PDA

View Full Version : Loarfest, anyone?

bjh
Jan-26-2007, 9:34am
Hope this is the right category for this topic.

I am going to the Loarfest in Bakersfield, California next Thursday. Is there anyone else attending? Is there a "secret sign" for greeting fellow Cafe members?

BJH

f5loar
Jan-26-2007, 11:23am
Carry your Loar in it's original case and that will be the secret sign! Actually I'm still waiting on the CD from the LoarTasting we were promised from last year.

johnwalser
Jan-26-2007, 12:21pm
Last year I met several Cafe members with the "secret sign" of asking other mandolin players if they had ever visited the Mandolin Cafe. The Cafe members nodded yes, between bouts of drooling and animated conversations with a non-existent Captain Kirk, and the others asked me if I was some kind of pinko computer geek.
It might be best to pretend you've never heard of the Mandolin Cafe in public.
John
We will be ariving Wednesday and just hope to have as much as last year.

Scott Tichenor
Jan-26-2007, 1:55pm
Actually I'm still waiting on the CD from the LoarTasting we were promised from last year.
Ken Cartwright can correct me if I'm wrong, but he's posted several times over the past 6-9 months that the quality of the recording did not turn out well enough to be acceptable for distribution, and that there would be none.

f5loar
Jan-26-2007, 3:29pm
And I said I'll take it "as is" noise and all which is better than nothing. It was done for a reason to hear different Loars played by the same person and if all were done the same way with the same noise it's all realitive.

Spruce
Jan-26-2007, 5:24pm
See ya'll Thursday....

I'll have a shirt on that says "Earth First! (We'll log the other planets later....")

grandmainger
Jan-26-2007, 5:29pm
Actually I'm still waiting on the CD from the LoarTasting we were promised from last year.
Ken Cartwright can correct me if I'm wrong, but he's posted several times over the past 6-9 months that the quality of the recording did not turn out well enough to be acceptable for distribution, and that there would be none.
Is there any way these recordings could be made available as MP3s somewhere? Presumable, if they're not "good enough" to produce a recording, they might be OK to release as bootlegs?

JAK
Jan-27-2007, 4:37pm
There might be a "Mandolin Cafe" sticker on the mandolin case of those carrying theirs around.

Hans
Jan-27-2007, 10:00pm
I'll be there with 3 Lloyds.
Uh, Shayne..."How can you keep on movin'...unless you migrate too?" #I'll be interested to see how you can be at SPGBMA and Loargasm on the same weekend! # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

BTW, I'll be the #guy with the Filson buttons on my shirt...please stop by and say howdy. You know, sometimes, folks come by and don't introduce themselves...come on folks...shake a hand. We're all Cafe members too!

Big Joe
Jan-27-2007, 11:33pm
Dave Harvey will be there this year in place of Charlie Derrington. You will certainly be in for a treat with his knowledge of mandolin building and repair and his excellent playing skills. I think he will be a real asset to the meeting.

Michael Lewis
Jan-28-2007, 2:23am
Glad to hear David Harvey will be there. Maybe can catch up with him as I didn't attend IBMA last year. Joe, I'll miss seeing you, but have a good time at SPBGMA.

I will have my work bench and tools if anyone needs service to their instruments. Probably have a mandolin or two, plus an archtop guitar. The work is already lining up.

See you all Wednesday PM.

Pete Braccio
Jan-28-2007, 2:53am
Hey all,

I'll be there. I'm moving a bit slow after neck surgery, but I got the OK to travel this week. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Pete

craigw
Jan-28-2007, 3:07pm
Joe, maybe next year you'll be able to come out too. We're moving SuperGrass 2008 to January 10-13 which is right before the NAMM show. If we can keep LoarFest West going it will be then as well.

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-29-2007, 4:30am
For future reference - i was hoping to get to Bakersfield this year from the UK. I can get to LA with no problems,but as a non-driver,how would i get to Bakersfield from LA,it's 130
mile trip - is there a Greyhound bus service from LA to Bakersfield ?. I've decided to go to the IBMA festival in Nashville this year instead. I've been to Nashville before & it's easy to get to - Manchester (UK) > Chicago > Nashville,
Saska

grandmainger
Jan-29-2007, 4:58am
For future reference - i was hoping to get to Bakersfield this year from the UK. I can get to LA with no problems,but as a non-driver,how would i get to Bakersfield from LA,it's 130
mile trip - is there a Greyhound bus service from LA to Bakersfield ?
From greyhound.com (http://greyhound.com/): LA to Bakersfield, $40 return, about 10 departures daily... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
Germain

kymandolin29
Jan-29-2007, 10:14am
man someday im gonna go to loarfest....will it ever be in denver???i have a huge problem.....started to change strings and noticed one of the screws from the gear on the back of my tuners had fell out....it screws into the post.. anywhere to find these ..maybe from gibson ...i want to play it a spgma but with out the screw id dare not play it...

craigw
Jan-29-2007, 12:00pm
Saska, you might try an internet search of "Airport Bus of Bakersfield". Yhey have a few runs daily from downtown Bakersfield and LAX. You should be able to find schedules and fares on their website. Their terminal is about 20 city blocks from the convention center. Greyhound's Bakersfield terminal might be a little closer but Airport Bus will pick you up right outside the LAX terminal with no other connectors.

f5loar
Jan-29-2007, 6:10pm
I went into LA last year and rented a small car to drive to Bakersville. About $100 for the weekend. That way you can drive out to Buck's Palace for a great steak dinner.
Some fine Mexican resturants in the area too.

craigw
Jan-30-2007, 12:21am
Speaking of Buck's place, the Crystal Palace: last year we had an informal group of between 40 and 50 Loarfest participants, luthiers and CBA officials that went out to dinner Wednesday night at one of our really good Basque restaurants. This year we will try the same thing but do the dinner at the Crystal Palace. It's a real showplace that Buck spent several million$$ to build and has his custom Cadillac that at one time was owned by Webb Pierce mounted over the bar. It's also a museum of Bakersfield Sound memorabilia including all of Buck's Nudie suits, instruments, historic photos and the like. At the same time it is a great place to eat. If you happen to get there by Wednesday feel free to join us at Buck's place.

f5loar
Jan-30-2007, 1:14am
Craig, be sure and remind Darryl he is to bring me back a LoarFest mug and XL T shirt! Sounds like another great LoarFest West.

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-30-2007, 1:56am
Hi guys - Many thanks to you all for the information re.getting to Bakersfield from LA.
Unfortunately,it's too late for me to book to get there this year,even to take advantage of the very kind offer from Gary Vessel,to give me a lift from LA to Bakersfield. I'll probably try to get there next year,but i'm hoping to console myself with the IBMA festival down in Nashville in October. Your help & advice is very much appreciated,
Saska

craigw
Jan-30-2007, 10:30am
Saska, sorry you can't be here this year. When you come to IBMA be sure to visit the CBA hospitality suite in the Renaissance Hotel and meet up with us.
Tom, I'll see Darryl tomorrow when all the preliminary fun starts. Sorry you can't make this one.