PDA

View Full Version : Jethro is "in the house"

Soupy1957
Feb-14-2007, 7:38am
It's here...

Soupy1957
Feb-14-2007, 7:42am
....and the "back" (note from the frontal view that they put the wrong tailpiece on it...the one that's on it, is the M120 tailpiece...not that it's any big deal or anything, but speaks volumes about Washburn's QC).

AlanN
Feb-14-2007, 8:07am
Nice looking mandolin.

What, no strap? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

fatt-dad
Feb-14-2007, 8:20am
I like that back (well the whole mandolin looks cool). How's the sound?

Congratulations!

f-d

Soupy1957
Feb-14-2007, 8:35am
Haven't put the strap to it yet....sound has a good ring to it, but I don't know the kind of strings the factory put on it. I've got a set of J74's waiting in the case for a change-over in about a week or so.

-Soupy1957

tin ben dur
Feb-14-2007, 8:43am
Nice mando Soupy. I like.

Soupy1957
Feb-14-2007, 9:19am
Fendoman: thanks...I received an e-mail from a guy (dang it, wish I could remember who it was) recently, who said he was trying to find you, to order a strap from you....said you had "disappeared."

Did you get a contact recently for your straps?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

-Soupy1957

Soupy1957
Feb-14-2007, 9:21am
Just to complete the photo op.....

cooper4205
Feb-14-2007, 10:11am
that's one of the few times i have seen a company make a mistake (the wrong tailpiece) and the buyer still comes out ahead. congrats, hope you like it

Lane Pryce
Feb-14-2007, 10:45am
Good looking Washburn. Lp

Eric F.
Feb-14-2007, 10:53am
Yep, nice-looking mando, Soupy. How does it sound compared with your others?

Soupy1957
Feb-14-2007, 2:28pm
Very comparable to the Epi, in "punch" (as they say) but I've been doing my "Taxes" today, (yuck) so I haven't really done any playing yet today.
They adhere the pickguard in a way I didn't expect, (but I'm no expert...perhaps all the "Pacrims" are mounted this way), they glued a small block of wood on the underside of the top of the pickguard, and screwed THAT, into the side of the neck.
I like the case that came with it.....nice and secure. They even threw in a satin blanket...lol.
I'm pleased with the thin varnish....was afraid that like most "Pacrims" it would be too heavy on the varnish and have a slow neck, and a muddy look to the body.
-Soupy1957

Mike Beatty
Feb-15-2007, 8:52pm
That is neither the wrong tailpiece nor a mistake. All of the F Style Washburns now have an Allen style tailpiece. The only mistake is that the picture on the Washburn website did not get updated as quickly as possible.

Jkf_Alone
Feb-15-2007, 10:41pm
give us a full review as soon as you get the chance to dig into it. ive been interested in that one for a while now. it just seems too attractive in the pics ive seen to be real. it probably has 10's on it from factory, 11's (like the j74's) should make it sound better.

Jkf_Alone
Feb-15-2007, 10:44pm
i wish it said jethro somewhere though.

Soupy1957
Feb-16-2007, 7:28am
jkf_alone: that was "my" issue with the tailpiece change. If you are going to call it a "Jethro Burns" and the tailpiece is the only evidence of that, in name, then leave his name SOMEWHERE on the instrument.

I'm sure he may have influenced other design characteristics, so at least put his name on the internal label, ya know?!

"Full review" eh? Well, I'll give it a whirl later on, but I'm not ready yet. I WILL say that the neck is smooth, and easy to slide on. The comfort fit with my body is the same as any other "F-style" I've owned. It is holding tuning and responds easily to my touch (even my bear-like clawing of it); the action is right where it needed to be, for the string set, and all seems "well" so far.

It is true of course, as I have found out by a Customer Service Rep for Washburn, that they made a change in the tailpiece, but when you are buying from a catolog or website, it sure would be nice to see what they are selling now, and not be surprised when you open the box, (even if it IS "an upgrade").
-Soupy1957

P.S. I found out that the manufacturing date was June 1, 2006. I wonder why there was a "backlog" considering the date? A "backlog" in WHAT? Shipping?

Dan Krhla
Mar-05-2007, 7:55pm
Hey Soupster, where did you get that mando? I just ordered a Kentucky mando for work lunch breaks and "light travel" and it came from Elderly with the wrong tailpiece. Just wondering...

Soupy1957
May-21-2007, 4:46am
Ordered it through MusiciansFriend.com, (Sorry I didn't see your question back when it was posted).

I have had a few "bad" experiences with them, specifically with regard to "wait times" and I'll not be ordering again from them anytime soon, but the instrument came in without issues, and I love it.

-Soupy1957