PDA

View Full Version : akg c411 pickup

HHansen
Jan-31-2004, 9:30pm
Has anybody out there tried an AKG c411 pickup? Its a vibration sensitive condenser transducer that looks like a less expensive version of a schertler. It seems promising but I've thought that before... Any thoughts?

mandoJeremy
Feb-01-2004, 12:40am
Yes, I have got one in stock at the store I work at and I tried it on mine(not using the original putty mind you) and I love the sound of it. What would be the dynamics you would rather have: condenser microphone or piezo pickup? It is great and if you want one let me know.

HHansen
Feb-01-2004, 10:54am
Does it thump like a mcintyre or fishman if you hit the top?

mandoJeremy
Feb-01-2004, 12:42pm
I would say that it does a tiny bit because it is attached the top of the mandolin but it is not near as bad as the McEntyre of Fishman.

Mike Bunting
Feb-01-2004, 1:09pm
I've used one for the last 5 years or so, whenever it has been an absolute necessity.Haven't tried Schertler, but the AKG C411 is way better than any piezo, IMHO.:)

Don Grieser
Feb-03-2004, 1:31am
I've got one too. It's definitely not the same as playing through a good microphone, but when you've got to plug in, it sounds as good as anything out there I've heard. I'd recommend it. FYI it is a condenser mic and it does need phantom power. Most boards will power it if you plug in direct. You can also buy an ART tube mic pre that will provide phantom power if your mixer doesn't have it.

dougiebe
Feb-03-2004, 3:13am
Another satisfied C411 user here! #Like Don suggests, I use an ART TubeMP on stage for phantom power and a volume control. #The sound is great. #It conveys the woody tone and percussive chop of my Flatiron unlike any piezo I've tried. #It can thump a bit especially if you bump the mic itself. #It will also feedback if your have your amp or monitors cranked but it's not nearly as bad as a conventional mic. #I recommend it if you cannot afford the Schertler.

Mike Bunting
Feb-03-2004, 8:11am
I use the ART tube pre, the Studio V3 w/the voicing "dial". I've played some pretty loud gigs with some "alt-country" guys and have had no feedback prolems, came close tho'! I mostly work with acoustic bands these days and always use a mic for the best sound.:)

HHansen
Feb-05-2004, 12:39am
I see there are several models of this pickup. One with phantom power and standard xlr, another without phantom power and a mini xlr connector. Which is the one to get?

mandoJeremy
Feb-05-2004, 5:18am
I would go with the one that is phantom and standard xlr. That is the one I tried at the store! It is a little higher in price.