PDA

View Full Version : Post a picture of your electric!

4stringmania
Jan-31-2004, 11:11pm
I bought this Ryder 4-string electric used about a year ago. I've had a blast playing it. It has two single coil pickups arranded in a Fender Telecaster type configuration. Sounds great...it will really wail!

mandoJeremy
Feb-01-2004, 12:42am
What's wrong with the headstock there? Half of the name is gone!

4stringmania
Feb-01-2004, 1:06am
I'm afraid it succumbed to my limited picture taking abilities. It's actually hidden behind the "fork" in the stand...you can see it if you look closely.

mandoJeremy
Feb-01-2004, 1:11am
Okay, I see it now. Thanks!

MadMandoingMax
Feb-01-2004, 6:26pm
I know more of you guys do electric...???

DarthWoody
Feb-04-2004, 5:42pm
Harmony H35 Electric, circa 1969, made in the USA.

thistle3585
Feb-05-2004, 9:46am
Alan,
How is the the string spacing on the Ryder compare to an acoustic? It seems rather wide. I would assume that he used a bass bridge.

LouisianaGrey
Feb-05-2004, 9:49am
Here's a rather battered Vanden I've used in a couple of rock bands

http://www.petewoodmanguitars.com/images/Vanden1.jpg

Russ(String-Alley)
Feb-05-2004, 10:21am
wow, thats real nice LouisianaGray! they still make those?
cheers
Russ

Lee
Feb-05-2004, 1:48pm
Here's a Kentucky KM-400E. I've seen a few of the 5-string KM-350's here and there but never saw another one of these. I've owned both and the build quality of this KM-400E is much better than the other. The pick-up on this is very powerful. I call it the poor man's Mandocaster.

Lee
Feb-05-2004, 1:52pm
And here's a closer look. It's labeled with the importer inside; Saga Musical Instruments.

MadMandoingMax
Feb-05-2004, 4:51pm
Wow, awesome guys, lets keep em' flowin'

LouisianaGrey
Feb-05-2004, 5:20pm
Russ, I think Mike Vanden has stopped making mandolins altogether now & is concentrating on jazz guitars (and counting his royalties from the Fishman Rare Earth pickups, which are a copy of his Mimesis pickups made under licence).

4stringmania
Feb-06-2004, 1:30am
Thistle,

The string spacing is about the same as my Rigel acoustic...it looks a little wider because there's only single strings. The bridge has an adjustable bar for each pair of strings, just like a Fender telecaster. I don't know who makes the parts.

Jim Garber
Feb-07-2004, 10:42pm
All right... here are my three. (left to right) ca. 1939 Gibson EM150 (I have the pickguard but it started to crystallize, so I have it stored away and some day will have a repro made before the original one explodes); 1964 EM200 Florentine; and a 1985 Roberts Tiny Moore I ordered from Tiny himself in custom black finish.

The rare times I play electric I reach for the EM200. I like the EM150 sound esp for blues and the TM is a great 5 string.

Jim

mrmando
Mar-08-2004, 1:42pm
OK. Left to right: vintage National Silvo 8-string; Bacorn 5-string; Yanuziello 8-string; Pentasystem 5-string Pentaula (the latter is for sale and doesn't belong to me per se).

Someday I'll figure this &*%#($^#!@$&*)!# digital camera out.

mikeomando
Mar-08-2004, 5:08pm
Jgarber, is that a replacement bridge on your EM-200? and Mrmando, How do you like the Bacorn? Looks like a pretty deeply compensated bridge you got there...

Spruce
Mar-08-2004, 5:27pm
"I think Mike Vanden has stopped making mandolins altogether now..."

I've been communicating with him the last few months and he is still building mandolins quite heavily...
He's also been building amplifiers, however, so who knows what could happen...?

Here's an electric I built back in the late 70's...
Looks like it, doesn't it now?

mrmando
Mar-08-2004, 7:08pm
Well, the story on the Bacorn is this: Originally the bridge was not compensated at all and the thing played horribly out of tune. Roger B. himself wasn't much help -- suggested that the owner use heavier strings. Which he did -- to the point of having an .062 on the C course (you can imagine the other gauges). The owner took it to Jack Chase, a luthier/repairman in Wichita (maker of the F5 coffee table sold here in the Classifieds). Jack took a few bites out of the bridge in order to set the intonation. In the meantime he and the owner designed another 5-string, which Jack proceeded to build. The owner liked that one better so he let the Bacorn go. Guess he pawned the Bacorn in order to raise some dough to buy Jack's instrument; the pawnbroker resold the instrument on eBay; I bought it.

All of which incriminates me because the wife doesn't know about the Bacorn yet...

The intonation is fine except on the C and G strings, where it's still a little off. At Wintergrass I talked to Kurt Gisclair about it; Kurt thinks he can file the bridge flat (to get rid of the ugly gouges) and then glue a fossil-ivory saddle on to it. Said saddle would be compensated for correct intonation. I think I may yet take him up on it. It would be nice if this bridge were actually a little taller. Right now I have to screw those posts almost all the way out in order to get enough clearance to keep the strings from buzzing.

The pickup produces warm & wonderful tone and the instrument is actually quite easy to play. Should be a fun addition to the stable if we ever get one or two things worked out.

Jim Garber
Mar-09-2004, 10:19am
Jgarber, is that a replacement bridge on your EM-200?
Yes, good observation. The EM-200 came with a brass bar for a saddle. I played it for a short time with is but it was too ringy so I put it in the case pocket and put a std rosewood compensated bridge top on it. Sounds much better.

I think the Gibson folks thought that a metal bridge would add to the sustain since this is built essentially like a Les Paul (a Lesser Paul?). Now it sounds nice and warm with the right amount of sustain, to my ears.

Jim

musicofanatic
Mar-10-2004, 2:31am
Here's a primitive little number I whipped on a whim in the seventies. I had taken up temporary residence in the office of a woodworker friend, and with a shop full of tools available...
It's a neck-through, all mahogany, Bill Lawrence p.u. (rotten photo-sorry)

Mar-10-2004, 1:03pm
Step back boys.......here is my electric trio of EF Elliotts

Mar-10-2004, 1:04pm
a better shot of the twins.....

mandoaz
Mar-10-2004, 9:29pm
Dale, those Elliots are sweet! Give us some specs:)

Mar-11-2004, 6:57pm
Martin has the scoop on Emando

EF Elliott (http://emando.com/index2.htm)

Look under builders...EF Elliott
There have been about 25 built to date. That Dixie Chicks fiddler has one.......

mandoaz
Mar-12-2004, 2:29am
Dale,

I checked out Martin's bit on emando.com and even e-mailed Ed himself...I'm sure I'll know more once he writes back...But can you at least tell me if it's a solid or semi-hollow body? What kind of pickup's she got? Any thoughts on the sound?

I don't think Ed's got a website (not that I could find anyway) so any info you could give me would be great http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Mar-12-2004, 4:25pm
Mike, solid body & Ed winds the pickups himself. Think Paul Reed Smith of electric mandos......they are stunning! I hardly ever play them.....They are my E eye candy mandos & I can't help myself as I've bought everyone of them I've come across....... #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Oh.....Ed is sometimes hard to get in touch with...hang in there.

mandoaz
Mar-13-2004, 4:21pm
Thanks for the info, Dale http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif