PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom acoustics

MANDOLINMYSTER
Jan-31-2004, 12:54pm
Well we all know that the acoustics in the bathroom are great!(if you don't sorry).But how many of you have found yourself playing mando in there? I often practice and some of my best original works take place in the "studio" as I call it.Now I'm not always multi tasking, but the mando sometimes replaces the newpaper.So come on fess up, does anyone else "jam in the john"! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

mandoJeremy
Jan-31-2004, 12:58pm
I must admit that I have for years and still do! The acoustics are great!

Scotti Adams
Jan-31-2004, 1:00pm
..yea and I like to look at myself in the mirror too....helps with form http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

JPB
Jan-31-2004, 2:53pm
Indeed. Can't let my girlfriend know about that though. I'm not even allowed to read in the bathroom

John Flynn
Jan-31-2004, 4:20pm
Guilty http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Skip Kelley
Jan-31-2004, 4:24pm
It's my favorite place to practice!!
I also have been guilty of this for years.

Potosimando
Jan-31-2004, 4:36pm
I've actually jammed with as many as four people in my bathroom--no one using the facilities, of course (mixed gender and all); actually the time we had four in there included an audience of one...on the floor with her feet up on the side of the shower.

Bathroom is particulary good for fiddle/violin because of the mirror factor mentioned above.

bratsche
Jan-31-2004, 4:37pm
I prefer the garage - more spacious, acoustics just as good.

bratsche

bratsche
Jan-31-2004, 4:40pm
Four people and their instruments, in a john? Sounds too much like the old VW beetle/phonebooth overcrowding thing to me...

bratsche http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Dan Adams
Jan-31-2004, 5:02pm
The bathroom is good and the mirror for checking technique is the benefit. I actually like the acoustics in the stairwell (split level) a lot better than the bathroom. My small insulated office/music room is also great for acoustics. The stairwell is still my favorite though!

Clop and Chop, Dan

MANDOLINMYSTER
Jan-31-2004, 5:13pm
Yea...I almost forgot about the stairwell, its a natural amplifier. My garage however is to cold this time of year , and in the summer its to hot, besides it smells like "gas", the garage that is# http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

NickelCreeker
Jan-31-2004, 5:26pm
My sister plays guitar on the pot! But if she found out im telling anyone she'd either kill me, or my Weber. and We cant have that now can we!

I like to play in Foyers. Nice Echo-ish kinda sound. Dont need speakers! Sounds pretty cool....*thumbs up*

Dan Adams
Jan-31-2004, 5:32pm
Ever play in a bandshell? What a kick? Talk about acoustics right back at ya!! There is a great 'sweetspot' in each shell, that really carries the sound out, and back. No amplification, and the sound transmits out into the audience space. Old technology that still works!!

Can you hear me now? Dan

fmspinc
Jan-31-2004, 6:24pm
I play in my truck cab lots - small space, well sealed - great sound.

Jim Roberts
Jan-31-2004, 7:24pm
I usually reserve my bathroom for taking a leak and a dump. The rest of our limestone house has oak flooring and the acoustics are great in nearly every room.

Jim Roberts
Jan-31-2004, 7:26pm
I usually reserve our bathrooms for taking a leak and/or a dump. #The rest of our limestone house has oak flooring and the acoustics are great in nearly every room.

peterbc
Jan-31-2004, 8:01pm
My kitchen works well. Thats the only nice thing about it's small size... But it sounds good and gets good amplification. My bathrooms a little bit too small though...

doanepoole
Jan-31-2004, 9:14pm
Guilty.

I have a couple rooms in my house with good acoustics, but I admit that the bano is probabltmy favorite place to play.

Never played on the can...though sometimes I can't tell the difference between what comes out...I better stop.

Loren Bailey
Jan-31-2004, 10:46pm
Every night my kids bathe (ages 2 and 6) and I play for them while they do. Harmonics are great. We've composed a new song in the Key of G called "wash your hair".

BBarton
Feb-01-2004, 8:43am
Kitchens are great too -- lots of enamel on the appliances and usually a tile floor for the sound to bounce off. Besides, it's a better place for parties than the bathroom and the fridge is close by for the beer!

MadMandoingMax
Feb-01-2004, 6:15pm
Try the all glass shower. Man I jam in there with all my buddies!

Harrmob
Feb-02-2004, 10:31pm
I have had the luxury of playing solo in a racquetball court on several occasions, talk about natural reverb!

stanley
Feb-02-2004, 11:53pm
Quilty. Although my preference is in our laundry room...tile with a big patio door and lots of room to sway...

mando bandage
Feb-03-2004, 1:55am
Back stairs: nice and snug, no carpet and the angled ceiling sends it right back at you.

R

thepipersson
Feb-03-2004, 1:59am
I agree that the bathroom is a truly wonderful performance space, I play my mando there often...but you haven't lived until youv'e played bagpipes in a racquetball court. ASTOUNDING!

Harrmob
Feb-03-2004, 5:50am
While we are on the subject of "doing other things" while practicing, has anyone tried walking on a treadmill while hammering away at St. Annes Reel or Devil's Dream? I am thinking of getting a treadmill, and if I walk as much as I play, just think how fit I would be....

BenE
Feb-03-2004, 6:02am
If you practice in the bathroom do you practice standing or sitting? Do you feel like less of a man when sitting while playing in the bathroom?
There is almost a joke in this one....Sort of like.....If your American when your out of the bathroom what are you in the bathroom......European!

This thread reminds me of a episode of America's Funniest Home Videos....
Scene: You hear singing and a guitar being played and the guy with the camera moves down the hall and opens a door to the bathroom and there is a guy sitting on the toilet singing and playing his guitar. The singer sees the camera and freaks out. It was a pretty funny video...anybody else see it?

Russ(String-Alley)
Feb-05-2004, 10:03am
our outfit plays a lot of noisy Bars and clubs round our neck of the woods....when you need to tune up you usally have to go into the bathroom. We also have worked out last minute arrangements in there too, always sounds better in there.
We actually call the Bathroom the "green room" since the next place we go from there is the stage or corner where we are playing.
cheers all