PDA

View Full Version : A new John Lawless release (looks GOOD)

JDARTGOD
May-04-2004, 12:29pm
Lots of help from the "Acutab Family" on this new Copper Creek Release. It's sure to be a pleaser. Check out the Artists included and the audio clips!!

Five and Dime (http://www.5-and-dime.com/)

Flowerpot
May-04-2004, 12:53pm
Looks like a good one. Outside of the good mando content (Alan Bibey, Herschel), I'll have to get it just because some very good old friends and picking pals are on it. Good to see he got Tony Collins to play some guitar on it -- he's quite the monster player and very under-recorded.

acutab
May-06-2004, 9:39am
Hi guys - and thanks for the kind words about Five & Dime!

It was a real treat having both Herschel Sizemore and Alan Bibey on mandolin for this recording. #Hearing a legend like Herschel playing my tunes was a real mind-blower on several levels. #

Yes, Tony Collins may be the best unknown guitarist out there. His business and family obligations make it hard for him to be too involved with music, but there aren't many projects he couldn't improve just by showing up. #I hope a lot of folks will hear him through this new CD.

JDARTGOD
May-07-2004, 10:28am
Thanks for the post John. I must say you've really caught my attention in the last couple of years through my friend Tom Easley here in the Gulf Coast Area. Between the recent Kenny Smith DVD release and Five and Dime, you've hit the perfect stride for my musical taste. BTW, I talked to Ron Stewart recently and forwarded my congrats on what has become one of my favorite Bluegrass Instrumental Albums of all time, the Team Flathead CD. You guys sounded like you had a ball and I just wanted to say thanks. If that one's not an award winner, there is no such thing as an Award Winner. SUPERB JOB ALL AROUND!! Have a good one.

Jeff Dodson

acutab
May-07-2004, 1:12pm
Thanks Jeff!

Please give my best to Tom - a fine musician and a great guy.

I'm in the video studio today, where we did Kenny's DVD - and Team Flathead - working on the DVD authoring for the Alan Bibey video. It has only been available on VHS, a shortcoming which will soon be rectified.

Thanks also for the praise for Team Flathead. Yeah - we had a blast cutting that. I must say that I was more than a little bit intimidated tracking with those guys. Ron Stewart is a true inspiration to me, and having him produce me twice last year was like going to school.

John

acutab
May-07-2004, 1:56pm
Hey Flowerpot...

Did you see the nice feature on Tony Collins in the new issue of Flatpicking Guitar Magazine?

Flowerpot
May-07-2004, 2:53pm
No kidding? I didn't know that. Have to look up that magazine, sounds cool. I've learned a lot from picking with him, and miss the times I lived closer and could get together more often.

Say hi to Greg, Dewey, Warren, and Kelley for me, and Tony too if you run across him.

Mark Jones

acutab
May-08-2004, 7:55am
Hi Mark.

I'll see the Acoustic Endeavors gang tonight and will be sure to pass along a howdy from you.

JDARTGOD
May-30-2004, 8:50pm
Hey John. I pre-ordered your new CD recently. Does June 15th still look like a good shipping date? Thanks.

Jeff Dodson

acutab
May-31-2004, 7:40am
Hi Jeff.

Thanks for ordering the CD! #I am still hopeful that we can ship by mid-June, though Copper Creek is listing June 29 as the official release date. #Unfortunately, a lot of their time is being consumed in unpleasant legal wranglings with Del McCoury's management. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

John

JDARTGOD
May-31-2004, 9:12am
Thanks for the update. I'll keep an eye out for it.

JDARTGOD
Aug-02-2004, 11:03am
Looks like they're heading out this week, right John?? I can't remember which card I used for pre-ordering.....I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Anyway to check and make sure I am in the "Pre-order" mail shipment.

Jeff Dodson - Pensacola, FL

JDARTGOD
Aug-03-2004, 9:58pm
Well, I see which card has been debited!! I guess that means that baby is on the way!! I'll post a report after the weekend.

Come on guys and gals....live a little; pick this one up!!

acutab
Aug-05-2004, 9:13am
Hi Jeff.

Yes, the Five & Dime CD is finally being released. #The delays were quite frustrating, but as I have said on other fora, given the regular delays that ensue when I announce a new AcuTab release, I have no standing to criticize Copper Creek. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

We had a small number of CDs sent via overnight from the plant, and can fill most of the preorders from that shipment. #I expect that most will have been shipped by later today, though that depends on what else might divert Andy and I today from getting them out. #I can't imagine that the folks who ordered in advance (thank you all!!) won't have CDs in hand by the end of next week.

Thank you especially, Jeff, for advocating additional orders. #It was just over a year ago that we recorded Five & Dime, and I can't wait to see what the reaction will be.

The mandolin work on the CD is stellar, with both Herschel and Alan making precisely the sort of memorable contributions you would expect from such notable artists.

Details and audio samples online at: #http://www.5-and-dime.com

I'll look forward to seeing your comments once the CD hits the door.

John