PDA

View Full Version : My new bulldog f #5

bush-man
Jan-12-2007, 12:31am
I just recieved this beautifull mandolin from Barry of BullDog mandolins, and all I can say is Wow! Oh my gosh! I expected it to sound nice, but I wasn't prepared for it to sound so absolutely fantastic! I am just overwhelmed with the sound.

It arrived today via UPS and was very cold when I got it, so I opted to wait till it reached equilibrium with the inside temperatures before I brought it up to pitch. I put a pot of coffee on and stared at the UPS box, finally opening it up as the coffee brewed.

I took this time to inspect the instrument. It is simply gorgoeus. The top is red spruce, which is wide grained and done in a brownish tone. Triple white,black,white binding on both top and back. The back neck and sides are Oregon Myrtle. An unusual wood, with beautifull grain patterns. Then neck is V style, which I happen to love. No truss rod. Schaller tuners.

It has a few dings in it as it was a demonstrater model, but that only adds character for me. When I finally tuned it up, I was amazed. The tone just pours out of this mandolin. Open chords ring and sustain forever. Crystal clear bell like sound. Oh and chops bark out! It is just a tad on the treble side now, but as it gets played in I know it will get darker sounding.

Barry is one fine mandolin builder and I would highly reccomend one of his instruments if you are in the market. He is a great guy to deal with, and his mandos are an incredible value.

I don't have a digital camera, so I will have to borrow my sons to take some pictures of the instrument. You can see a few pics on Barry's website, but trust me they don't do any justice at all to the beauty of this mando. Here's the link:
http://www.bulldog-instruments.com/newbulldogmandolins.html

Time to stop typing and start breaking this incredible instrument in.

russell

Pete Braccio
Jan-12-2007, 1:58am
Hey Russell,

Welcome to the Bulldog club. I'm the owner of #1 and, like you, I can constantly amazed by the sound this mando can produce.

Pete

bush-man
Jan-21-2007, 2:32am
Okay, I have had some time to spend with this mando, and I just have to say again, that the tone is amazing! It is probably the best sounding mandolin that I have had the chance to play. What is really amazing to me is how light this mando is, as in weight. I am used to much heavier mandos. My brain has trouble getting around how loud and tonefull this is, weighing in at such a light weight. I am having tons of fun just playing open chords, which ring out and sustain like a church organ. I find myself altering my playing style to favor thiese open chords, as I am usually a closed, chop, chord player, but the natural reverb just sucks me in. hehehe Really this is an amazing instrument and I am so happy to have it.

No pics yet, as I haven't gotten the camera from my son. I will post when I get his camera. Really it's all about the sound, and this mando has an absolutely incredible sound. I am one happy fellow.

russell

Antlurz
Jan-21-2007, 4:20am
Russell....

If you talk to Barry, you might suggest to him that he has WAY too many photos on a single webpage. It needs broken down into several pages with only a few pictures per page.

As it is, it would take a dial up user about an hour and a half to load that one page. I gave up after about five minutes and there were 6 or 8 pictures trying to load at once, and none of them had reached half way when I left.

Bummer.

I'd really like to see his stuff! Sounds like you are more than happy with yours!!

Ron