PDA

View Full Version : 1907 edison bowl back

Tracy Ballinger
Jan-29-2007, 9:45pm
I ran across one of these the other day at an antique store. I did NOT buy it because it has issues! They were asking $130 for it, and (from my 3 minute inspection before they closed for the night)if I correctly recall all the problems: separation of ribs in 2 places; ribs separating at neck joint; crack in fingerboard and extending into soundboard to soundhole; 3 small pieces of wedge-shaped inlay missing around soundhole... I think one or maybe two ribs may have been cracked...I think that's all. Not a lot of deep chips and dings, although it looked like it may have been 'refinished'; i.e., one could see where sections of the finish were missing, yet there was finish on top of it. (Ya know what I mean?) One could also see some crazing in parts of the finish. It had the original Edison stamped tailpiece. SOMEWHERE, I have seen a picture of a bowlback that has an identical pickguard... spread-winged inlaid eagle on tortoise shell. That part of it was in great shape.

Now, my question is this: How much (ballpark) would it cost to bring this mandolin back to life, and/or would it be worth it?? I can find ABSOLUTELY no information on Edison mandolins. (Maybe I'm even remembering the maker wrong, I dunno! But I don't think so. I started with an E and I know it wasn't Epiphone!)

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Tracy

Eugene
Jan-29-2007, 10:16pm
I think I know exactly what you're describing. If so, these were very low-end instruments and would only be worth that asking price in almost pristine condition. When shopping old bowlbacks, the most damning damage in my estimation are neck-warp issues and collapsed cants (i.e., the crease in the soundboard). If this Edison doesn't have those, it could probably be salvaged, but it sounds to me like there are enough issues it wouldn't be worth the effort.

If you'd like to explore bowlbacks, you might be better served to seek out an entry-level Vega or Lyon & Healy (especially Washburn or American Conservatory)...or any number of other recognizable golden-era brand names already in playable condition (or close). With patience and shopping savvy, they can often be had in the lower $200s. Unfortunately when I'm selling or hoarding/fortunately when I'm buying, quality bowlbacks are some of the most undervalued stringed instruments in the US.

Jim Garber
Jan-29-2007, 10:44pm
Could be an Edwin?? THey were sold by Tonk Brothers.

Here is one Eagle on the pickguard but it is labelled Hartmann, NY.

Jim

Jim Garber
Jan-29-2007, 10:46pm
Here is another one, no label, but I am pretty sure it was sold by Tonk Brothers as it resembles one in the catalog I have circa 1901.

Jim