PDA

View Full Version : Nugget alert

Kirk Albrecht
Jan-17-2007, 8:01pm
If anyone is looking for a unique and killer looking Nugget, Gryphon has a Deluxe F-5 posted with amazing woods. It looks incredible, and probably worth the $28,000 they are asking for it!

Scott - any personal knowledge of this one?

mythicfish
Jan-17-2007, 10:54pm
"probably worth the $28,000 they are asking for it!"

And probably worth the $23K (my guess) that Gryphon paid for it.

Curt

Mike Buesseler
Jan-17-2007, 11:04pm
Not sure I get your point, Curt. Sounds like a very reasonable markup by Gryphon. Now, $23k and $28K are both out of my league, but not unreasonable for someone with the resources. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Glassweb
Jan-17-2007, 11:16pm
I'll say one thing... the stylized torch inlay in the headstock is a masterpiece of design... unique and gorgeous - almost worth the price of admission!

JAK
Jan-18-2007, 7:32pm
Interesting with Roman numeral position markers, and lacquer finish. And looks like blacktop? Anybody played it yet?

grandmainger
Jan-19-2007, 3:35am
Actually, it's not really a black top, it's very very dark brown. This mando is "The Roman Numerals Mandolin" as displayed on the Museum section of frets.com since 2003: www.frets.com/Museum/Mandolin/Nugget/roman.html (http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Museum/Mandolin/Nugget/roman.html)... It's GORGEOUS.

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-19-2007, 4:23am
That Nugget has got to be one of the ''classiest' instruments i've ever seen.A masterpiece of understatement,the peghead inlay looks to be very D'Angelico inspired - stunning !!.
If i had that sort of cash,i'd be sitting on Frank's doorstep right now - along with all the others.

kudzugypsy
Jan-19-2007, 6:31am
there is one for sale right now in nashville that is $6K cheaper - and i dont care one bit for those roman numeral fret markers...i dont get that one.

i do find it interesting they note that his waiting list is 300 long #- my older brother had Mike build him a mando in 1987 (blond F5 deluxe, absolutely flawless construction...it's MINE now..hehehe) and back then, outside of Boulder, he was fairly unknown - and even then it took 2.5 years to get one. it would take Mike 15+ years to even get close to the end of that list, if that is in fact people actually with a slot on his list and not just a *waiting* list. You do have to close your list at some point and i'm sure Mike reached that 4-5 years ago.

...oh yeah, i've said this before, but always like to put things in perspective - my brother paid a whopping $2200 for the Nugget in 1989 when it was finally completed...and that was with a heafty upcharge for the blond option and custom inlay...oh yeah, the case was included too :>
...but here is the kicker - at the same time a Kentucky KM-1500 would cost you $1600!!...wild.
so he got on Mikes list and i bought a KM-1500...i was like, man, i aint waitin no 2 years for a mandolin!! young and dumb and a know-it-all.
i still have the KM-1500, but i always remember that lesson. I get those 2 mandolins out now and then and think, man, i cant believe you could get sonic perfection to that degree for only $600 more....yes, those were the good ol' days! it will cost you $20K+ extra to play in that league now.

mythicfish
Jan-19-2007, 6:38am
With a 15 yr. wait list, I could order one and put it in my will.
BTW, how old is M.K.?

Curt

Tom Sanderson
Jan-19-2007, 1:30pm
It is not true that Mike has a waiting list of 300. He stoped taking orders about 10 years ago, and he is just about done with his waiting list.