PDA

View Full Version : Krishot

Cary Fagan
Jan-14-2007, 2:27pm
Can anyone tell me about Krishot mandolins. Sound, feel, fit and finish, neck.... I briefly met the builder in Prague and would like to know what people think of his mandos. Also, I haven't been able to find any decent pics of them except for headstocks. Thanks.

DPrager
Jan-14-2007, 11:52pm
I had an early (#47) Krishot for a number of years. It was made for a Czech player in 1991 who sold it to me when I was there in 2000. For me this was really nice mandolin. The mando had plenty of volume and was pretty good tonally. I eventually decided that I needed/wanted a neck with a slightly different shape. Nearly everyone that played it liked it.

jim_n_virginia
Jan-16-2007, 10:25am
One of my pickin buddies has two Krishot mandolins. First she bought an A style and liked it so much that she then bought an F style. She played both for a few years and recently ran into a great deal on a Gibson Wayne Benson model F-5 which she bought.

She will never sell her A style but she told me she was going to sell the F style but hasn't listed it anywhere yet so if you are interested or want pictures PM me and I will hook you up with her e-mail addy.

Now I have set across or next to her for many different jams (bluegrass, old time, Folk etc.)and I can tell you from first hand experience that they sound and look great (most Chech instruments for that matter do).

They really know there instrument making from many centuries of violin making. I think the story goes that someone once took a Loar over there and all some old violin makers studied it and shared the info with each other and and all turned out superb instruments as close as they could to Loar Specs.

I think they are a very good value for the money myself.

HoGo
Jan-16-2007, 10:37am
I own '96 Krishot F-5, #153 if I recall correctly. I played dozen or two of his mandolins (I live in EU) and they are generally very good tonally and workmanship very good to good (on older ones).
The necks are usually VERY thin compared to Gibson. I'd say on some mandolins they are near the structural minimum. Of the Czech mandolins I'd recommend Krishot and Holoubek as the two best makers out there.
The story about Loar in CZ is not true (maybe in the last decade there were a few Loars in hands of US pickers, but not when the builders started their careers). Most czech makers had to start building from photos on Monroe record covers.
My Krishot is BTW nowhere the Loar specs. Archings, f-holes, neck feel, grads are all quite different from Loars. Sounds great though...

GBG
Jan-16-2007, 11:57am
I own #269 (2002) and I can tell you that the workmanship is much better than "good". You can see pictures on the link to the Old Towne Pickin Parlor, or Byron Berline's website at www.doublestop.com.

jim_n_virginia
Jan-17-2007, 10:39am
I own #269 (2002) and I can tell you that the workmanship is much better than "good".

I agree most of those Chech builders had years of making violins under their belts before they ever saw a mandolin, F style anyways.

The two Krishots I have had in my hands the fit and finish was as good (and even better than some) as any American builder.