PDA

View Full Version : My weber...

muzicmaken
Jan-08-2007, 1:21pm
I have to say that I bought a Weber Gallatin (prototype 1997 model) from the classifieds on this board and I must say I love this instrument.

I was a bit discouraged when I called a reputable store owner (one that is linked to on this board) here in Ohio, to ask them about information on this type of mandolin, when they told me that it was "stupid" for anyone to make a mandolin in mahogany and should only be maple....I was a little discouraged after he had told me this thinking maybe I made the wrong buy "Again"...But when I recieved it a few days later....WOW.....the warmth!!!

Well let me tell ya everyone who plays this "mahogany" Gallatin loves it. My buddy who bought an Eastman 815 won't even play his when mine is around or when we play out he tells me to bring mine...And another buddy plays his Gibson loves it.

I've been searching for over a year to find the right mandolin I can get and not upgrade again. I'm not real good at playing the mandolin but I've been picking it up very quickly.

But anyway thanks for letting me rant a little...I was really discouraged by the store owner all I needed was a little information...I've had the mandolin for a few months now it sounds great live and also recorded....The person I bought the mandolin from here on the boards was great to work with and was a very good buying experince from the Mandolin Cafe Classifieds...

Michael H Geimer
Jan-08-2007, 2:16pm
It took a long, long time for the guitar world to accept that Mahogany is (much) more than a lower-grade, cheap substitute for Rosewood. Once all those D-18's got a bit older, folks wised up about how good it can sound.

Maple is the Staple for mandolin B/S, but it is not the only solution.

muzicmaken
Jan-08-2007, 7:02pm
I love the mahogany...I have a Martin D15 and it is great..I love it just as much as my Breedlove and Taylor...

But the mandolin it is wonderful, I used it in a recording session last month and it was just wow'd by it...

Larry S Sherman
Jan-08-2007, 8:14pm
I played a Gallatin for a few years and loved it...it even smelled really great. I eventually sold it to finance my Draleon Royale.

My Wife still prefers it to any of my other instruments, mostly due to the natural look.

Weber makes great mandos.

Larry

The Mandolin Store
Jan-08-2007, 8:48pm
I remember this instance. #I told the person it was a good buy and how much I could get for it in the shop. #They then asked me more questions and I shared my personal opinion about mahogany mandolins. #There was a time that mahogany was significantly less expensive than maple. #With the price increases in mahogany, it's not much less than maple these days. #I play bluegrass as do the largest portion of our customers. #I don't know anyone who would not agree that maple offers better tone for this style of music. #I always do my best to answer quesitons for folks and I am certainly entitled to my opinion. #I did not mean to offend anyone (if I did please accpet my apologies). #I would not bash Weber mandolins.............we love those guys and are proud to be their largest dealer.
Thanks
Dennis

Kevin Briggs
Jan-08-2007, 8:54pm
Dennis,

Everyone knows The Mandolin Store is a great store. You don't need to explain your committment to Weber. They also say great stuff about you.

On another note, how much do you sell standard Weber Fern's for? You can PM me if ya like. I might be in the market.

Joe Dodson
Jan-08-2007, 8:58pm
I've never picked one, but I'm a huge fan of natural woody sound of Martin's 15 series, not to mention the simple understated look of them. That Webber's got a lot of the same charm. Must agree the 15s are not great guitars for bluegrass, but they sound great solo and in a small jam picking old timey stuff.

Wish I knew a place to try one of these in Houston. You've given me a touch of MAS.

Kevin Briggs
Jan-08-2007, 9:11pm
Ther must be a Weber dealer somewhere around there. What about good old FotW? They must be a few hours north of you. If you don't know the acronym, don't ask....

muzicmaken
Jan-08-2007, 9:16pm
Denis no harm...

I just thought maybe I'd made a mistake in buying it...I didn't take it as you bashing Weber just that you didn't approve of the wood choice.....Anyway You guys are still great my buddy came up there and bought his Eastman from ya and as soon as we can get the chance we'll be heading back up there to see ya for some other stuff:)

JoeD I agree with ya to some extent but the D15 can hang in there with them Grassers, Mine has about 5-6 yrs age on it so the tone is incredible..not saying that it is as good as a D28 but it can hang in there http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif But it's true it's all in personal taste...

The more I go watch some of these great mando players liek Sam Bush and Adam Steffy and David Grisim and so on the more I love it.....

Joe Dodson
Jan-08-2007, 9:19pm
Thanks Kevin. I think those fine folks are in NM. It's probably better that way. For reasons of domestic tranquility I'm better off not trying one out at least until a rich uncle dies.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Bill Snyder
Jan-08-2007, 10:49pm
Looks like Strait Music in Austin would be the closest Weber dealer to Houston. Just for a look.

Blueglass
Jan-09-2007, 11:43am
mahogany mandolins are the future. I've often felt that way. my weber is four and sounds better than ever. also i haven't enough evidence yet but my current theory is maple feedbacks more when plugged in via a pickup. but the expermints are still going on.

Mandomax
Jan-09-2007, 11:50am
I agree with Dennis 100%. I bought a mahogany Weber Gallatin three years ago. I took it to a festival and was dismayed at how it just got ate up in every jam. Thankfully, I bought it from Musician's Friend and they gave me 45 day approval. Needless to say, I sent it back. If you're playing solo or in duets, maybe it'll float your boat, but for bluegrass, it didn't cut the mustard for me. IMHO, no offense meant, glad original poster enjoys his purchase.

Tim
Jan-09-2007, 12:25pm
What do dealers know? #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif #I was told by one dealer that no one makes a mahogany mandolin and he had a Weber Gallatin on the wall behind him when he said it.

Elliot Luber
Jan-09-2007, 12:32pm
When I was looking to buy my first mando, I listened to the samples of FOTW. I know web sounds are influence by things such as microphone placement, but the mohagany Mid Missouri M11 stood out for its tone. I ended up buying an Eastman from Dennis, but there could be a Mid-Mo M11 or a Big Muddy in my future.

Michael H Geimer
Jan-09-2007, 12:58pm
There are a couple of comments in this thread about the Martin 15-series; I'm a proud owner of a 000-15s. I also own an all-mahogany flat-top (Mid-mo M-11). But I hear big differences between spruce over mahogany, and all mahogany.

This thread started off about mahogany as a wood for the Back and Sides, but I'd love to someday hear an archtop, f-holed solid mahogany mandolin (top and all).

- Benig

Celtic Saguaro
Jan-09-2007, 1:54pm
Some people just can't get past tradition. I added a mahogany mando to my stable last year and really like it.

MandoSquirrel
Jan-09-2007, 7:20pm
Thing about tradition, folks think the Gibson or arch top tradition is maple back & sides,when most of the early production(I believe all but the tops of the lines) used Birch or Walnut!

trevor
Jan-12-2007, 4:52am
I've had a few mandolins in mahogany and loved them all. A few years back I had Bill Bussman (Old Wave) make me the same A4 in mahogany, maple, walnut and rosewood. They came two at a time so I couldn't do a full comparison because the first two sold before the second two came in, but the mahogany sold quick enough.

Bill is doing the same again for me. He emailed pictures of the tops, all from the same tree, recently. I will try to post the photo later. Should be ready this fall.

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-12-2007, 7:13am
Just to put my 10p (pence) worth in. I recently bought a Weber "Fern" from Trevor at TAMCO & i have to say that it's a wonderful piece of craftsmanship. Beautifully made & a sound quality that is just plainly stunning.STE are certainly making some wonderful instruments,
Saska

blacksmith
Jan-12-2007, 9:47am
Larrydata mentioned an aroma from his Weber. The Weber case for my Absaroka (love it, love it) has a strong aroma of vanilla, now permeating the mandolin. Rather pleasant actually. Anyone else have this experience?

Larry S Sherman
Jan-12-2007, 10:35am
Larrydata mentioned an aroma from his Weber. The Weber case for my Absaroka (love it, love it) has a strong aroma of vanilla, now permeating the mandolin. Rather pleasant actually. Anyone else have this experience?
Everytime I played it and before I put it away I gave it a sniff...great wood smell-I agree about the vanilla similarity.

My other mandos don't really have much of a scent.

Larry

trevor
Jan-12-2007, 11:14am
I am going to sniff some cases tomorrow.. hope it isn't addictive..

DeamhanFola
Jan-12-2007, 7:24pm
I definitely noticed the pleasant vanilla smell when I first opened the case of my new custom Bridger. It's faded somewhat now.

JeffD
Jan-12-2007, 9:34pm
I can see it now, people asking music shoppies to take down a mandolin so they can sniff it.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Joe Dodson
Jan-13-2007, 2:01am
I'm not ashamed to admit I sniff my D15 and OOO15S. Mmmmmmm... Mahogany.

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-14-2007, 2:43am
OK Trevor,now we all know what you get up to after closing hours !!, I promise not to tell more than a 100 people.(Must have a quick sniff at the Fern later.)Oh Lord ! now my secret's out too.........

steve in tampa
Jan-14-2007, 5:53am
I had a Bitterroot (mahogony) built with a cedar top. It had a rich woody tone and tons of volume. My Weber Fern is a backup to it.

Another nice feature of the mahogony Webers is that you don't need to "speed neck" them.

Repent34
Jan-15-2007, 5:36pm
My first and only real mando is a custom Weber Gallatin, all quilted maple. Bought it from the classifieds unheard. Heck, I wouldn't have known good from bad then. Still learning what sound I like.

This baby has all the extras and is the only one like it made, according to Weber. Makes it that much sweeter.

Here's some pics...

Repent34
Jan-15-2007, 5:38pm
I also had Weber make me this abalone cross for the TRC. Looks really good I think.

Kevin Briggs
Jan-15-2007, 5:53pm
Nice quilted maple. Really fabulouso!

I also had t hem build me acustom truss rod cover. It is perfect.

dr.jazz
Jan-15-2007, 7:27pm
In the early days (10 years ago) in my music store, I convinced my then partner to order in a good quality mando. We ordered a Hyalite. I watched the Hyalite pass through about 4 sets of hands as it continued to open up. The thing is now a monster. The current owner also owns a vintage Givens ad the Weber can easily hold it's head up. Mahogany seems to age a little differently from Maple. It's truly a great mandolin and should not be written off because does not conform to "the standard".