PDA

View Full Version : Iv kit finished

tmill66
Jan-18-2007, 10:17pm
I have finally finished my unflamed IV kit. I learned a lot for the first one. The binding was the hardest part, had to start over 3 times. I think I can make many improvements on the next one. Thanks for all your help on the board- I did not have to ask any questions that were not already answered soemwhere.

tmill66
Jan-18-2007, 10:18pm
try another pic

tmill66
Jan-18-2007, 10:19pm
one more

jamie_t123
Jan-18-2007, 10:30pm
Looks great! How many hours? I was thinking of doing an A kit..what's your take on the on the IV??

tmill66
Jan-18-2007, 11:42pm
I got it right after thanksgiving and used the kitchen table. #It sounds better than it looks. #I was very pleased with the service from IV. #I know I can do much better on the next one so I'm thinking about a little better wood in a stewmac or siminoff.

DavidB
Jan-19-2007, 8:32am
I just ordered the same kit, I will be very pleased if my attempt is anywhere near this nice, especially if it sounds better than it looks, can you give the top and back thicknesses that you ended up with?

Mike D
Jan-19-2007, 10:46am
I just finished my A-style kit for which I cut an Oval hole. I ended up with a sort of distressed finish, with rubbed out brown over black dye and shellac over all. The finish is wrought with flaws, but oh well, it's mine and I built it. I'm still tweaking it, but the sound is really nice. Took me a couple of months of very part time work, mostly on the living room floor.
I'll take it to our monthly kitchen junket tomorrow so that the experienced players can have at it and give me feedback.
Anyway, my point of piggybacking onto this thread was to say thanks for the shear bulk of helpful information related to these kits. Hydrilla's blog, Improziz, Jonas' and many other thread which I scoured. Really fun project.
Mike

tmill66
Jan-20-2007, 10:42am
I did not measure the thicknesses ( no tools). The back was very rippled from the carving and by the time I finally got everything sanded smooth it fit together nicely. The biggest problem is that the neck angle must be a little too flat. When I strung it up, in order get the action down to a reasonable level I had to take all the adjustment out of the bridge and then go a little farther. I am down to a nickel at the 12 th fret but to go any farther I will have to take it off the bottom of the bridge.

buddyellis
Jan-20-2007, 11:27am
Neck angle is something you have to be aware of on these kits. They are kind of flat, and you have to be sure to add just a tad bit of an angle to it when you glue the neck in so as to get a better angle.

violin2233
Jan-20-2007, 5:37pm
Nice Job on the Kit.. Better woods for this kit are available and will be even better with the next run.