PDA

View Full Version : Quality Gig Bag

Dioptase
May-06-2004, 2:23am
Hey everyone,

I'm considering an extended bicycle trip at the end of the summer... hoping to cover several states, at least. Just sort of exploring. Hoping to take my mid missouri along, and trying to resist the sweet pea urge. I'd like some advice on a gig bag that would fit the mid-mo well, be comfortable to carry or pack, and offer excellent protection.

If anyone has any ideas, I'm open to suggestion.
Micah

John Flynn
May-06-2004, 5:30am
Mid-mo sells a gig bag for thier mandos, probably made by TKL. That would be the way I would go, because it is made to fit your mando. I have a TKL for my Parsons, which is a Mid-mo-like flat top. I really like it and I think it would be ideal for the purpose you describe.

bratsche
May-06-2004, 9:03am
If I were taking an extended bike trip with my Mid-Mo and its gig bag, I would find a nice waterproof backpack large enough to fit them, along with some clothes, which I would stuff inside around the mando for extra protection. I don't think the Mid-Mo TKL gigbag alone is sufficient to protect it while riding a bike for a long period of time, and in changeable atmospheric conditions. JMO!

bratsche

GBG
May-06-2004, 9:39am
Quality gig bag? Kind of like quality Thunderbird wine. You may want to consider a Colorado case cover that can also be used to cover a HS case.

wannabethile
May-06-2004, 9:43am
blue heron, blue heron, blue heron!! there is a post on this board all about them, and they hafta be about the best. check em out

Steve L
May-07-2004, 5:49am
The best gig bags I've seen are made by Mooradian. #They don't seem to stock mandolin bags, but they make custom bags to order. #They are waterproof, very thick and well made. #I had my Les Paul guitar topple over more than once in a Mooradian bag and never a scratch. #

[URL=www.mooradian.com]

Big Joe
May-07-2004, 8:28am
Gig bags can be cool. I had a leather levy's for several years. After its last trip with me I took my mando out to discover the scroll was broken off. It only took a couple hours to fix nicely but I did not forget. I would suggest a Travelite case instead. Just as easy to use and just as light. Far better protection and just as cheap. Just my opinion.

wah
May-07-2004, 11:31am
Amen to the Blue Heron!! I don't consider the Blue Heron or the Colorado gig bags. They both have plenty of padding so you've got alot more protection. I have a Colorado for my A and a Blue Heron for my F and can't say anything bad about either of them.

mandroid
May-11-2004, 11:02pm
Quality? - Reunion Blues - made in San Francisco.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif
Waterproofness is possible, see below addendum.
Think whitewater riverbags.

ira
May-12-2004, 11:27am
hey mandojohnny- though i am quite nervouse to use a gig bag, i am tired of shleping my coffin case (protective but quite heavy) to gigs (approx 3/month). would like to get a gig bag, but never used one and price is an issue as well as protection.
does the midmo bag seem padded enough for the occassional bump into a table walking through the bar, etc...? it fits your parsons- is that mando the same in the way of specs as a midmo? my mando is kinda small, is a gig bag desinged to fit a mando in the same way as a hard case- snuggly with a good fit for the shape, etc....
just to remind you of my mando-
http://www.kennaquhair.com/sn174/

ease my mind about using a gigbag for my baby- my arms are killing me and i need relief from carrying.
sorry if these seem like dumb questions.
thanks for your help as always!

peace,
ira

BenE
May-12-2004, 12:53pm
Ira...
I have heard several people on the cafe talk about getting their mandolins damaged in a gig bag. I would not use one unless you are carrying around a beater. Think of it this way....If you are gigging 3 times a month and something happened to your mandolin would you still be able to play your gigs? To me it is not worth it. Get a Travelite or Modern Supercase with shoulder straps.

garyblanchard
May-12-2004, 1:06pm
Ira

I understand your desire for a lighter case. You might want to check this out:

Musician's Friend Featherwight Mando Case (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040512120202199253178254651587/g=guitar/s=orig_acoustic/search/detail/base_pid/540613/)

I have one for my banjo and it provides a good bit of protection without too much excess weight.

mandowilli
May-12-2004, 5:47pm
I agree, beater only. I have a Reunion Blues gigbag that is very nice but now only use it for my Epiphone schlepper mando after a couple of close calls while traveling with better instruments. I also have a Small Dog case cover but it is mainly to protect a very old case in A-1 condition.

willi

Steve L
May-12-2004, 7:02pm
The TKL bag that came with my Mid Mo is pretty flimsy and not a good fit. I use it on the subway from time to time, but you need to understand that you are running some level of risk.

Mandobar
May-13-2004, 7:56am
the musician's friend case was on sale for $29.99 last time i checked.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7....3 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040512175939068192167184757105/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/540613/)

ira
May-13-2004, 6:24pm
just looked at that musicans friend case. looks like it offers way more protection than a gig bag.

it looks like its for standard a model mandos
will it fine mine???http://www.kennaquhair.com/sn174/

Mandobar
May-14-2004, 6:29am
ira the case is the same size as a tkl shaped case. #i just got one and it will fit a mandolin just a bit larger than an old gibson (i tried my new brentrup L21 in it which came with a tkl shaped case). #if your mando will fit in a shaped tkl case then it will fit in this one. #this may not be of much help if you do not have access to a tkl case but at least it is a starting point. #
btw they are selling these same cases on evil-bay for over $40.

as for the gigbag, i have an extra one of those ones evanp is selling on ebay. i stay in the worcester area on weekends sometimes. you are welcome to try the bag (it is extra padded) to see whether this will help your arms.

ira
May-14-2004, 7:05am
mandobar- are you talking about the musician's friend bag? when willyou be in worcester email me ilkslp@comcast.net
thanks

Coy Wylie
May-14-2004, 7:14am
Does anyone know if that MF carries a gig bag like that for an F-style. All I can find on their sight is an A-style bag. For $30 that seems like a great deal for packing around at festivals.

ira
May-14-2004, 7:28am
didn't see one on their site but i'm not a great searcher.
sorry for one more questions for those whove used gigbags or ultralite cases like the mf. if the fit isn't perfect like a snug hard shell fit. do you put in towels or other absorbers to fit it more snugly?

John Flynn
May-14-2004, 11:32am
Here is another possibility: Musician's Friend is selling a "Rover" hardshell case for $22. I bought one for my Parsons. It is well made, but it is a large case for a mando, so any mando should fit loosely in it, as mine does. Then I took some of those removable pads that come with computer cases, removed the velcro from them and padded out the case so the mando is snug. Then I bought a triple tennis racket case as a case cover. I bought a Wilson "Triad" because it suited my needs at the time, but I really like the Dunlop "Bullet." I just couldn't lay my hands on one in the time frame I had. Both go for about $35. The Rover case fits in the Wilson like a glove, like it was custom made. I have been quoted $75-$125 for a shaped case and $125-$175 for a good case cover, so I think I did a good job of protecting my "beater" mando on a budget.

Also, the tennis case is a great disguise. It solves the problem of having conversations like the following in the airport:

"Wutcha got in the case?"

"A mandolin."

"I had an uncle that played the banjo once."

"I think I saw that movie..."

berkeleymando
May-28-2004, 12:42am
I called Blue Heron and they said they only make gig bags in "standard" sizes for A and F style mandos. What about the rest of us with unusually shaped amndolins?

mandroid
May-28-2004, 11:46pm
I got a light styrofoam <johnson made> case from MF kind of loose fitting for As , but you gotta haul your spare Y fronts somewhere , so padding options abound!

addendum, on the Weather resistant front: A find I made a few years ago was an REI rolltop daypack. IT fits well over my old 'A' in its original case, raingear, case cover, and carrying strap harness all in one.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Cheryl Watson
May-31-2004, 10:22am
Colorado case in silver grey with double the insulation protection.

That's the best IMHO , and Peter Rowan thinks so too, but if you fall off of your bike and land on your mandolin...