PDA

View Full Version : What mandolin for $500 - 600?

RB250
Jan-20-2007, 1:16pm
Hey guys (and gals),

I'm new to posting on this board but, like banjohangout, enjoy it tremendouly.

I'm relearning the mandolin again from years ago and want to spend $500 - 700 on a new one or used. I looked at the Michael Kelly Legacy plus and it sounded great for around $599. I see alot of posts about Eastman and Kentucky (Saga). I'll probably be in Lansing, MI in Feb and may look at them all at Elderly. Any advise. I play bluegrass banjo and want to get better at bluegrass & old timey mandolin. If Jim from Hogeye is reading this, I'll buy the the MS there if that's my choice.

Doug

DryBones
Jan-20-2007, 6:33pm
try the Eastman in the 500 series. go for the 505 A style to save some cash. Love mine more each day,that's why the 604 is up for sale. It's just not getting any play time. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Eric Selinger
Jan-20-2007, 7:06pm
What are the new Big Muddy mandos selling for? Jim might have one at Hogeye--I know he had at least one Mid-Mo mandolin there a couple of months ago. I love my M-4, and got it right in your price bracket. Maybe not the right instrument for the styles you want, though, come to think of it...

hungry mountain boy
Jan-22-2007, 6:20am
J. Bovier Shayne Bartley model

mandolins.net

Pen
Jan-22-2007, 3:09pm
Of all the mando's I've played at this price point - the Gibson A-40's (played a '58 I really liked) where, hands down, the best I've seen. #You may have to look around for one - but worth the effort. #I've seen them in the $600 - $800 range depending on condition.