PDA

View Full Version : Electric Mando Plans

toddjoles
May-05-2004, 1:20pm
So far I have not found any. MIMF supposedly had them at one time, but they no longer offer them.

Can you use a Les Paul Jr plan and rework the neck?

berkeleymando
May-05-2004, 8:32pm
I'm also quite interested in finding any existing emando plans. Please any thoughts?

thistle3585
May-06-2004, 8:44am
I made my own. #I cut and pasted a set of plans, that I found online, into photoshop then scaled them to the desired size. I downloaded the plans from various sites that offered them for free. I have done that with about five different designs for some solid body electrics I'm making. #I took the files to a printer who printed them full size for me.

Mastersound
May-07-2004, 7:34am
Hi

I do the same... almost. Find a pic of a design you like, then cut it into quarters with PhotoShop or PaintShop Pro or whatever, then print the individual pieces at whatever size you want (I use ACDSee) then do a paste up with sticky tape and cut the shape with scissors, then hold it against a mando neck profile and see if it works. If it does then make a template from ply or mdf or whatever. It also helps to measure the scale length... one of the designs I quite liked (a mini Ibanez DC shape) looked good, the rough shaped blank looked great, then I realised the bridge would be almost falling off the end of the body! A different neck length/profile will fix it, but I felt just a touch foolish! :-)

mandroid
May-25-2004, 8:54pm
There was one I found on this site a few years ago, archived , perhaps.

thistle3585
May-26-2004, 1:12pm
Toddjoles.
Is this what you were looking for?

thistle3585
May-26-2004, 1:16pm
Here is a 3D rendering of the same top. We just finished the drawing.

toddjoles
May-26-2004, 1:31pm
Thank's for the help it looks like that would work. Is the scale 1:1?

Now to locate a bridge and pickups!http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif

thistle3585
May-26-2004, 8:23pm
Todd,
I don't remember where this drawing came from, but I scaled down the full size guitar drawing. I measured several instruments and decided on a body length and width, then scaled it down as close as I could. I was really surprised to find that it scaled down without any real alterations to make it fit. I used a neck installed at the 14th fret to determine the bridge placement.
You can cut and paste the drawing above, then scale it so that the line that runs vertically between the two knobs is 10 1/8" long. That will put it very close to my final drawing. I can email you the fullsize drawing, but it may be a large file.

toddjoles
May-27-2004, 5:08pm
Not a problem, I can handle the rescaling myself. It's going to be a while until I can start building
the electric as I have two modified F's ahead of it but I have some down time and wanted to start designing it to keep busy.

Thanks for your help.