PDA

View Full Version : What's a "tone gard" ?

steve V. johnson
May-04-2004, 10:44am
I really don't know, and haven't found a pic nor description on the web. I don't really know where to look...

Thanks,

stv

ira
May-04-2004, 10:48am
as i understand it, it is a kind of a web (at least in the pics) that attaches to the mando and keeps the back away from the body for better resonation. many big guns use it (i've seen the dawg has one in recent pics).

Jonathan James
May-04-2004, 11:03am
Exactly. It does seem to make a mandolin sound louder! At Merlefest this past weekend, both Mike Marshall and David Grisman were sporting Tone-Gards on their Loars. You can get them at: www.tone-gard.com No financial interest...

jj

Scotti Adams
May-04-2004, 11:18am
www.tone-gard.com

Rich Michaud
May-04-2004, 11:36am
I have 2 and am ordering a third tone gard. Tony is great to deal with. He makes them. I recommend a tone gard for every mando. They protect the instrument,make it sound better and costs very little relative to the instrument or repairing it from scratches that won't occur with a tone gard. Rich Michaud (no financial interest-just a very satisfied customer).

Ken Sager
May-04-2004, 1:13pm
I like to think of them not as making the mando sound better, but allowing the mando to sound its best.

They prevent your body, clothes, or other objects from dampening the back, thus allowing the back to vibrate freely producing more volume and tone. As mentioned, they also protect the back from buttons, etc.

Highly recommended, and Tony is very responsive. Best investment you can make except for the mando itself and a sturdy case.

Joy to all,
Ken

jiffyfeet
May-04-2004, 1:16pm
Best mando product ever.

Scotti Adams
May-04-2004, 1:19pm
ditto...and you can get 'em for guitars too..I bought one for my father and he put it on his '35 herringbone...man it was a cannon before...its a WMD now...My dad is the biggest skeptic there is...hes not skeptical about the Tone-Gard now...great product Tony...

PCypert
May-04-2004, 1:19pm
Definately worth the dough, though I have wondered if an armrest and the tone gard would be overkill?
Paul

mandorado
May-04-2004, 9:16pm
I have 3 tone-gards, and I think they are great. I've also used an armrest with one and it works/fits fine. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

steve V. johnson
May-05-2004, 1:09am
Thanks to all!

Now I know!

<GGG>

stv

nickdanger59
May-05-2004, 10:10am
They are the best . Tony also made me one for my Maciferri guitar which also resonates a lot on the back . I believe it was the first one . Would not go without it.

Mike McCoy
May-05-2004, 10:24am
The best addition I've ever added to an instrument. I have one for my mando and my guitar. Tony Pires is the inventor and maker of the ToneGard and is a great guy who's easy to work with.

levin4now
May-05-2004, 11:36am
How much space is there, generally, b/w the guard and the back of the mando? DOes it affect the fit of the mando into a case?

For example, my bridge leaves an indentation in teh foam of my case - I wouldn't want it any tighter.

Alan

SternART
May-05-2004, 6:28pm
My mandos fit in both Calton & Pegasus cases fine with the ToneGard.
They sometimes stick or stay in the case at first, but with use the
case adjusts & the instrument comes out with the Gard.
I have one on every insrument, I've yet to hear a manalin that didn't
benefit from having a ToneGard.

ronlane3
May-05-2004, 8:47pm
Great product, made my mando even better. Also, no problem keeping it in my Calton case, fits like a glove. there is about an inch or so gap.

Ken Sager
May-11-2004, 2:47pm
I have personal experience with a tone-gard on a mando in a Calton, TKL, and Modern Ambassador Case. No issues whatsoever.

Joy to all,
Ken

Mando Medic
May-13-2004, 7:13am
I agree that the ToneGard is the single most useful invention for mandolins.

addcourt
May-14-2004, 2:32pm
Received my two Tone Gards yesterday and installed one on my Apitius A last night. #I didn't think that mando could sound any better so I was amazed to hear the difference with the Tone Gard. It actuallly feels more comfortable as well. #My Sam Bush is enroute from a tune-up at Gibson and I'll be very anxious to try the other Tone Gard on it. #These are amazing devices!