PDA

View Full Version : Pickup on a new build?

martinedwards
Feb-10-2007, 4:01am
Hi folks, I need your wisdom

I'm building a mando for a guy who plays is an amped acoustic band situation.

Its a guitar shaped mandonaught, but think flattop round soundhole with a normal mando bridge for the purposes of the question!!

Ok, pickup.

shadow piezo bridge?

http://www.stringexpress.co.uk/images/products/shadow_mandolin_picup.jpg

or stick on transducers inside?

http://www.jhs.co.uk/shadow/shb1.jpg

or something else altogether?

I have around the $200 mark (or less) to play with.

any suggestions or wisdom welcome.

Thanks

M

John Flynn
Feb-10-2007, 8:11am
I am no expert, but I had an Alvarez A800 with a Fishman bridge pickup for many years and it was "thumpy," "quacky" and uneven. The instrument had something to do with that, but not everything to do with it. So I am wary of bridge pickups. It also just seems to me that if it is the top that is the most critical component to good acoustic sound, the pickup should be on the top, placed where the sound is best. I am also wary of the pickups that are flat strips that go under a bridge foot. Bridge fit to the top is so critical for good acoustic sound, so it seems to me those pickups would almost have to mess with the acoustic properties somewhat. Just MHO.

The spot pizeo on my Rigel is clear and even, without any disturbing characteristics. So I would lean towards a really good spot pizeo. The McIntyre Feather would be another popular option for you. I have played an internally mounted one on a Mid-mo and it sounded great.

mandroid
Feb-11-2007, 1:54am
another option , Schertler Dynamic contact microphone pickup is made in a variation to be installed internally .
combine the 3 conductor jack end button and a 3 conductor 1/4" plug to XLR cable end and you are able to use mic preamps built in most mixers.

If you go with a bridge piezo, see if they will have the wire run straight down thru a hole in the bridge base and the top, then you wont see the wire..

Schatten Utility piezos are cheap enough, and easy to glue on the underside of the soundboard..
they weigh so little wont change sound if not plugged in.

martinedwards
Feb-11-2007, 4:31am
thanks for these, anyone else?

mythicfish
Feb-11-2007, 8:32am
If you don't have intimate, expert knowledge in this area, it might not be a good idea to make a recommendation.
But if you do, make sure the installation is reversable.
What's the old saying ... No good deed goes unpunished ...

Curt

John Flynn
Feb-11-2007, 10:18am
Schertler Dynamic contact microphone
Mandroid: He says his budget tops out at $200. If you know where a Schertler can be bought for $200, please let me know. I will buy one too. The best I have seen is $390 on Ebay.

Ken Sager
Feb-11-2007, 10:23am
I just put a Pick Up The World pickup inside an A5 with very good results. Around $130. More natural sounding than I expected.

YMMV,
Ken

mandroid
Feb-11-2007, 12:15pm
no shell, no wooden storage box, connection left as tinned bare wire, for soldering up on installation and sold at wholesale prices to the builder, Could get the price down to there.
they may ask for business tax number to get the dealer price.

Our cafe had someone selling their Dyn-M for 250 on the classifieds.

Yellowmandolin
Feb-12-2007, 3:37pm
I don't have extensive experiance with the Pick-up-the-World pickup, but did like the sound of it. I felt it was much more natural sounding than the Fishman which I do have plenty of experiance with. Good luck!

thistle3585
Feb-12-2007, 3:56pm
Another option would be an EMG-B active pickup. It is a specialty pickup made for Bouzoukis and fits in the oval hole. The downside, as with any magnetic pickup, is that you are restricted to steel strings.

martinedwards
Feb-14-2007, 4:03am
Thanks folks, a lot to chew on.

I'll keep y'all posted.