PDA

View Full Version : A really red f5 for my daughter.

nelson_luthier
Feb-09-2007, 8:15am
Hi,
I thought I would share this first try at scratch building an F5. I normally build acoustic steel string guitars, but my daughter asked for a mandolin. I was thinking maybe an A but she wanted "one of the cute ones with the curly que at the top." #
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v57/nelson_luthier/uglybrotherplaying.jpg
No, that's not my daughter. That's my twin brother (ugly ain't he). He sings sea shanty's with a group called "Salty Walt and the rattlin' rat lines".

It still needs a truss rod and some final set up once she settles in. #The red was her idea. I wanted more of a yellow to red burst, but the customer's opinion always wins out with me as far as looks go. The anchor inlay at the top of the burl peg head was her design as well.

The top is a Sitka/Engleman hybrid that I get from a guy who is logging a canyon in British Columbia where the two species meet and cross breed. (Can I post my resource here?) Maple body and neck with bloodwood binding on the body and fret board. Ebony fret board with rectangualr "dots" made from brass tube stock infilled with white corian. Giraffe bone nut. Hardware including the bridge from Roger Siminoff.

I want to extend my thanks and gratitude to Mr. Siminoff. If it weren't for his marvelous books and email help I would not have had the courage to try this.

Greg Nelson

Lane Pryce
Feb-09-2007, 9:04am
Very nice. Your daughter is really lucky to have a mandolin made by dad. It will always be special to her. Great #1. Lp

John Hill
Feb-09-2007, 10:20am
Sweet. Now there's a red mandolin to go with the "Red Violin". Nice job on your 1st mandolin.

John

mandolooter
Feb-09-2007, 1:34pm
Just a echo of the previous comments...great looking mandolin!

Antlurz
Feb-09-2007, 5:45pm
Considering the tensile strength a giraffe leg bone HAS to be, I've long been thinking down that same path. Nice looking instrument, BTW. She should be proud of it.

Ron

Steve Cantrell
Feb-09-2007, 7:27pm
Great looking mandolin, and judging by the smile on your brother's face, great sounding as well.

Fretbear
Feb-12-2007, 1:45am
One of a kind; the anchor is a cool inlay. Your "salty" twin probably wants to keep it. How does the Sitka/Engleman sound?