PDA

View Full Version : Eastman or something older

mdlorenz
Jan-07-2007, 1:36pm
Trying to figure out if the radiused fingerboard of an eastman will help playability a ton. I did enjoy one (albeit on a collings) when I played it. I would be sacrificing tone for playability... most definately with a new instrument compared to a 20 year old one... but would playability make up for that, & then the tone would come around in a couple years w/ consistant playing/opening up. Compared to say an older A style gibson (in the $1000 price range), Flatirons, etc...

Think I be happier w/ an eastman that played good, rather then an older instrument? I wish I had shop up here, but there ain't nothing in northern VT.

cooper4205
Jan-07-2007, 1:44pm
the eastman 515 i have is a good sounding mandolin, but it really doesn't stand up to my flatiron in terms of tone or volume or playability. that being said, i got the eastman so i wouldn't play my flatiron all the time (it is 20 years old), and i wanted a mandolin that wouldn't be a big step down in workmanship or sound, and for the $600 i payed for it used i think it accomplishes that. if all you can afford is an eastman, i say go for it. they make good mandolins for what they are and what they cost, but if you don't need a scroll and have $1000 to spend, find an old flatiron A5 (or used gibson A9) that you like and get it. you won't regret it at all, IMO.

also, the flatiron i have is about the best playing mandolin i have picked up, i think who set it up and how they did it has more to do with the playability (as long as there are no issues with the fretboard or neck)

DryBones
Jan-07-2007, 4:05pm
my Eastman 505 A style is really sounding good these days (about 6 months old). almost sounds like a real mandolin! (probably would if I knew how to play it) http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

acousticphd
Jan-07-2007, 4:09pm
I really prefer a radiused FB and think it does improve playability - but it isn't the only factor. I would take into consideration FB radius/flatness, width, and neck profile. For example, I think the Eastman neck width on the f-hole models is so narrow that it hinders playability a little, for me. There are some other very good-sounding newer mandos being made with radiused FBs, such as Ratcliffs, that I don't think would be a compromise on tone.