PDA

View Full Version : Curtis baker?

EdSherry
Jan-29-2007, 3:27pm
I bought a second-hand F-5 made by one Curtis Baker in 2002 off eBay. Anyone know anything about him? Thanks in advance.

lvaughn
Dec-07-2009, 12:57pm
I know a Curtis Baker who makes mandolins ... he lives in Hilsboro, Texas or around there. What other markings are inside the mandolin and are you interested in selling it?

lidosailing
Oct-04-2010, 12:48pm
Hi Ed i too have a Curtis Baker # 20 2001 A very fast F style came from Texas guy had 2 of them E bay.... softer woody sound VERY PLAYBLE.. probably best of my 8 mandos inc 2 -1915 The Gibsons F3 nnd A4... M.KELLY and MM... was told Curtis was 85 +_ in 2001..and may have worked for Gibson in "the day" , good story anyway great mando.... WE PROBABLY GOT IT FROM SAME GUY WAS SOME YEARS BACK WHAT YOUR # 19 OR 21?

cjthebaker
Dec-20-2011, 10:53pm
I ran across this forum by accident and I see that the posts are pretty old but if you are sill interested in knowing about Curtis, I'd be glad to give you some information about him. He is my grandfather.
Do you still have the mandolins that he built? I have the #1 and #14 and it's always cool to run across someone else who has one. He built several full body guitars and a couple of small body ones as well. Let me know if you are interested in knowing more; this thread is pretty old so I'll wait and see if anyone is still following it before I post anything.

lidosailing
Jun-01-2018, 11:17am
Hi lido sailing again
Have question about your grandfather the mandolin maker.
Norms shoppe. Reverb.com

lidosailing
Jun-01-2018, 11:19am
Do you know how he became so proficient as a maker.. did he work for some one as apprentice?

Thanks
Norm collector #20