PDA

View Full Version : Changed strings, now got buzz on G in open

Kid Charlemagne
May-05-2004, 5:36pm
Okay, I got some Thomastik lights, and I can already tell that I love them. That said, as I changed them out, I found that I was getting a bit of a buzz on the G string (the one closest to the edge of the fretboard) in open position. I can only assume that the action is too low or something.

I messed around w/the bridge height, but it didn't seem to make a difference. What else can you guys suggest that I could fool with as a possible solution?

sunburst
May-05-2004, 6:27pm
If you changed from heavier strings, based on what you've said you probably don't have enough bow in the neck with the lights.
You may have to loosen the truss rod in the neck (if it has one).
OR, the strings might be too low in the nut. Sometimes, with new strings, buzzes show up that weren't there with the old worn strings. Especially on the wound strings.

Kid Charlemagne
May-05-2004, 7:49pm
So, supposing that the string is sitting low in the nut (which is kind of what I suspect). Is there anything that can be done short of replacing the nut or making a new groove? Some sort of "temporary" filler that can be removed later?

Steven Stone
May-05-2004, 9:52pm
Try slipping a piece of paper or matchbook or two-ply paper under the offending string slot. It will raise it just a bit and you can see how much you need to fill in the slot to eliminate the buzz.

I don't recommend messing with the nut to change the relief. that's a good way to turn a small problem into a big one real quick http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Kid Charlemagne
May-06-2004, 5:59am
I agree with that /\/\, Steven. Messing around with the nut will most likely only end badly.

I had thought of using a little piece of something like what you suggest, but worried about response on that string - the nut's bone for a reason, after all.

What sort of filler exists to permanently-temporarily remedy the problem. If these strings are what I really am a fan of, then I may switch to them permanently (which would ultimately require a trip back to Bill Bussmann for a replacement of the nut), but for the time being I'm just testing them out and not necessarily planning on much of anything permanent (other than not hurting the mandolin).

John Flynn
May-06-2004, 6:03am
There is a technique that luthiers use for a temporary fix, but I would have a luthier do it for you. They can take dust left over from sanding nuts of the same material, fill the slot with the dust and then just "wet" the dust with super-glue. This essentially "spackles over" the slot. Then they re-file the slot down to the proper level. I have done this successfully myself after having watched my luthier do it. However, you have to have some "nut dust" available and you have to be really careful with the super glue or you will get it on your headstock and/or fretboard.

sunburst
May-06-2004, 8:08am
you have to be really careful with the super glue or you will get it on your headstock and/or fretboard.
A fair warning and good advice!

This can be done with just superglue or with baking soda and superglue. Some people put a shim under the nut, but if you do you'll probably have to re-cut all the rest of the slots.

I'd try the temporary fix, as you say, and see if you get rid if the buzz and see if you like the strings, then go visit Bill for a new nut or whatever he thinks is appropriate if need be.

Lee
May-06-2004, 11:41am
Check down by the tailpiece. "Keep it simple"

PCypert
May-06-2004, 12:01pm
Where does one purchase "nut dust".
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Lee
May-06-2004, 12:14pm
from a nut duster?
Stew Mac maybe

Kid Charlemagne
May-06-2004, 1:12pm
Where does one purchase "nut dust".
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Thread officially killed. BLAM!

Thanks for the hints, y'all. Seriously, this is something that was driving me nuts, particularly because the new strings feel so darn good to play.

Lee, pretty much decided it's not the tailpiece - none of the other strings do it, and fretting at the Ab on the G string eliminates the buzz. Bill suggested using the edge of a knife blade pressed against the string in the slot to see if it eliminated the buzz (if it does, it would indicate the groove is too wide for the new string). I'm going to try that as soon as I get home this afternoon. Since I was using D'addario J74s (w/a G gauge of 0.40), I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's what it is. Funny how none of the other strings is doing it, though.

Bill also suggested the baking powder/superglue fix, which I may end up trying. Or, I'll just powder some bone (got some of that lying around) and do the same thing with it.

Kid Charlemagne
May-08-2004, 9:08am
Hey, just an update to the string buzz issue. I was fooling with the instrument this morning, and on impulse stuck my fingernail up into the groove. Killed the buzz. Fortunately, the groove width is only a touch over what it should be for the Thomastik.

So, long story short, a tiny piece of clear flexible plastic, no more than 0.01 inches thick, laid in the groove and then the string on top of it. The little square is invisible, and the problem is solved with no loss of tone from sticking something mroe substantial in the groove. Plus, no extensive and potentially messy modifications to the nut. I's a happy man.

Andy Morton
May-08-2004, 1:47pm
Tip on using superglue and baking soda. #I have used this successfully. #Lynn D, told me to pack the nut slot with backing soda, use very thin super glue and use the head of a pin to put a drop of glue on the packed nut and that way you don't risk getting a bunch of super glue all over your headstock, fretboard, floor, house, yard--you know -- all of creation.

Andy

John Flynn
May-08-2004, 1:55pm
I agree wholeheartedly with mando andy. In addition, you should mask the fretboard and the headstock with painter's tape when doing this operation.