wish is my command. Here is picture of my new best friend. I sent this picture to Red Henry ( a REAL bridge expert) and he says it looks something like a guitar bridge Gibson used in the 20s. It certainly works very well for me and if you would like me to send you a pattern to try, e-mail me at johnw@inreach.com. Each one is a little different due to string height needs, but I can tell you measurement I would need to make pattern.
John