PDA

View Full Version : Italian tunes

mandocaster
May-06-2004, 9:02am
I started a topic a week or two ago about doing Italian music at commercial gigs. #The responses made me want to get into the music more. #Saturday I will be playing a solo gig for a bunch of actual Italians (yikes!). #Here are the tunes that I can stroll with -
O Solo Mio
Santa Lucia
Torna a Sorrento
Arrivederci Roma
Finiculi Finicula
Viene Sul Mar
La Spagnoleta
La Quarighia (the familiar one)
Tanantella (the familiar one)
That's Amore (Iknow it's not Italian)
Volari
Never on Sunday.

What am I missing? #Are there tunes that every self-respecting Italian mandolinist should know that I don't? #I will probably toss in a few Gypsy and Eastern European tunes and hope that no one minds.

vkioulaphides
May-06-2004, 9:08am
Well... try: Dicitencello vuie, Oj Marí, Mattinata, Marechiare, T'amo, Rimpianto, Tira la cordicella, Tra veglia e sonno, I'te vurria vasa, Tiritomba, Carmé, and a dozen-or-so seneratas and tarantellas you can actually string together into longer pieces.

Ciao!

Victor

mandocaster
May-06-2004, 9:20am
Thanks Victor!

Do you know of any online source for those melodies?

Mitch

vkioulaphides
May-06-2004, 10:03am
Well, Mitch, I know most of these songs by ear... but, if you are interested in anthologies/songbooks that would most likely include them, Hickey's Music (among other retailers) should have several such publications. Look them up. Or, if time is short (i.e. too short for ordering, shipping, etc.), look at your local music store; they ought to have a couple on their shelves.

Best of luck with this.

mandocaster
May-06-2004, 10:33am
Tunes that may be extremely familiar in Europe don't get a lot of play here in Texas. I'll see if I can find a CD of Italian tunes. That will probably be the fasteset way for me to learn them. Maybe I will post some tab when I am done.

Thanks for your suggestions.

jcs271
May-06-2004, 10:44am
How about "Speak Softly Love" (Godfather Theme). NOW THATS ITALIAN!!!