PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin vs guitar(and other instruments)

Larry R
Jan-20-2007, 9:42pm
No, I'm NOT trying to put one instument over the other because I love them both. Instead I'm just referring to particular things I like better about one of the two.

Mandolin. Alot of chord sequences can be played faster. Easier to play fast riffs where the notes are well spaced.I love the way some chords like Am7 or Dm7 sound very distinctive, and not like a C and F major on guitar. Best of all, it makes me feel unique to say I play mandolin among a group of people.

Guitar. Much easier to play fast lead riffs above the 7th fret. You can bend strings. Chords like augmented 9th's sound so cool.

When I get a little better at 5 string banjo, on my make a comparison there as well.

John Flynn
Jan-20-2007, 11:10pm
In addition, the guitar has a wider range and because it has a lower octave+, it's a more versatile solo instrument and in a better range to accompany singers. Of course, you could say the same about the octave mandolin. There are more guitars to choose from, at better prices relative to quality. However, as you point out, being a mando player is unique. There a LOT of guitarists out there! Also, the mando is just a whole lot of fun to play. The fretboard is laid out very logically, whereas the guitar has that B string going on. Both are great, but even though I have 20 more years on the guitar than I do on the mando, I play the mando better and enjoy it a lot more.

allenhopkins
Jan-20-2007, 11:33pm
Each instrument has its unique voice, role, strengths and weaknesses. Never understood why players of one instrument, feel impelled to put down other instruments. All my stringed instruments, from Autoharp to zither (A to Z, get it?), have given me what I needed in a variety of situations. (Although as yet I haven't found a niche for my charango; I just like looking at its ears.)

Tommy Tedesco, the great LA session player, used to have a column called "Studio Log" in Guitar Player magazine. He wrote how he added music to albums, movie and TV soundtracks, commercials, etc., playing several dozen instruments. All of which he tuned like a guitar, so he wouldn't have to learn other chords. Perhaps, in his own way, Tommy found the mystic place where all instruments meet, and frolic together as friends...

Peter Hackman
Jan-21-2007, 6:50am
mandolin, guitar, whatever ... To my way of thinking it's all one
huge versatile instrument,
certainly vintage, not quite prewar, conceived in November '43, took
9 months build and has been growing and opening up ever since.

gnelson651
Jan-21-2007, 11:29am
I enjoy the guitar..when someone else is playing it.

I never had the desire to play guitar. My first string instrument was the banjo and I never got past playing melodies, couldn't play rhythm worth a darn.

Picked it the mandolin and everything just fell into place. The banjo has since been sitting in the closet for the last three years. I've decided to devote everything to the mandolin being 54 years old, I don't have the time to go into other directions.

But I appreciate the other instruments and what they add to the sound of the overall music.

AW Meyer
Jan-21-2007, 12:11pm
Like others here, I have played the guitar a lot longer than mandolin. I started guitar as a kid about 40 years ago. I bought my first mandolin about 30 years back, but never got serious about it until a couple of years ago. They get about equal time from me now. I love them both, and it's especially great when a pickin' pal comes over who can play either. It's a lot of fun trading them back and forth. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Rick Schmidlin
Jan-21-2007, 2:26pm
I play my guitar for sing a longs and a basic open chord player.But my main instrument the mandolin is my voice.

Elliot Luber
Jan-21-2007, 2:46pm
I agree. It's not a versus situation. Some people are born to play bass or guitar or mandolin, or even all three. When people of different types get together and collaborate, something new and beautiful is often created. God even made B#njo players. Why, I have no idea.

JGWoods
Jan-21-2007, 3:32pm
"... God even made B#njo players. Why, I have no idea."
Trailer parks need music too...

seanonabutton
Jan-21-2007, 6:58pm
This has probably been said but mandolin makes sense because it doesnt have that darn b string like the guitar. on mandolin the patterns stay simple and easily accessable part due to the fact that it is a small instrument in which one is able to stay in the first position for just about everything as opposed to guitar. however guitar is loud and proud and a cheap guitar in my opinion sounds myuch better than a cheap mandolin. although a nice mandolin sounds waaay better than a nice guitar. Also mandolin makes more sense than violin because on mandolin you are able to cheat with frets and a pick which takes a lot of the technique you need to play violin. All i can see that violin has on mandoin is a MUCH higher volume and whether or not you like the sound is up to you but i almost prefer the sound of a violin to that of a mandolin or guitar.

Mattg
Jan-21-2007, 11:38pm
Mandolin. Fits in the overhead on the airplane better.
Guitar. Doesn't fit in the overhead as well. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I can play much snappier rhythms on the mandolin than the guitar.

Patrick Killeen
Jan-22-2007, 4:50am
Also mandolin makes more sense than violin because on mandolin you are able to cheat with frets and a pick which takes a lot of the technique you need to play violin. All i can see that violin has on mandoin is a MUCH higher volume
It may need a lot more technique to use a bow, but it makes the violin a more expresive instrument (in the right hands). Once you pick a note there's not a lot you can do with it, apart from bend it or mute it, when you're bowing a note you're in control of it throughout its life.

I play an electric mandolin so volume isn't an issue, but I stared out on harmonica, and I just can't get the same amount of feeling when I'm picking on my mando than I can when I'm puffing on my harp. On the other hand, each diatonic harmonica can only be played in a few key's it's quite limited harmonically. I got myself a viola a while back in the hope of getting the best of both worlds (as yet I can just about play C scale http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif ).

Soupy1957
Jan-22-2007, 6:15am
In a Jam setting, the mando can only "sing" so loud, before you're buzzing the strings to get volume outa it. The guitar is more "filling" in the room.

The point made about string bending was obviously made before that person saw the Dawg clip where he DOES some serious "bending." (but I agree that "bending" is harder on a mando). I used to "bend" double strings on my 12-string guitar, from time to time, so I know it CAN be done.

A piece of advice to those who play both guitar and mando, and are more experienced on the guitar (such is the case with me): Force yourself to take ONLY the mando to the next Jam. Don't use your guitar as an excuse to put the mando down. I have, and it didn't help me learn the mando.

Yes, it is a relief from time to time, to mindlessly play the guitar (little or no effort required in "thinking" about what you're doin, cause you're THAT good at it), but it's the time on the mando you need, more, "steve." (pointing at myself).
-Soupy1957

Patrick Killeen
Jan-22-2007, 6:52am
A piece of advice to those who play both guitar and mando, and are more experienced on the guitar (such #is the case with me): #Force yourself to take ONLY the mando to the next Jam. #Don't use your guitar as an excuse to put the mando down. #I have, and it didn't help me learn the mando.
I have just that problem when I take my harps to a jam along with my mando, I always end up playing my harps because I can sound good on them while my mando only gets a token pick or two.

Dave Schimming
Jan-22-2007, 10:52am
I prefer guitar when playing solo and when singing. I know more lead breaks on mandolin.

Givson
Jan-22-2007, 11:32am
According to my wife, the guitar is a sexy instrument; the mandolin is not.

Jerry Byers
Jan-22-2007, 11:37am
A mandolin is a small guitar, right? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I have had more people ask about my "little guitar" than my mandolin.

Ken Sager
Jan-22-2007, 11:47am
Why not compare a VW bus to a Honda CBR 600? Different instruments, different vehicles. Both can obviously travel the same road, but how you do it is completely different. You decide whether the bus or the motorcycle is the mandolin in this analogy.

Love to all,
Ken

fatt-dad
Jan-22-2007, 12:21pm
It's a "versus" to my wife also: She likes the sound of the guitar versus the sound of the mandolin. To her it's something about the shrill voice of the mandolin. I on the other hand, find equal enjoyment in playing either.

f-d

MNDOLNR
Jan-22-2007, 12:35pm
I'm a converted guitar player (16 years), and I've found that since I started playing the mandolin (7 years now) I'm happier with my guitar playing. When I was playing guitar exclusively, I found myself becoming programmed and repetitive. The mandolin, amongst its many virtues, has led me down the path of musician, not just guitar player. adding another instrument like learning another dialect of the musical language...

ApK
Jan-22-2007, 1:14pm
Guitar is my main instrument. # Next to the human voice, I think acoustic guitar is just about the most versatile instrument there is.
I picked up a cheap mando on a whim and enjoy it, but the only thing that keeps it in higher stature than everything else in the "big pile of instruments that I'm not very good with" is the fact that I am also trying to learn fiddle, and I find the mando a great way to help learn fiddle tunes with out the bow and intonation issues getting in the way.

ApK

Larry R
Jan-22-2007, 1:20pm
For some reason, it wasen't until I took up mandolin, that I really wanted to expand my musical horizons and get every stringed instrument available.

Also, I can play my guitars or 5 string banjo, when people are talking, TV is on etc with no problem. But when I'm home alone in an empty house without a sound to distract me, that's when I really appreciate the sound of my mandolin. And that's just a $200 Washburn.

Steve G
Jan-22-2007, 1:36pm
Frank Zappa said something like "You can get different sounds out of different instruments. But you can get 'sex' out of a guitar."

Jim Broyles
Jan-22-2007, 1:41pm
I guess I felt that I had gone as far as I could go on the guitar, and that might be why I elected to take up the mandolin. I am a pretty good electric guitar player. I was most recently in a country band which covered a lot of Alan Jackson material, and I tried to get the Tele parts of Brent Mason down cold. I was told I did a decent job of it. But, the band was mediocre and I wasn't being stretched any longer and I quit. I was tired of the guitar and figured learning bluegrass mandolin would give me a fresh perspective on music. Well, I am now a better acoustic guitar player, due to hearing a lot of good flatpickers while on my mandolin quest. After I get re-used to the guitar neck, I feel I can do more now than before I took up the mando. I still play much more mandolin than guitar, and at church I am the electric bass guitar player, but I haven't really touched the electric guitar in months. I take my guitar to jams on occasion, but I will only pick it up if there are too many mandos and not enough guitars.

Rick Schmidlin
Jan-22-2007, 1:48pm
According to my wife, the guitar is a sexy instrument; the mandolin is not.
Mine feels the perfers the mando and the guitar turns her off. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Riccardo
Jan-22-2007, 6:16pm
All of which he tuned like a guitar, so he wouldn't have to learn other chords. #Perhaps, in his own way, Tommy found the mystic place where all instruments meet, and frolic together as friends...
I remember when I got my first violin, I was 13 years old, I tuned it like a guitar, in fourths. It sounded horrible. I couldn't find a teacher in my small city so I forgot about the Violin until a couple years ago. When I discovered that tuning in fifths has quite a few advantages in terms of fingering ease - apart from making the Violin sing as it should.

lightnbrassy
Jan-22-2007, 6:45pm
It is funny to think of instruments in this way. I personally like the middle voice, between the mandolin and guitar. The viola to me is a beautiful sounding instrument, but traditionally it slips through the cracks for the most part. The mandola is a nice alternative to the mando or guitar too, but like the viola it seems to have been deemed a fringe instrument. But then you have the ukulele, which has a rich history of its own but has significantly less range than our 5th tuned mandos and 'dolas. It has the range of a mandolin minus the top string and three notes down below but is nonetheless quite versatile. Applied to guitars, I like the Tacoma Papoose, though from looking into the instrument I'd learned that this little guitar has problems with the tension - that these instruments are shortly affected by the tension of the strings.

Caleb
Jan-22-2007, 7:51pm
I've been playing guitar for 15 years and was never interested in the mandolin up until a few months ago. But since I've started listening to mandolin music and have started to play, I find that the mandolin is a much more interesting instrument than the guitar. There are many guitar players in the world, but, in my view, there are not that many that play all that well. Seems like lots of people own a guitar and know a few chords. It just gets boring to me. The whole subject of the guitar.

There are guys like Phil Keaggy, Tommy Emmanuel, etc. that make the guitar interesting, because they are masters of the instrument, but most people that I see playing the guitar don't make it that interesting.

I got tired of my playing. I haven't progressed in several years as a guitarist, so the mandolin was/is a serious breath of fresh air. I seem to be able to pick out melodies will relative ease on the mandolin, but on the guitar it's like I'm stuck in this little box, and no matter what I do, I can't seem to get out of it. I can play pretty well, I suppose, but I'm just so tired of my own guitar voice. I'll still continue to use it for singing songs, but I've pretty much abandoned the idea of becoming an excellent guitarist.

I am interested in the Bouzouki, as well as the octave mandolin. These instruments just color music in such a unique way. I'm not too crazy about the banjo, just seems to tinny and lacks the sustain that I like to hear in stringed instruments. The cello is also fascinating to me.

I suppose all stringed instruments are unique and have their own place in this world. I do think that the guitar will remain king of the hill. They are availble in such massive quantities, at such little cost, and they have the sex appeal that the western world in particular seems to be in love with.

When I tell most people that I play the mandolin now, they most times ask what it is. Then when they see it, they laugh a little, because it's so small and "cute". They just don't seem to get taken all that serious. I don't really tell people that I play the guitar anymore though. It just seems lame to me, since almost everyone you meet is a guitarist as well.

Elliot Luber
Jan-22-2007, 8:42pm
My wife HATES the mando. She likes guitar, but not my playing. Oh well. She learned to love the Golden Retriever too. Not playing guitar and not playing mandolin does wonders for my sex life. The good thing is I work at home during the day a lot. I can start early and work late, and manage to play an hour or two while she's at work. It's even been really good for my career. I'm getting better ratings. These days I play mostly mando, but my sons are impressed with my guitar work so I've been picking that up a little too. Just found a guitarist to play with. Hoping to do some gigs soon.

Patrick Killeen
Jan-23-2007, 4:46am
Why not compare a VW bus to a Honda CBR 600? Different instruments, different vehicles. Both can obviously travel the same road, but how you do it is completely different. You decide whether the bus or the motorcycle is the mandolin in this analogy.

Love to all,
Ken
If you were buying yourself a new vehicle you might well make this comparison, you'd be asking yourself what is the bike good for, what is the bus good for and which one best matches what I need.

The discussion here so far has mostly been a comparison of the properties of the various instruments, which is useful to know in scenarios such as choosing your next instrument, deciding who to add to your band, and simply paying with other instruments.

Going back to your analogy, I think comparing a mando and a guitar is more like comparing two different types of car than comparing a bike and a bus. But either way the question is the same, what exactly are the consequences of their differences?

Patrick

Ken Sager
Jan-23-2007, 11:49am

Love to all,
Ken
If you were buying yourself a new vehicle you might well make this comparison, you'd be asking yourself what is the bike good for, what is the bus good for and which one best matches what I need. #

The discussion here so far has mostly been a comparison of the properties of the various instruments, which is useful to know in scenarios such as choosing your next instrument, deciding who to add to your band, and simply paying with other instruments.

Going back to your analogy, I think comparing a mando and a guitar is more like comparing two different types of car than comparing a bike and a bus. #But either way the question is the same, what exactly are the consequences of their differences?

Patrick
Patrick,

What question? I didn't see a question in the original post, or your other posts either.

My point: 2 wheels vs 4, sleeps 0 vs sleeps 4, seats 2 vs seats 6... They go down the same road, but differently.

4-string vs 6-string, 4ths (plus a third) vs 5ths, double course vs single course... They are more different than they are alike, yet they all play music. That's my point. They simply MUST be played differently to be played the SAME. Furthermore, there are things you can do on the guitar that you cannot do on a mandolin, and vice versa. That goes to the point of the original post. There was no question about consequences.

You decide whether the differences matter, and whether you prefer one over the other.

Ok?

Love to all,
Ken

ApK
Jan-23-2007, 12:31pm
What question? I didn't see a question in the original post, or your other posts either.
You don't? #It seems pretty clear that in a public dicussion thread called "Mando vs. Guitar" the question is implicitly "What do y'all think about mando vs. guitar?"

Most people who replied seemed to have something to say on the matter, without being dismissive or contemptuous of the question.

ApK

Ken Sager
Jan-23-2007, 2:31pm
You don't? #It seems pretty clear that in a public dicussion thread called "Mando vs. Guitar" the question is implicitly "What do y'all think about mando vs. guitar?"

Most people who replied seemed to have something to say on the matter, without being dismissive or contemptuous of the question.

ApK
Implied question? I guess I didn't see where the "consequences of their differences" were ever part of the "question."

Reread my statements. I was neither contemptuous, nor dismissive. I stated an opinion as did everyone else here, including yourself. I'll restate my response here in plain English:

Mandolins and guitars are obviously very different instruments that can be played similarly, but can't do all of the same things. Play whichever one makes you happiest.

If you find that contemptuous you're inferring more than was impied. If you find my comments dismissive then examine your motive for the nature of your reply.

I apologize if my comments offended anyone. No offense was intended.

Love to all,
Ken

Michael H Geimer
Jan-23-2007, 2:33pm
I have tried ... and failed ... to put guitar behind me.

It always seemed to me like everyone else played guitar. I kept trying t5o make a solid switch over to another instument ... piano, then mandolin, now banjo and dulicmer.

Trouble has been, nothing really supports a song quite the way a guitar does (piano does a nice job, but it's too heavy to carry around).

So, I finally gave up giving it up, and bought a guitar I can be happy playing for a long long time.

Secretly, I hope my wife keeps on learning stringed instruments so that someday she can cover those three guitar chords while I play mandolin!

ApK
Jan-23-2007, 6:55pm
so that someday she can cover those three guitar chords while I play mandolin!
Hmm...what's the third one?

JonT
Jan-23-2007, 7:48pm
Mando came late for me - it wasn't until a pal twisted my arm until I bought a Sammy Bush record a couple of years back that I caught the fever.

Unitl that happened, I was engrossed in guitar and banjo. Now there's one more instrument for me to obsess about.

They've all got their places, it seems to me, with each one's place determined by how I'm feeling, what tune is rattling around in my brain and what mood I happen to be in - what kind of sound I feel like coaxing out of these wonderful stringed contraptions.

I feel sometimes like I'd have been better off sticking to just one instrument I could play badly instead of three that I play badly, but mostly I wouldn't have wanted to miss the fun each of these instruments provides.

I'm going to Supergrass in a couple of weekends. I'll take a mando and a banjo. Hope to learn a little something, maybe, at the workshops.

Peace - Jon
Collings MT
Stellling Staghorn
Vega longneck
Bart Reiter Grand Concert
Martin 00-21
Martin HD-28
Santa Cruz 12-fret Dread

Patrick Killeen
Jan-24-2007, 4:58am
Hello Ken

I for one wasn't the least bit offended, getting back to your post.

[quote=Ken Sager,Jan. 23 2007, 19:31]
Mandolins and guitars are obviously very different instruments that can be played similarly, but can't do all of the same things. Play whichever one makes you happiest.

I agree with that statement, now I've got a question for you. #Which one makes you happier, and what is it about it that makes you personally favour it above the other? #

I really like my electric mando as a lead melody instrument, or to add flavour to guitar rhythm. #But it's is high pure sound just doesn't really work for me as a rhythm instrument. I normally use my bouzouki for that, which is much easier to sing over. #I've started learning guitar and I've found it harder to play than my bouzouki (you have to use at least three fingers for nearly all the chords) but once I've cracked that I think it will offer more options rhythmically than the bouzouki, (with the additional advantage that I'll be able to borrow a guitar if I need one at an open stage).

It's interesting to find out what other musicians see in their (and other's) instruments.

Bye for now

Patrick

farmerjones
Jan-24-2007, 10:53am
To me mandolin, guitar, fiddle, & banjer are all building blocks. i wish i had a bass too, but it would take up most of my broom closet/studio. Some folks are content to listen to a tune on the radio. i get a charge out of being able to play along. Then original stuff comes and i have to "build" it. #It's not your usual hobby but it keeps me out of trouble.

Ken Sager
Jan-25-2007, 9:17am
Well, Patrick, I've played guitar for 33 years. I've played mandolin for 9 years. I'm equally comfortable and happy playing either. In the morning when I'm first waking up I'll play guitar to find some new chords for the day to see what melodies want to come out of my head. I'll play the mandolin around 10:00, maybe 11:00, to coax those melodies with a little more distinction. Then I'll practice new tunes, scales, intervals, work on chord voicings, etc., for a couple hours. Then when I think I want to sing along I'll pick up the guitar for awhile.

So, when I'm creating something new I'll start with a guitar in my hands to simply start hearing a melody embedded in some nice chords. The mandolin often helps define a new melody, and allows me to stretch improvisationally (melodically) a little more.

When I want to play with others I'll play my mandolin because it's louder melodically than a guitar, and most folks who jam (or gig, for that matter) don't know how to turn themselves down enough to hear a guitar break (I prefer to hear myself over not hearing myself when I take a break).

How's that?

Patrick Killeen
Jan-25-2007, 10:54am
How's that?
That's interesting Ken, the way you use guitar reminds me of the way pianos are often used by classical composers.

By the way, I just found your website and I'm looking forward to listening to your MP3s on my way home tonight, the snippets I've listen to so far sound great.

Bye for now

Patrick

DameMags
Jan-25-2007, 10:58am
It always seemed to me like everyone else played guitar.

I chose mando over guitar in the first place because "everybody" plays guitar. Not that there's not some excellent guitar players out there - Chet Atkins, Mother Maybelle, Santana, Eddie Van Halen, Butch Krause & others - I just had to be a bit different. Fate happened to step in and put a playable mountain dulcimer in my hands first.

And in all honesty, being my first instrument ever (other than grade school intros) if I'd not had the MD experiences & skills to relate to the mando, I'd've gotten frustrated with my mando playing those first months to the point I'd've put her up & not played anything for years. That supersonic pickin you'd see of mando players on TV was always intimidating to me - figured I'd stick to chords. So what am I doing with my mando? Pickin. You'll have to go down the street if you want Sonic tho...:D

They've all got their places, it seems to me, with each one's place determined by how I'm feeling, what tune is rattling around in my brain and what mood I happen to be in - what kind of sound I feel like coaxing out of these wonderful stringed contraptions.

and for me, what I want to tweak. I found a recording at the library of Emmylou Harris, with Sam Bush, doing Lodi. Watching Nickel Creek cover Toxic was a scream! Butch Baldassari(mando) & David Schnaufer(MD) playing Devil's Dream in a "dueling banjo" style was inspirational. And having the MD's bagpipe-style drone effect for NaNaHeyHey Kiss Him Goodbye always makes me grin.

"but ya doesn't has to call me "Johnson""

mandolooter
Jan-25-2007, 11:15am
uuuh, Allen you made me get coffee on my keyboard...

(Although as yet I haven't found a niche for my charango; I just like looking at its ears.)
That literally had me rolling. A friend has a charango and I thought it had a cool sound and it did look nice on the wall, reminded me of when I lived in Texas.
Sometime soon Im going to get me a cheap classical guitar and start learning guitar here soon but I love my 5th tuned instruments, mando, mandola, tenor guitar and banjo.

Michael H Geimer
Jan-25-2007, 1:07pm
Fate happened to step in and put a playable mountain dulcimer in my hands ...

That's how it happened for me. For some inexplicable reason I searched Craigslist for "dulcimer" and there it was ... a beautiful spruce / cocobolo deep-bodied mountain dulcimer. It wasn't prohibitively expensive, so I emailed the gentleman up and arranged a purchase.

What I like most about the mountain dulcimer is how is fits in with my general playing style ... plain straightforward melody.

I think that's truly my goal for all instruments really ... just to be able to play simple songs and tunes using basic chords and melodies ... but to do so no matter if I'm behind a dulcimer, or a guitar, or a mandolin or banjo, or piano ... [whew] I've got ways to go, and I'd even like to add fiddle to that list someday.

Best part is ... the effort itself is the fun part. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

first string
Jan-25-2007, 2:24pm
I say play both. Or you could do what I'm in the process of doing, and get a tenor guitar and tune it GDAE. Sort of spits the difference, though I have a feeling that my mandolin will still get plenty of play after the tenor arives, while my cheap six string will languish for all eternity in some dusty closet.

mandolooter
Jan-25-2007, 2:41pm
first string....you may be surprised! I play my tenor guitar(s) all the time and some weeks even more than my mandolins. Of course I have a way easier time learning songs by ear on the tenor and then I can transfer them to the mando. YMMV

allenhopkins
Jan-25-2007, 5:37pm
Hey mandolooter --
Sorry about your keyboard (heh, heh)...I bought the charango from Bernunzio when he finally got tired of looking at its ears and let it go for a couple hundred. My two (grown) sons couldn't get over the fact that the body was made from an actual armadillo shell, and that it still had the ears attached. I can only hope the 'dillo was roadkill and not slaughtered for the sole purpose of creating a charango.

(And if this ain't a hijack, don't know what is...)

JeffD
Jan-26-2007, 1:59am
The mandolin was the only stringed instrument I was interested in playing.

first string
Jan-26-2007, 9:12am
Hi Mandolooter,

Well I certainly hope I enjoy my tenor as much as you do yours. Once again, I think it will come in second to the mando, but hopefully it will be a close second.

Cheers.