PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on purchase

ccolias
Jan-31-2004, 10:45am
I'm looking for some cheap advice on what to buy. I'm an intermediate and have been playing for a few years but still play a Korean-made beginner model. I mostly play old-time, bluegrass and a little bit of Irish stuff.

I'd like to drop $1000-$1500 on a new instrument and will definitely consider buying used. Any advice? Thanks!

peterleyenaar
Jan-31-2004, 11:02am
A Weber Absoroka is in that price range and is a real nice mandolin,
btw, this is not cheap advise, it cost me a fair bit of money, buying and selling mandolins,also known as M.A.S.:-)

4stringmania
Jan-31-2004, 10:50pm
I love my Rigel A+ Deluxe, which you should be able to find for under $1500 used. There's also a Rigel A Natural that's cheaper but I've never played one. I often hang out at Gryphon's in Palo Alto and try some different mandolins. The low end Breedlove's are in your price range and sound and look terrific. They also have a Lebeda A style in that price range that's a marvelous instrument.

Greenmando
Jan-31-2004, 11:14pm
I love my Flatiron F5 and my A9. I think the A9 is the better value. Look at the flame on this beauty and she plays as nice too.

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Jan/20041314561715775085983.jpg

John Flynn
Jan-31-2004, 11:18pm
I will second the Rigel recomendation. I love mine and I play a wide variety of music on it. I still have never found an instrument in its price range I would trade it for. It has exceptional playability, great volume, good tone and it is really well made in all respects.