PDA

View Full Version : Gibson "alrite/style d" on ebay

Miko
Dec-27-2006, 5:57pm
Mandolin described as Gibson Alrite/Style D from 1918-1919. No peghead "Gibson" and no label. I expect it's misinformed seller or a scam? Anybody think differently?

John Flynn
Dec-27-2006, 9:43pm
My understanding is that the Gibson Alrite Model D was a civilianized, "deluxe" version of the Gibson Army/Navy, made for a couple of years after WWI. The one on eBay looks like the pictures I have seen. I don't think they did have headstock logos. As far as labels, I don't know, but those things can fall out over the years. I would love to have one of those instruments. I never trust anything on eBay, but I think it could be legit.

John Flynn
Dec-27-2006, 9:54pm
Here's a link to one for sale for $850 at Lark Street Music
http://www.larkstreetmusic.com/list/pict/alrite.jpg

It looks like they did have labels, but not headstock logos. This one looks like the one on eBay, except for the pickguard shape and the tailpiece. I am pretty sure the tailpiece on this one is aftermarket, though, so the pickguard could be also.

Paul Hostetter
Dec-29-2006, 12:56am
The Lark Street pickguard is not original. The eBay one has an original Gibson mandolin pickguard and the original tailpiece base, even if the cover's missing. Funny that the label fell out.

I believe these preceded the Army-Navy items. IIRC, they were made only in 1917 and the Army-Navy was introduced in 1918.

8ch(pl)
Dec-30-2006, 9:01pm
Alrites were made in 1917 only. They became the Army and Navy model in 1918.

Army and Navy Model has a cross brace. The Alrite had 2 tonebars that ran from neck block to tailpiece block, one on each side of the soundhole.

Alrites are less frequent than Army Navy Mandolins.

bsnider
Jan-10-2007, 11:12pm
Well I just went and bought the Alrite that you all have been discussing, so I should be able to post a first-hand report on it soon. I too used the Alrite on Lark Street's website as a reference. Based on that one, I'll be very surprised if this one is not the real thing. And unless something is wrong that doesn't show in the pictures, it is more original and in better shape than the one that Lark Street has.

For anyone that hasn't seen it yet, I've attached a photo. I'll be back with some observations on the instrument after it arrives.

Paul Hostetter
Jan-11-2007, 1:17am
This is pretty much identical to mine, which I bought from a really nice man who claimed (and I believe him) that it had been sitting in its little canvas case since birth and had never been played. It still had its original factory strings. Like a fool, I changed them, and it didn't improve the sound one iota.

Do you think Gibson ever made an Alrite Style C? Or a (gulp) Style A?

atetone
Jan-11-2007, 1:29am
bsnider, I am sure that your mando is not a fake.
I have been watching/studying those particular models for years and I think that one is the real deal.
I haven't bought one yet but thought really hard about bidding on yours but I have my eye on something else right now.
I think you did well.

8ch(pl)
Jan-11-2007, 5:03pm
I think you will find this to be a lovely little instrument. i palyed one that had been converted to X Bracing about a year ago and was rather taken by it.

bsnider
Jan-11-2007, 5:17pm
Thanks for the encouragement, Paul, atetone, and 8ch. I'm honestly surprised that more people weren't bidding on this one.

Again, I'll be sure to post a review when I get that little bugger here to try out.

Bruce

bsnider
Jan-24-2007, 10:09am
The Alrite arrived yesterday, so here's my report.

Cosmetically, the instrument is in very nice condition. It appears to have been oversprayed at some point, but if so, it was done well. The top has sunk considerably, a good 1/8" under the bridge. The neck is straight, and the fretboard is in good condition. The latter is flat from the nut to the body, where it falls off, following the dip in the top. The pickguard is in good condition.

There is one repaired top crack on the treble side, under the pickguard and another that runds the length of the bass side. The latter may have been repaired with a splint. If so, again, it looks like a very clean job.

I like the sound very much, and I would like to make this instrument a daily player. That's going to take some setup work to bring the action down, probably a refret, and an overhaul of the tuners.

I wonder about the top, though. I assume it's sunk as far as it's going to. And, as I said, the instrument sounds very nice. Still, I wonder about opening it up and rebracing it to make it perfect. Anyone have thoughts to share about that?

Bruce

Paul Hostetter
Jan-24-2007, 11:20am
I bet it's as sunk as it's going to get, but it wouldn't hurt to look inside with a mirror and a light and see if things are zut-tut. I have a dead mint Alrite Style D that sat in its case for more than eight decades with its original heavy strings up to pitch. It was totally playable (and still is) with its factory setup. Absent any dome strength, these mandolins can't take getting squished very well. And they've usually lived in a soft canvas end-loading case, which is no help either. You might find a broken or loose brace, and I'd sort that out before doing anything else.

Jim Garber
Jan-24-2007, 11:28am
I would take Paul's advice to heart tho if it is sunken it would make me nervous even if the top braces were fine. I think it would make the instrument work and sound better if it had an induced arch and were set up properly.

Jim

David Newton
Jan-24-2007, 11:30pm
So how come my 1921 Gibson catalog doesn't show the Alrite?

Bill Snyder
Jan-25-2007, 12:18am
Because they were not still being made with the name Alrite. Look above a 8ch(pl)'s post and you will see that they were replaced with the Army/Navy.

David Newton
Jan-25-2007, 10:14am
They probably were never in a catalog like this, either model, I just wanted to show this cool catalog. I always understood that the Army-Navy came first, for sale in PX's only, during and shortly after WW1, and then to the public as the Alrite, later. Am I upside down?
Edit: I probably am, I re-read Walter Carter's article about this, and he seems to indicate the Army-Navy was released to the public in 1918 forward,(eliminating the Alrite).

8ch(pl)
Jan-25-2007, 6:08pm
I think that is more or less it. Perhaps WW1 ended with Gibson having a stock on hand. From what I understand they sold for about $12 or $13 in that era. Is there price listings for A and F models in your Catalogue Dave?

David Newton
Jan-25-2007, 7:55pm
Yes. January 1921. A $79.79 A2 97.52 A3 115.25 A4 132.98 F2 177.30 F4 230.49
Guitar L4 212.76 and Harp U 443.25
You know this is the 1973 reproduction catalog. I got it when it was new.

8ch(pl)
Jan-26-2007, 9:05am
The A price would lead me to believe my $12 or so is a bit low. It should likely be about Half the cost af an A or more.

David Newton
Jan-26-2007, 9:45am
I never thought about the prices listed in the catalog, they are a seperate page glued in the front, not on the page describing the instrument. It seems Gibsons were always pricy!

bsnider
Feb-05-2007, 10:04am
Just wanted to let you all know that the Alrite is all right. Half an hour of setup work, and it's playing great.

Thanks to all who offered advice and information.

Bruce

David Newton
Feb-05-2007, 5:49pm
Does it have the north-south tone bars?

bsnider
Feb-06-2007, 9:31am
Yup. It's got the tone bars and a couple of short lateral braces under the top and one lateral brace across the back.

Keely
Mar-16-2007, 5:52pm
Hi Bruce,
Just wanted to let you know that I have an Alrite as well, and I love it dearly. I called the Gibson company, archives department, and they told me that the Alrite was made for ONE YEAR ONLY---making it a pretty rare instrument. #Even for a flat top D model, I think these are underpriced--I only paid $850 for mine and it was in fabulous condition when I got it, even with its original case and pickguard. #However, in the last few months it has developed a back seam separation, which I need to get repaired. #Anyway, just wanted to let you know that it was only made for one year, so that's why you don't see more of this model. #Enjoy your Alrite!
Keely

David Newton
Mar-21-2007, 8:53am
Anyone see this on the Bay?
<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Army-and-Navy-Mandolin-1920-No-Reserve_W0QQitemZ290094166338QQcategoryZ10179QQrdZ 1Q
QcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-....iewItem</a>

NOT!

Paul Hostetter
Mar-21-2007, 11:53am
Looks a bit toasted.

bsnider
Mar-21-2007, 8:36pm
Thanks for the good wishes, Keely. I can't speak with authority about the relative values of vintage instruments, but I too think that this one represents something of a special case. Unless I'm mistaken, the Alrite was the original pancake and set the pattern for the Army-Navy mandolins, the Flatiron pancakes, and current small-maker models like Peter Sawchyn's beautiful Beaver Tails that followed.

Even if the Alrite doesn't bring big bucks (mine didn't, I'm pleased to say), I think it deserves a hat tip for establishing a style of mandolin that has survived 90 years sounding good and looking cool.

David Newton
Mar-22-2007, 10:58pm
Perhaps one with a different label?

bsnider
Mar-23-2007, 2:48pm
Looks like another member of the family, Dave. Who made that one?

Bill Snyder
Mar-23-2007, 4:53pm
Dave did. Check the classifieds for NEW Navy.

David Newton
Mar-23-2007, 8:53pm
Just more shameless self promotion. But they are nice mandolins.

GTison
Mar-23-2007, 9:22pm
I was looking at that one, I thought it might be a kit made Not 80 years ago. But, what do I know. That headstock is unlike any other gibson headstock, the heel of the neck and 'button" on the back seems too wide, and fretboard doesn't look right tuners not. Is this really a Gibson at all?

David Newton
Mar-23-2007, 10:54pm
All indications are that it is not a Gibson. But it's old, I guess.

Keely
Mar-24-2007, 12:55am
You might want to check this out...Roger Bacorn makes a reproduction of the Gibson Model D Alrite--there's a photo of it on his website. Looks fairly close to the real thing, but with some changes--looks slightly more elongated (although that might just be the photo) and the binding is different. He says that it replicates the "warm and sonorous tone" of the original. He's certainly right about that--the originals do have a warm and sonorous tone! I much prefer mine to my Gibson F9---which is one reason I was able to part with my F9 a couple of months ago.

Keely
Mar-24-2007, 1:00am
By the way, just a reminder----an authentic Alrite does NOT have the Gibson logo on the headstock. I talked to the archivist-on-duty a year or so ago about it...he wasn't sure why, but felt that it was probably because the Alrite was more of a budget line for Gibson--kind of like a 'teens Kalamazoo!!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

This mando was way too good to be around for just one year!

theCOOP
Apr-04-2010, 6:39am
This one is for sale locally as of this morning.

Seemed appropriate to post it here, seeing as no label has been shown yet best I can tell.

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-string-1917-Gibson-Alrite-mandolin-W0QQAdIdZ196264588
http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/kj/100404/784r3/3386jgn_20.jpeg

I could just about afford the $1200 price, but couldn't justify it.

Ray(T)
Apr-04-2010, 9:51am
Trevor appears to have just sold this one - http://www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk/index.php/vintage-mandolins/vintage-gibson-mandolins-previously-sold.html

MandoNicity
Apr-04-2010, 10:32am
Wow! Pretty cool. I don't believe I've ever seen one of these before.

Jill McAuley
Apr-04-2010, 10:51am
They've had 2 hanging around at Elderly's for a fair while now both are going for a little over $1000, but the blurbs mention "some top sinkage".

Cheers,
Jill

theCOOP
Apr-09-2010, 4:41pm
I could just about afford the $1200 price, but couldn't justify it.

YIKES!! It's now $999.00 still can't justify :(

8ch(pl)
Apr-10-2010, 4:49am
The one I saw here in Nova Scotia was priced at $1600 Canadian. It had been converted to X bracing. It really had a nice sound.