PDA

View Full Version : Mystery italian mandolin help!

sherwin3501
Jan-13-2007, 6:40pm
Hi, folks I found this group while trying to research an old mandolin I came across today. Its a highly decorated bowl back mandolin that is loaded with fancy inlays and metal from top to bottom. It does have a name tag inside the soundhole but I cant make out the full name. It says it was made in Napoli and has the name Luigi Sal??do. It also has the date 1897 inside. I have searched feverishly for info on this mandolin but have come up empty handed. I know its not a whole lot to go on but I am hoping someone recognizes the name. I dont physically have it in my hands at the moment but can add some pictures tomorrow (thats if htey take my offer) Anyone have any ideas? Cheers!!

sherwin3501
Jan-13-2007, 7:54pm
Well, I have it figured out! It is a Luigi Salsedo! The internet rocks! Cheers!

Jim Garber
Jan-13-2007, 10:40pm
Salsedo was a well-respected Italian maker. In fact, Bob A, who will likely post here has a Salsedo that, I believe, is one of his favorite mandolins to play.

Please do post some pics here, esp for us bowlheads. What condition is it in? Also be careful of replacing the old strings with very light gauge strings.

Jim
Member of the Loyal Order of the Bowl

sherwin3501
Jan-13-2007, 11:06pm
If I get it I will definitely post some pics. I will know tomorrow. It actually is in VERY good condition but does have one fault. The headstock was cracked at the neck (right where the headstock meets the neck). I am not sure of the exact story but do know it was repaired by a well respected luthier here in town. There was a note in the case from the luthier to call him if they ever decided to sell it.

I am not sure if the headstock had to be grafted on or if it was just a bad crack. Its now as solid as a rock and the repair was done properly but does anyone have an opinion on that type of particular damage?

I offered $300 for it but if that detracts a lot from its value I will just walk away. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. #Thanks

Jim Garber
Jan-14-2007, 9:53pm
As Bob A noted in that other thread you posted, the necks are joined and the necks usually have some sort of veneer to cover which could look like a funky repair. Then again, it could ba one, you just have to check and know.

Jim