PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin community

tryinghard
Jan-03-2007, 5:26pm
When I first purchased my mandolyn , I had some vague idea about what I was going to do with it. I'd wanted to take up something musical and enhance my life with it. I figured at some point I'd play with some people..so there was an element of being social. As an artist I spend days and days and weeks where I do not see people or have anyone come over. It is a solitary past time. So that an instrument seemed like a good idea to be more social..

Goodneth Gwacious! I wasn't prepared for this. There's a veritable cornicopia of information, and people, and things to do all connected to this sweet little instrument.

I just happened on this site over Christmas and have had such a major boost in my learning curve. There is more than enough for me to really digest . I had no idea that the decision to play the mandolyn could open up a whole new world. Wonderful.

bush-man
Jan-03-2007, 6:17pm
Welcome to our obsession. Pray you don't get MAS, unless you have a huge bank account. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif Lots of helpful friendly people here, we keep the others caged up.

russell

Chadmills
Jan-03-2007, 6:19pm
I'd agree, this site in particular is an amazing resource, and a lot of fun, in addition to all the real world stuff that is reflected here.
Tom

jim_n_virginia
Jan-03-2007, 7:16pm
I've been on here for like 4 years now. I have mando friends all over the country now because of this site. I cannot go to a concert, workshop, festival or jam without meeting several Cafe members. It pretty amazing and cool at the same time.

I have met quite a few friends with my little mandolin, much more than I ever did with a guitar. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Nathan Kellstadt
Jan-03-2007, 9:03pm
I think this website, and the forum in particular, are one of a kind. I've been to a variety of other forums(clarinets, oboes, flutes, guitars, etc.) and none can compare. This site is a blessing. I'm weary of stereotypes, but I can't help but feel that mandolin players are a nicer breed of musician after coming here for the past 8 months. There may be some bickering here on occasion, but compared to other forums, the shear quantity of kind and helpful people here is overwhelming at times. I think what Scott has created here is fantastic and wander how much of my initial enthusiasm for the mandolin was perpetuated by the 'cafe. I simply can't say enough good things about this place and all of the wonderful folks who are part of this forum, it's a true "virtual community".

Caleb
Jan-03-2007, 11:44pm
I've been on many boards in the last 5 years, but this is the best one I've come across. The knowledge here is simply unreal. Ask a question and in most cases someone has chimmed in very shortly with some great input.

I also agree that mando players tend to have their heads firmly screwed on better than some other musicians. Some guitar forums are more like an all-out brawl, but this places seems to have real class.

I'm glad I found this place.

JeffD
Jan-03-2007, 11:59pm
this places seems to have real class.
AMEN and Amen.

SternART
Jan-04-2007, 1:42am
Sooo tryinghard.....what kind of art are you creating?
I've been a professional artist for 28 years, half my
life...and you?

www.arthurstern.com

tryinghard
Jan-04-2007, 10:11am
Yes, classy would seem to be the word. Who'd a thunk it when I first thought. "Say, a mandolyn, that's the ticket" I'd purchased it about two years before I started playing it because I couldn't find a teacher. finally, seeing it sit there collecting dust made me feel very sad because an instrument is meant to be played, and then, voila, the teacher appeared.

I'm so very happy to have found this site, and "obsession" is a word I've used with regards to my new learning curve.

SternART, I do oils on canvas. At present almost high realism of animals. I've supported myself over the years with my art in a variaty of mediums, jewellry making, sign painting, computer stuff. I'm privilaged these days to have a lot of time to devote to my own work now and have gotten back into exhibiting which I just didn't have time for before. I've also found that the mandolyn relieves the feeling of being at loose ends when I'm thinking a painting through and it sure beats wandering around the house washing dishes ,sweeping the floors.

This is such a nice spot to drop in on, I've learned so very much in such a short time and it keeps me inspired. Thanks to everyone, it's a friendly place.

Jim Broyles
Jan-04-2007, 10:21am
Just curious, th, why the "y" in mandolin?

tryinghard
Jan-04-2007, 12:19pm
You know I just noticed that the other day...dunno, maybe it's a canadian thing....You know how we spell grey instead of the US gray....or maybe I just don't spell very well, but I've always spelled it that way. It was only after seeing it over and over for a while with "i" that I thought, say...perhaps I'm spelling it wrong...what can I say? Gosh what a quandry... cause now I'm used to how it looks....and I kinda like it....

Jim Broyles
Jan-04-2007, 12:36pm
Looks like a girl's name that way instead of the name of a musical instrument! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif
Is it a violyn, too?

danb
Jan-04-2007, 12:38pm
/can't stand mispellings, edited the thread title http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Scott Tichenor
Jan-04-2007, 1:10pm
/can't stand mispellings, edited the thread title http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
Man, I KNEW there was a reason I pay you the big bucks to keep that server humming.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Jim Garber
Jan-04-2007, 1:54pm
Funny! that was driving me crazy, too, but i did not want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Jim

tryinghard
Jan-04-2007, 3:03pm
Mandolin with an "i" it is then. Just filled out form on the Mandolin Camp North Workshop. Anyone been to that? I travel to east coast canada and it's sort of enroute so decided I'd take it in.. That's what I mean about this site, truly magic.

Tom C
Jan-04-2007, 3:50pm
Soon you'll know everybody who plays mando within a 50 miles radius, then 100, then 200 ...etc

Tina MBee
Jan-04-2007, 4:01pm
Hey tryinghard, my music teacher turned me onto this site. I at 40+ thought I could learn to play the mandolin - don't know what I was thinking but I'm having a blast! If you have a question this is the place to get an answer. Don't know what kind of music you like but if you're into buying CD's Dan Beimborn's Torch and Fire is smokin'(saw he had posted on your thread). I like celtic, bluegrass, classical - if it involves the mando http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif # My cats name is johnduffey - he was a great mando player. I met a guy in a music store in PA that posts on this list. The web truly makes it a small world. Hope to run into others during the upcoming bluegrass festival season. Happy pickin' from 'ol Virginny!

tryinghard
Jan-04-2007, 4:51pm
I at 40+ thought I could learn to play the mandolin -

Well I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one starting at a more "mature" section of life...although I got ten plus more years on ya....always wondered what I'd be doing when I grew up! A friend of mine put it well when she said "listen, someday you'll be eighty and you'll be playing mandolin for over twenty years and you'll be really good...or someday you'll still be eighty and won't have started anything" I'm certainly enjoying it thus far . I have a little bit of musical background, can read music and that sort of thing but my brain feels like stuff that's been stored in an old attic, I can find things but I wonder if all the pieces are still there.

I've also really enjoyed the lessons on Moose. When I just want to go over stuff without thinking about what to practice, I go there.

Virginny eh? Well howdy from up north of you in Quebec Canada.

otterly2k
Jan-04-2007, 5:07pm
tryinghard- playing mando will help clear the cobwebs out of that attic.
Good on ya for taking the initiative... you too TinaBee.
KE

dj coffey
Jan-04-2007, 8:26pm
I need to pitch in...I found this site when deciding which first mandolin to purchase and have been back every day since - it's been a year now. #I was helping a friend get going with the guitar and was looking for a similar site. #To my knowledge it doesn't exist. #Between this and thesession.org, it's the best site I've seen for this kind of music making community.

It's a tremendous and valuable service. #I own a Mandolin Cafe t-shirt and mug and would happily buy more tchochke's to support this site!

Phil Goodson
Jan-04-2007, 11:12pm
I at 40+ thought I could learn to play the mandolin -
Yep, 50+ yrs here, too. I just started the mando 6 months ago. I agree, it is great fun. Maybe someday, I will feel comfortable playing something in public, but for now, a few chops as rhythm is about all I do outside my home.

Phil

Caleb
Jan-05-2007, 12:54am
I'm starting mandolin at 32 and actually think that its probably the best point in my life to do so. I lacked focus when I was younger, but now I know what I want and what my musical goals are, so I couldn't be happier how things are working out in my life, as far as music goes. I am a decent guitar player, but am honestly burned out on guitar and all-things guitar. I feel like I've gotten as good as I'll get and there are just too many guitarists in this world.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sleepy.gif

bgjunkie
Jan-05-2007, 12:00pm
I'm with you Slacker. I've owned/played guitar for 20 years and just never seemed to get past a certain point. After (at 32) meeting a 16 year old that not only played better than me, but was writing some amazing stuff, I pretty much gave up on guitar. I found the cafe and finally picked up my Epiphone A and started working on A Place in the Heart. It has been a great ride ever since. I sold my electric guitars to buy my F-9.

The funny thing is that I never had much confidence as a guitar player, but I will play mandolin for anyone that will listen. I have a long way to go, but as long as there is a community like the cafe, I know I will get there someday.

tryinghard
Jan-05-2007, 2:53pm
Slacker, one of the reasons I decided on the mandolin is that there were just way too many people playing guitar. Seemed like everyone played guitar...the mandolin also looked so pretty....and up till now...I didn't think that many people played it...wow ...was i wrong!!

Philphool..As far as age ....or, as I prefer....mature years....goes, it is a definate truism that your're only as old/young as you feel....the stiff joints are still not part of my plan though, that just seems wrong somehow.

I'm looking forward to the workshop in Groton as a step off point to playing with others. I play with friend who plays piano, but thats infrequently. I'm not ready to get up on stage, but I'm not shy about playing with people if they know that I'm really a beginner and are willing to be patient. If they are cool with that, then great. If not, then I'll sit it out and relax and listen quite happily as the audiance.

Learning something new has been great. Even if I don't play well...I still play better than I did when I started. It's been encouraging to see the progresss, even if at times it seems painfully slow.

Speaking of painfully slow...callouses. Mine seem to build up, flake off, get sore again...how long before my finger tips don't feel so tender all the time!? It's been nearly a year now and I play probably about an hour a day...I'd play longer sometime, but it hurts....does that sound too whiney?

Tom C
Jan-05-2007, 2:58pm
I started at 35. 43 now. 3 years ago I taught a 10 year old 3 chords GCD at Grey Fox. I see them every year. Now he almost plays better than me.