PDA

View Full Version : fingering

jc2
May-04-2004, 2:51pm
This was discussed a while ago, but now I've got pictures. The cello fingering works real well on OM and may keep you from tendonitis on longer necks, too. It's basically one finger per fret with extensions up and down the fingerboard.
The important thing is how you extend. If you keep the space between fingers 1 & 2 you don't destroy your hands, it's the one space made to get big. So to get the first fret, your first finger moves back, while 2,3, and 4 stay put.
To reach the 6th fret you leave thumb and finger 1 in place and move 2,3, and 4 up a fret. It probably doesn't matter if you put them all down, but they will support each other.
Fingering in the higher positions works the same, and the only reason for naming them is so someone else will know what you are talking about when you say, for example, "3rd finger in fourth position" Also if you have this structure to work with it helps you remember how it was you did that last time, so you can do it again.
Ain't digital wunnerfull?

craigtoo
May-07-2004, 6:33pm
Great topic..

Was on typical "mando" or "fiddle" fingering for a while. Took a lesson with Roger Landes not to long ago and he suggested I switch over to cello fingering for the longer scale om (23 in).

I've never looked back. My fingers used to be sore after a few hours of practice, now, the pinky gets tired but the rest of the fingers are great! This is helping my mando playing too because it is really exercising the pinky.

The transition was much easier than I expected. I thought I would have to relearn all the tunes. But it really just took a few hours over about a week or so to really internalize this technique...a few scales and SLOW tunes...

This fingering requires more shifting too. Doing that right took a little time.

I like the approach of moving the 2nd and 3rd up with the 4th. Gonna try that when I get back home...

Overall...great move for me.

craig

mandolman
May-10-2004, 3:11am
If i understand well ( sorry my english is poor)

The extension up and back are the rules for this fingering http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif?

or you use the 1st position too ?

When i see on tab a 5, i must to play with my pinky today. But with this i just use my fourth finger ? Right or wrong ?

mandolman
May-11-2004, 2:06am
I try last night this fingering.
I think this fingering doesn't work with wide neck.
My Freshwater OM is too large. It works on the high strings A E but on the G & D i must use the pinky on the 5 th frets. Too much shift for me
So i try use the 2 fingering

1st finger cover 1-2-3
2nd Finger 3-4
3th finger cover 4-5( the A & E strings)
pinky cover 5( G & D strings)-6- 7 ( with shift)

Do you see any problem to use this fingerings ?

jc2
May-13-2004, 10:15am
Just to clarify: when you shift up moving 2,3, and 4 you don't have to push down on 2 and 3 unless you need their help to fret 4 clearly, but DO reach with all three.