PDA

View Full Version : Gibson snakehead mando

n106nc
Feb-06-2007, 9:26pm
Hello, I just bought (on ebay )a snakehead A-2(I think)serial #70336 and it is signed"Malloy" it is a truss rod model and it appears to have been oversprayed as it has a brown sunburst finish ,however this mando is in excellent condition and was played for 30+years by a touring professional bluegrass player.This thing sounds like Angels singing,Loud,Sweet,tremendous sustain,killer bass response -perfect oval hole tone.I won the auction and payed 1055.00 including shipping to California from Pennsylvania.Does anyone info about the Luthier "Malloy"?Can anyone tell me what year it was made and where it was originally purchased.There is no binding on the back or neck but it has pearl dots ,on fret 5,7,10,12 and 15 as well as coresponding mini dots along the side of the neck.It has kluson deluxe enclosed tuners with white pearloid buttons, the original pickguard,and what I think is the original bridge(one large and one small height adjustment wheel)any and all information would be appreciated.
Thanks,
MIKE B.(n106nc)

Loren Bailey
Feb-06-2007, 10:07pm
Here's the link (http://www.mandolinarchive.com/perl/list_mandolins.pl?loar_period:1) to the Mandolin Archive from that time period. #Most the A2s around that serial# are paddle heads. #Do you have any pics? #Your price sounds like you scored. I am sure one of the resident experts will chime in here with more info than I can offer.

Loren

mythicfish
Feb-06-2007, 10:59pm
I checked the archive too. If it's the genuine article, you may have one of the earliest snakeheads of this model.

Curt

sgarrity
Feb-06-2007, 11:22pm
We need pics!! It sounds like you got one helluva deal

Shaun

Loren Bailey
Feb-07-2007, 9:31pm
How about a link to the auction? I want to see this thing!

Loren