PDA

View Full Version : Falling in love

Jerry Haynes
Dec-31-2006, 10:10pm
Am I just losing it or does this happen to other builders??
Seems like with each mandolin I build I get this "attachment" thing going on. Want to keep them all.
I sold one back in the summer, came in the house and laid the money down on the table.. my wife asked me " what's wrong" , I replied ..nothing ..she said I looked like I was about to cry. I laughed, but actually I believe I could have. Felt like I'd just struck out in the 9th inning, bases loaded, you know the feeling....
I hope this is somewhat normal, if not I must seek professional help.

Keith Newell
Jan-01-2007, 12:31am
I asked the same question and got an answer from experienced builders that might help...think of the joy you get having YOUR instrument out there and the joy it could bring to a buyer. Think that you can always build another one and it will have features/techniques you have learned from experience. Think that your name could live on longer then your real life. Send it out and give it the best send off you can, it may be something your grandchildren read about in some auctionhouse in the future.
Happy New year and may it be the best yet.
Keith

Rick Turner
Jan-01-2007, 1:20am
Uhh, ummm, think about your bank account...

Sell those kids as soon as they are born...

Magnus Geijer
Jan-01-2007, 8:46am
Or do what I do. Make at least one mistake per mandolin and then claim you have to keep it, as you don't what to put your name on something that could ruin your future reputation as a builder. It's worked for me so far!

/Magnus