PDA

View Full Version : Dumb strap question

architectx
Jan-22-2007, 8:14am
Okay, now it's more than a little bit obvious that I'm totally new to the mandolin thing...

Anyways, I've been making good progress with my recently acquired MT. Our band at church (for which I play acoustic guitar) is working on a couple of tunes that have some mando parts, so I'm gonna hand my guitar off on those tunes and pick the mando.

Thing is I need a strap. I don't know how to attach a strap to an A style mando. I feel stupid for asking, but could someone enlighten me on how to attach the headstock end? Is it like a guitar without a strap button on the heel? Also, what strap should I buy? Do folks like the Collings straps?

Thanks for the help!

cooper4205
Jan-22-2007, 8:19am
get a leather bootlace and tie it around the neck of the mandolin, under the fretboard extension or you can tie it under the stings right behind the nut. or get strap button installed, nothing wrong with that.

Jim Broyles
Jan-22-2007, 8:27am
A leather shoelace, or something similar, attached to the end hole of the strap and tied around the headstock does the job. Straps are subject to personal taste, but I use the Long Hollow Softy for my F style. It would take some reworking to make it fit an A style, but there are straps sold as A or F straps. Folks have been known to install a strap button on the lower side of the neck heel as well. I did this to a Kentucky 250S I had, but I might not do it to an MT. If you buy a Collings strap, it should have directions for putting it on an A style mandolin.

Avi Ziv
Jan-22-2007, 8:32am
I just bought a Long Hollow Softy (sold regularly through the classifieds here on the cafe) and couldn't be happier with it. If has several slits on one end that can be used to go over the end pin. At the headstock (A mando in my case) I run it through the strings behind the nut. That end of the strap is not quite long enough to go around the fretboard extension, but I found that the instrument balances very well with the headstock tie. There are no metal parts - nothing to damage the instrument and the strap is super-comfortable.

Avi

AlanN
Jan-22-2007, 8:34am
For the headstock tie, you may want to affix it to a bit north of the nut, say between tuner rows 2 and 3. Keeps it out of the way better.

Avi Ziv
Jan-22-2007, 8:48am
Right Alan - this is what I did too
Avi

architectx
Jan-22-2007, 8:59am
Thanks folks!

I was figuring a headstock tie of sorts would be the solution, but I wasn't certain and couldn't find any pictures online clear enough to answer my question.

Appreciate it!

Regards,

Trey

John Flynn
Jan-22-2007, 9:10am
When I have to strap a mando on the headstock, I don't even bother with a tie anymore. I just use one of the treble tuner buttons as a strap button. I slip the hole in the end of the strap over the tuner button for either the #2 or #3 string. Once it is on, it holds securely, doesn't hurt the tuning machine and it doesn't interfere with tuning.

TonyP
Jan-22-2007, 7:04pm
I have recently joined the A legion. I just put a strap button on the heel of the neck and the mando sits perfect. Wish my F5 sat so nice. But I'm a over the left shoulder guy, and I think that also helps. I've had the strap for years and it was originally for a right shoulder F5, but it works great for my A model, on the last holes. I personally hate the peghead straps that I've played. Can't get comfortable. But that's just my 2c.

mandolinplucker
Jan-24-2007, 10:28pm
Bite the bullit and put a strap button on the neck heel. I play an "A" and the strap is tied to both buttons with larks-head knots. If your end pin is on good you won't have to worry about dropping it because the strap came unbuttoned. I watched a friends D 35 fall to the concrete and crushed the side because the strap came unbuttoned. Back to the point. the mando balances better with the strap attaches to the neck heel. I know it hurts to get a drill to a new instrument. I felt the pain with my new HD 28 but it was the first thing I did when I got it home. Then I didn't have to worry about it any more.

Loren Bailey
Jan-24-2007, 10:53pm
You can also tie the strap around the body, under the fingerboard extension. #I installed a strap button on the heel of my Breedlove but eventually went with it around the body as it just seemed to feel a lot more balanced that way.

You can sorta see how it looked:

Lorenhttp://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/256/256653/folders/193697/1457693DSCF0047.JPG

Crowder
Jan-24-2007, 10:59pm
Dude sells a nice turned-wood strap pin for those who are interested. I put one on by Bourgeois guitar and it doesn't look out of place at all.

mythicfish
Jan-24-2007, 11:24pm
And don't forget to buy the strap polish.

Curt