PDA

View Full Version : Gotoh vs. waverly tuners

jelly1
Dec-28-2006, 8:16pm
I would appreciate any suggestions on how to make my mandolin to stay in tune longer. The mandolin I bought last summer came with Gotoh tuners and after experimenting with different strings, I do believe these tuners just don't work very well. I have a new Collings MT2 and it doesn't hold it's tune as well as my old Gibson. Do I really have to spend 400 bucks on some Waverlys to get this instrument to stay in tune?
Has anyone else found this to be the case?
Conny

Jerry Byers
Dec-28-2006, 8:22pm
Grover vs. Waverly (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=13;t=39939)

Search is your friend.

red7flag
Dec-28-2006, 9:40pm
I have a Collings MF and have never had a problem with the Gotohs, either getting or staying in tune. I weird the way they wobble when not strung up, though.
Tony

jelly1
Dec-28-2006, 10:06pm
thanks for the thread to grovers vs. waverlys. I read all the posts and then some..
think I'll get my mando checked for friction in the nut slots
Conny http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

jamie_t123
Dec-29-2006, 10:21am
Try a product called nut sauce..it's a heavy grease used to prevent tuning problems and string breakage...it's not cheap, but it does work..

Bill Snyder
Dec-29-2006, 11:00am
If the nut slots are properly done you will not need any grease in the slots. Personally I would not want any grease anywhere on my instrument.

Bertram Henze
Dec-29-2006, 11:02am
I am using nut sauce with every string change. It's ok for me.

Bertram

sunburst
Dec-29-2006, 11:27am
Well, that was a new one on me, nut sauce.
I had to Google that to see what it was, and it looks to me like I found "Big Bends unparalleled universal remedy!!" (step right up!...) and I wonder if it, in fact, contains snake oil... "No sharps! - No flats! - No more broken string!" UmHmm...

Asside from the in-your-face marketing, it is a product that you don't need if your nut slots fit the strings. A light lubricant, though not needed, may not be a bad thing in a properly fitted nut slot, especially a dry lubricant, (I have no idea what nut sauce is) but a lube shouldn't be used as a substitute for properly fitting nut slots.

There have been so many discussions on this board about tuning problems, and so many posts by experienced and knowledgable luthiers explaining about proper nut slots, that the threads aren't hard to find with the search feature.

first string
Dec-29-2006, 11:52am
Here we go again. Normally I don't mind the constant rehash, but this usually ends up being a little contentious considering that it's just tuners that we are discussing.

Douglas McMullin
Dec-29-2006, 12:57pm
I have a Collings MT that also has Gotoh tuners, and it stays in tune perfectly. Unless you have a bad tuner I suspect there is some other problem. I have Waverly tuners on my Collings guitar. They are darn nice, but I cant say that they are any better at keeping the guitar in tune when compared to any good quality tuner.

dschonbrun
Jan-27-2017, 6:52pm
A bit of graphite deposited in the nut slots between string changes is often a simple and effective solution.

verbs4us
Jan-27-2017, 8:30pm
Gotoh are made in Japan; Waverlys are made in 'Murica. <Removed by Moderator. Posting Guidelines>

Dale Ludewig
Jan-27-2017, 8:35pm
What in the world caused this over 10 year old thread to resurface? Are we in a time warp?

MikeEdgerton
Jan-27-2017, 9:17pm
We've had a couple of these today :)

It just seems to happen.

mandroid
Jan-28-2017, 11:43am
Reply to the Zombie topic ..

One Caveat, on Waverly, and the other high precision tuners, they are not something to just plug in,

a minor peg head hole spacing mis-match is accommodated by lower cost tuners ..,

I got a Mandolin off the classifieds ...

the Waverly tuners were damaged by such a shade tree job,
Gotoh, Grover and the Stew mac etc., other tuners are more flexible.
so down a notch to a suitable substitute and all is well now..

(StewMac, were great, they replaced the tuners after their repair attempt..)

:whistling:

Br1ck
Jan-28-2017, 1:35pm
I'd like to have a nickel for every set of tuners sold due to nut slot issues.